Wiki Posts
Search

Neffenger's last days?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by catocony
President Clinton won't do a wholesale replacement of appointees after her term starts. The vast majority of Obama appointees will stay on for a period of time, some for years. Most of the cabinet officers will move on, but since it's a Democratic President following another Democratic President, they won't have to resign effective January 20th.
Dang it, I missed the election?!
Old May 24, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
He's a Presidential appointee and I believe works at the pleasure of the President.
And the displeasure of everyone else.

Mike
Old May 26, 2016, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
President Clinton won't do a wholesale replacement of appointees after her term starts. The vast majority of Obama appointees will stay on for a period of time, some for years. Most of the cabinet officers will move on, but since it's a Democratic President following another Democratic President, they won't have to resign effective January 20th.
Right, he have wait for his 2nd terms is over. He will leaves from White House. Nobody knows for sure. If they have a new president of United States. They will tell you when. Just be patient.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not exactly correct. The proper protocol is that every political appointee who hasn't already left submits a resignation letter to the president-elect in December effective January 20th. It's up to the new president to decide to accept or reject the resignation. The only cabinet official who generally is asked to stay beyond January 20th is the SECDEF in order to keep the national command authority intact. Nominating and confirming a new SECDEF is generally one of the first orders of business for a new president and senate.

If Hillary is elected, don't think for a nanosecond that she won't put in her own people. Among the Obama appointees, there are scores to settle. She knows who supported her and who supported Bernie (or others). She will want people loyal to her in key positions. Her transition team will inform key Obama political appointees concerning their future. Those who know they won't be asked to stay or who simply have had enough will start to leave shortly. The first wave will be after the conventions and the second wave will start around the time of the general election. I know several at the assistant secretary level who will be gone by Labor Day.

Having said this, the job of TSA administrator is so far down on the list that the job will be vacant for the better part of a year or more into the new administration. Unless there's a huge green pasture that becomes available for him between now and November, I expect Neffy to stay to the bitter end.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Please let's not cross into OMNI/PR territory.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old May 26, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Not exactly correct.
I could have elaborated, but the point is that when parties don't change, you tend to have a fairly drawn out replacement process. Unless she has a serious issue with someone, they'll remain on past Jan 20th, particularly if it requires Senate confirmation.

TSA poo-bah might not be that low on the list of priorities, especially with the issues right now. No one seems to like TSA, but no one seems inclined to change much about it. I doubt if "service" will improve much this year, unless they go back to widescale Fre-Check/<infrequent traveler>-Check.

The word that they stopped that due to chronic failures of detecting test bombs and such is silly. There were zero security issues the year or two that Managed Inclusion ran. This, coupled with the fact that a high percentage of test items passed through undetected, says two things. One, there really isn't anyone trying to slip weapons through to hijack a plane. We know this because two, if there were, there's a high likelihood that TSA would never catch them. The fact that there have been no incidents on planes despite TSA not being able to detect something unless it's a bottle of water or a tube of toothpaste pretty much confirms this. This isn't breaking news - TSA has always had a high rate of failure in Red Team testing.

Last edited by TWA884; May 26, 2016 at 11:27 am Reason: Delete derisive term that was used in violation of this forum's sticky post
Old May 26, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

I could have elaborated, but the point is that when parties don't change, you tend to have a fairly drawn out replacement process. Unless she has a serious issue with someone, they'll remain on past Jan 20th, particularly if it requires Senate confirmation.

TSA poo-bah might not be that low on the list of priorities, especially with the issues right now. No one seems to like TSA, but no one seems inclined to change much about it. I doubt if "service" will improve much this year, unless they go back to widescale Fre-Check/<infrequent traveler>-Check.

The word that they stopped that due to chronic failures of detecting test bombs and such is silly. There were zero security issues the year or two that Managed Inclusion ran. This, coupled with the fact that a high percentage of test items passed through undetected, says two things. One, there really isn't anyone trying to slip weapons through to hijack a plane. We know this because two, if there were, there's a high likelihood that TSA would never catch them. The fact that there have been no incidents on planes despite TSA not being able to detect something unless it's a bottle of water or a tube of toothpaste pretty much confirms this. This isn't breaking news - TSA has always had a high rate of failure in Red Team testing.

IIRC, it stopped because sissy-pants members of Congress were appalled that the unwashed were not being thoroughly vetted and were just being sent to Pre willy-nilly not particularly because of the dismal failure to pass IG/Red Team testing.

I don't know where I read it, but in the last few days I've seen a statement to the effect that TSA is doing much better on passing tests. Of course, there were no facts to prove that statement.

Last edited by TWA884; May 26, 2016 at 11:28 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.