Wiki Posts
Search

Neffenger's last days?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Neffenger's last days?

Neffenger's last days?

STEPHANOPOULOS: Replace the administrator?
ROYCE: Well, I think we have to have better results at TSA and I think most of the audits show that there are management problems there.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Well, yes, but ... more likely because, as a political appointee, he's out of a job as of 20 January 2017.

I suppose folks could huff and puff and get Neffenger pushed aside, but then anyone else appointed to the job will have, at most, six months to do anything. Given the massive bureaucracy that TSA is, and how completely ineffectual previous administrators have been at making cultural change even with years in office, I'm not sure what getting Neffenger fired would accomplish.

Heck, by the time a new administrator could be confirmed, the summer travel season would be over, and those long lines (see, back on topic ) will have simply disappeared.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, yes, but ... more likely because, as a political appointee, he's out of a job as of 20 January 2017.

I suppose folks could huff and puff and get Neffenger pushed aside, but then anyone else appointed to the job will have, at most, six months to do anything. Given the massive bureaucracy that TSA is, and how completely ineffectual previous administrators have been at making cultural change even with years in office, I'm not sure what getting Neffenger fired would accomplish.

Heck, by the time a new administrator could be confirmed, the summer travel season would be over, and those long lines (see, back on topic ) will have simply disappeared.
The entrenched senior TSA staff can undermine and sabotage anything Neffenger or any other Administrator works for. It takes time to ferret out the resistance and even harder to fire SES level government employees.

Not saying Neffenger hasn't caused these latest issues but he may be fighting the establish TSA insiders. I also think Neffenger has called for tightened screening methods (i.e., New Crotch Grope) that is the primary cause of current delays and long lines.

I don't believe for a second that Pre Check will cure what ails TSA.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
We keep hearing how hard it is to fire incompetent upper level managers and employees.

It is not that difficult to give someone bad reviews when deserved, to deny them merit raises, promotions and bonuses. Sooner or later, some of them will 'self-deport' to greener pastures.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How long he will be last? He had 6 months to fix the problems. Hiring more screeners. If he don't. He could get a real big trouble. He could be fired from TSA administrator. He won't have a chance. He got too much trouble. He never had any security aviation experience before.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The entrenched senior TSA staff can undermine and sabotage anything Neffenger or any other Administrator works for. It takes time to ferret out the resistance and even harder to fire SES level government employees.

Not saying Neffenger hasn't caused these latest issues but he may be fighting the establish TSA insiders. I also think Neffenger has called for tightened screening methods (i.e., New Crotch Grope) that is the primary cause of current delays and long lines.

I don't believe for a second that Pre Check will cure what ails TSA.
He had the full authority to exercise the "120 day rule" following his swearing in and clean house but he didn't do it. I've got no sympathy for him. The only way to continue to show my disgust at everything TSA, DHS, and Patriot Act (other than in the polling place) is to not spend a discretionary dime on air travel.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
He had the full authority to exercise the "120 day rule" following his swearing in and clean house but he didn't do it. I've got no sympathy for him. The only way to continue to show my disgust at everything TSA, DHS, and Patriot Act (other than in the polling place) is to not spend a discretionary dime on air travel.
Yes, he had 120 day rule. If he don't do something. He could get a real big trouble. If he hired more screeners or not. it's his choice. Depends on his budget.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, he had 120 day rule. If he don't do something. He could get a real big trouble. If he hired more screeners or not. it's his choice. Depends on his budget.
He basically ignored this rule. It basically says that a new political appointee agency head can reassign or terminate any political or career SES in his or her agency for no reason within the first 120 days of his or her tenure. Neffy had the opportunity to clean house and he didn't take action.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:23 pm

He thought it was an easy ride until retirement/end of Obama's term. Unfortunately for him, others saw what a weak, AWOL leader he is and decided to push their own agendas.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obama is the only one who can fire Neffenger so he is probably safe, at least for now.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:34 pm

Obama is the only one who can fire Neffenger so he is probably safe, at least for now.
Can't Jeh Johnson fire him? Or reassign him to tub-stacking?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
He basically ignored this rule. It basically says that a new political appointee agency head can reassign or terminate any political or career SES in his or her agency for no reason within the first 120 days of his or her tenure. Neffy had the opportunity to clean house and he didn't take action.
Yes, he did. He's breaks the rules. He's continued to ignored the rule. He didn't listening to everyone. Did he lied?

Yes, president Obama will fired Peter Neffenger. If he doesn't have a choice. He had to go soon.

Originally Posted by chollie
No, actually, president Obama who will fires Peter Neffenger, but not Jeh Johnson.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by jkhuggins

President Clinton won't do a wholesale replacement of appointees after her term starts. The vast majority of Obama appointees will stay on for a period of time, some for years. Most of the cabinet officers will move on, but since it's a Democratic President following another Democratic President, they won't have to resign effective January 20th.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He's a Presidential appointee and I believe works at the pleasure of the President.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

It is not that difficult to give someone bad reviews when deserved, to deny them merit raises, promotions and bonuses. Sooner or later, some of them will 'self-deport' to greener pastures.
Unless they are really, really bad...then they cannot self deport- so you wind up with....

yup, a government agency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.