Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Did Neffenger clip the wings of the BDO program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Neffenger clip the wings of the BDO program?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
No, and I suspect that was because they were trying some sort of 'quota' position to justify the BDOs, even if the folks they were 'catching' posed no threat to aviation security and were, therefore, not TSA's concern.

It kind of made sense to have the BDOs do TDC functions. After all, TSA tells us all the time that their mandate doesn't start until the checkpoint, so there's no reason for the BDO's to be strolling around the landside areas and parking lots harassing people in between playing on their cellphones and chatting with their co-workers. Putting a BDO as TDC ensured that every pax who entered the sterile area had been 'vetted' by another layer of security.

When a BDO strolls around the airport, s/he doesn't stop and interrogate and observe the micro-expressions of every single person - far from it. Unfortunately, when TSA tried to implement a combined BDO/TDC 'layer', the TDC was trying to 'vet' every single pax. Why? That isn't the goal when BDOs wander the terminal.
I have witnessed groups (3 or 4) of TSA screeners patrolling the secure side of the airport and stopping people who have already cleared security and make them present ID's, boarding passes, and answer questions.

BDO's can do the TDC function but why Pre Check. Wouldn't the non-Pre lanes be the more appropriate place for that?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Staffing.

If an FSD told Neffy he didn't have enough staff to open a dedicated Pre lane that people had paid for, Neffy could tell the FSD to use the BDOs to staff the lane (note the reference is to pax and baggage screening, not just TDC). That wouldn't impact staffing levels at regular checkpoints and I suspect even Neffy realizes that the BDOs are overpaid and non-working.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Staffing.

If an FSD told Neffy he didn't have enough staff to open a dedicated Pre lane that people had paid for, Neffy could tell the FSD to use the BDOs to staff the lane (note the reference is to pax and baggage screening, not just TDC). That wouldn't impact staffing levels at regular checkpoints and I suspect even Neffy realizes that the BDOs are overpaid and non-working.
I get the staffing issue but if the BDO's are going to be doing the TDC role then why not on the non-vetted lines? That is where the higher risk, albeit only slightly higher risk, will be found. Putting the BDO's on the Pre line as TDC seems to be an admittance that BDO's offer no security benefit at all.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
...I wonder how soon it will be until a BDO who is working the TDC podium at a PreCheck lane will start spraying their skunky voodoo on unsuspecting travelers by playing the name game and the chat-down game?
I've suspected that is already the case, though not with TDCs. That is, I've met some extremely inquisitive <deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm Reason: Term not used in this forum; please refer to the sticky post.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD

I wonder how soon it will be until a BDO who is working the TDC podium at a PreCheck lane will start spraying their skunky voodoo on unsuspecting travelers by playing the name game and the chat-down game?
June 7, Neffenger stated "those people" were conducting checkpoint duties...next time you see a 2 or 3 stripe at TDC ask if he/she is a BDO.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:00 am

It made perfect sense to have the BDOs do the TDC function as well as their 'voodoo'.

The problem was, when they're in 'voodoo' mode, they don't chat with every single pax. They look for suspicious pax first - then observe or chat them up.

When the TDCs were doing 'voodoo', they were doing it with every single pax, whether or not that pax had exhibited a suspicious behavior. That was unnecessary and caused slowdowns.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It made perfect sense to have the BDOs do the TDC function as well as their 'voodoo'.

The problem was, when they're in 'voodoo' mode, they don't chat with every single pax. They look for suspicious pax first - then observe or chat them up.

When the TDCs were doing 'voodoo', they were doing it with every single pax, whether or not that pax had exhibited a suspicious behavior. That was unnecessary and caused slowdowns.
TDC's are about as useful as BDO's. Tremendous time would be saved, not to mention savings to taxpayers, without either one.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TDC's are about as useful as BDO's. Tremendous time would be saved, not to mention savings to taxpayers, without either one.
After all the citizens they harassed and interrogated over the years, they deserve to spend the rest of their natural lives scribbling on boarding passes.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
After all the citizens they harassed and interrogated over the years, they deserve to spend the rest of their natural lives scribbling on boarding passes.
"Permanent Latrine Orderly (PLO)" would be more fitting.

Yes I'm old.

Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
next time you see a 2 or 3 stripe at TDC ask if he/she is a BDO.
That's:
* Shows unusual interest in security officers and their work routine
* Asks the BDO security-related questions
* Repeating back questions instead of answers

Automatic selectee screening, possible LEO referral.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:31 am

BDO interviews were still alive and well for every passenger at Tucson International Airport last week. Maybe it's such a remote outpost that they never got the message that the plan had ended. It was very definitely a TSA staff member, prior to reaching the document check, and it was not a CBP employee. I got the "where are you going? Why? Who will you be seeing there?"
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
BDO interviews were still alive and well for every passenger at Tucson International Airport last week. Maybe it's such a remote outpost that they never got the message that the plan had ended. It was very definitely a TSA staff member, prior to reaching the document check, and it was not a CBP employee. I got the "where are you going? Why? Who will you be seeing there?"
Hopefully, you did NOT answer.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Neffenger said it is already happening.

A poster on TSA reddit page indicated that behavior detection will become a collateral duty.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:32 am

Neffy doesn't know or care what is actually going on.

If you'll recall, he had to actually visit ORD in person before he (gasp!) realized that a TSA work slowdown was underway. It was all over the news, but somehow Neffy didn't know about it.

Kind of ironic, really: barker TSOs complain that pax arrive at a checkpoint unprepared, yet their own boss doesn't even have a clue what is going on.

I don't know if he lies or he's delusional, but his FSDs will do as they please, and if an FSD wants to continue to allow his BDOs to wander around playing with their cellphones and chatting with and distracting other TSOs while pax are put at risk in congested hours-long lines, then it's going to continue to happen.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:24 am

We determined that TSA met the intent of the first recommendation
because it implemented a strategic plan in response to our audit report and
has since updated the plan for fiscal years 2016 through 2018. However, it
still must execute the actions described in its plans to demonstrate the program's effectiveness.
As of May 2016, TSA reported that it implemented new performance metrics at all 87 Behavioral Detection and Analysis program (BDA) airports, but it has yet to fully assess them to determine their effectiveness. For the second recommendation, as of the time of our exit conference, TSA has not fully transitioned to a new reporting system that is designed to improve data deficiencies in the Performance Measurement and Information System.
https://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/VR/FY...1-VR-Jul16.pdf

Suggestions for changes made by DHS OIG in 2013 and they still aren't fully implemented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.