Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to avoid TSA search of luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
My experience is every checked bag with any electric wire of any kind packed inside will be searched.
I've worked checked bag often; never seen that.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
My experience is every checked bag with any electric wire of any kind packed inside will be searched.
I deal with checked luggage a lot, it is never just wires in the bag, there has to be more than that.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: TSA
Answer

It depends on the airport and the devices that they are using. You just can't say that is was the curling iron. It could be the soles of the shoes that are in the bag. There are a lot of reasons that the checked baggage gets searched. I know at DEN the bag gets scanned and the tag gets scanned if it is selected for a hand check, then the TSA officers badge gets scanned before he opens the bag and then the two are forever sealed in a computer. If something turns up missing then they look at the bag or the PNR and see what time it was kicked out of the system for hand testing and then view the camera for that date and time and location and everything is on tape.
But as far as what caused it, the passenger can never tell.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LessO2
That's because the traveling case for golf clubs does not feed properly into the CTX machine.
Right. TSA doesn't put the golf bags, skiing, and others into the CTX machines. I know where the large equipment went through L3 Communications is better and there is no potential threat low false alarm rates. I realize that I know where large golf bags, tube, and skiing does not go through CTX-5500 machines. It was too bigs to fitted there. This is where others large equipment bags put into the L3 Communications machines is better way to do it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
My bowling bags with bowling balls always receive the TSA love notes when I check them. One my bowling bags has multiple notes.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
It depends on the airport and the devices that they are using. You just can't say that is was the curling iron. It could be the soles of the shoes that are in the bag. There are a lot of reasons that the checked baggage gets searched. I know at DEN the bag gets scanned and the tag gets scanned if it is selected for a hand check, then the TSA officers badge gets scanned before he opens the bag and then the two are forever sealed in a computer. If something turns up missing then they look at the bag or the PNR and see what time it was kicked out of the system for hand testing and then view the camera for that date and time and location and everything is on tape.
But as far as what caused it, the passenger can never tell.
Can you say definitely that it was not the curling iron that caused the hand inspection?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:54 pm

Some airports dont have the CTX machines (sure would be nice) and must open every bag. It gets old after a while, and raises the injury rate among TSO's.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TSORon
Some airports dont have the CTX machines (sure would be nice) and must open every bag. It gets old after a while, and raises the injury rate among TSO's.
Yes, you're right about this one. Because it was too many problems with TSO is carry the bags to put into the CTX machines. It will hurt with the back. I think you should consider to get bracelet with the black belt. IT will help reduced the injured. It will get too risks serious injured at work. I think you should leave behind the bags go through inline baggage screening system.

I remember where I work by last previously old job at HMS HOST. When I got hurt with my back pains and I couldn't come to work in the morning. I called in that I was unable go to work in the morning. I have stay at home to go to see the doctor at HealthWorks on Shea/Scottsdale Rd. He gave me the medicine will help reduced the back pains.

So first of all, I cannot pushed the carts due to injured with my back hurt. So that's why I have need help to get my assistant manager will pushes the carts. When I have to ordered the Pizza Hut Requisitions for every morning. I have put the cheese into the carts and he will pushes the carts out of the refrigerates & freezers, too. So I have returns back to see the doctor where I need checkup for me that mean my back is getting feel better. There is no restrictions for me at work.

Last edited by N830MH; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:34 pm
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
The bags with what looks to be expensive items are those who get searched the quickest
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: TSA
Hmmm...

Actually in locations with CTX styled machines, an alarm on the CTX is what decides which bag to be searched - especially when it is an inline system. Larger bags will not fit in all of the machines, so they run a much better chance of being searched. I have not seen bags alarm on just wires or wiring. Most bags alarm on things that have been listed here already. I don't know what else you had in the bags, but I don't think the curling iron is what is generating the bag checks for you.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Any advice on how to pack liquids into checked in luggage in order not to trigger bag search?
Let's say I have 3 bottles of sauce (teryaki if matters ) and two bottles of scotch.
Should I pack all the liquids in one bulk or it's better to spread them out in the bag or it just doesn't matter?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can you say definitely that it was not the curling iron that caused the hand inspection?
I know you didn't ask me, but in all the years is worked baggage, on various machines, I have never seen a curling iron be the cause of a search.

Originally Posted by Awtas
Any advice on how to pack liquids into checked in luggage in order not to trigger bag search?
Let's say I have 3 bottles of sauce (teryaki if matters ) and two bottles of scotch.
Should I pack all the liquids in one bulk or it's better to spread them out in the bag or it just doesn't matter?
Oh, those kind of sauces alarm quiet often, no matter how you pack them.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 14, 2010 at 12:30 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:25 am

Frequency of TSA Checked Bag Search

I travel on a US passport 2-4 times a year from between the EU and the US and have found that over the past 10 years my checked bag has been opened and searched every single time almost without exception (I have the little 'hello, we were here' TSA notes to prove it).

I am thinking of leaving some milk and cookies for the inspectors on my next trip!

Statistically it seems unlikely that I am checked at random every time. Do we know of the existence of lists that might highlight the need to selectively check specific passenger bags on such a regular basis?

Is anyone else as 'lucky' as I?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You might take a look at both your bag (very long shot) and what you pack.

If you always use the same bag, next time you travel, use a different one, preferably a different manufacture. That will rule out the slim possibility that there's something in the construction of your bag that looks suspicious on the xray.

Next, take a look at the contents - the things you always pack. I got regular bag searches for a while. It turns out that stacks of books can be confused with bricks of explosive on an xray. Sure enough, the first trip after I read that, I brought back two bags: my regular bag, and a separate cheap-o unlocked bag with nothing but books and a towel. Only the 'book bag' got the search.

If you have the luxury of checking two bags, do that. Pack one with absolutely nothing but soft clothing items. Pack everything else in the other one. If only the second bag gets the search, that would indicate that something you carry regularly looks odd on the xray.

I've never heard of any kind of 'enhanced bag search' list, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by chollie
You might take a look at both your bag (very long shot) and what you pack.

If you always use the same bag, next time you travel, use a different one, preferably a different manufacture. That will rule out the slim possibility that there's something in the construction of your bag that looks suspicious on the xray.

Next, take a look at the contents - the things you always pack. I got regular bag searches for a while. It turns out that stacks of books can be confused with bricks of explosive on an xray. Sure enough, the first trip after I read that, I brought back two bags: my regular bag, and a separate cheap-o unlocked bag with nothing but books and a towel. Only the 'book bag' got the search.
chollie is correct. Most checked bags are inspected by a computed tomography x-ray which automatically alarms on certain items and since it's only designed to "say": "Hey, this looks like an explosive, you should inspect further to rule it out."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.