Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Trusted Traveler Programs and your Personal Privacy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trusted Traveler Programs and your Personal Privacy

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by petaluma1
However, aren't you concerned that if the FBI has its way, you won't be able to find out what information it has if the need arises?
I think we should be able to see or know what information the FBI, or any other agency for that matter, has on us but I'm assuming in my case it's just about everything. Not sure it rises to the level of concern because of my lengthy and continuing association with the government. I suppose it could be argued that I waived or at least knowingly gave up a certain level of my privacy by choosing to work for the Federal government. Of course trusting that the government never uses that information for other than its intended purposes is obviously problematic.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, aren't you concerned that if the FBI has its way, you won't be able to find out what information it has if the need arises?
You can probably check with China. All those data are collected and stored by Office of Personnel Management and they basically left the door open for hackers to copy it all. Investigation notes and photos of fingerprints included.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I think we should be able to see or know what information the FBI, or any other agency for that matter, has on us but I'm assuming in my case it's just about everything. Not sure it rises to the level of concern because of my lengthy and continuing association with the government. I suppose it could be argued that I waived or at least knowingly gave up a certain level of my privacy by choosing to work for the Federal government. Of course trusting that the government never uses that information for other than its intended purposes is obviously problematic.
The government already has or can easily get information on me.

What does concern me most isn't even the ways the information might be misused by agencies (like TSA or even CBP) that assume you are guilty until such time as you can conditionally prove your innocence.

What concerns me most is the deliberate lack of transparency and the unwillingness to promptly address and thoroughly correct any errors, errors that can have huge negative effects on innocent people's lives.

A few high-profile names were 'accidentally' added to the no-fly list over the years: Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, a CNN (?) journalist who upset someone. Those folks had enough clout to get their names removed, although no one ever explained how they inexplicably ended up on the no-fly list in the first place. The late Sen. Ted Stevens' wife ended up on the no-fly list in a very frightening way: because her nickname is 'Kat', the government's clever system couldn't tell an old white woman from a younger male singer who at one time used the name 'Cat' Stevens. Again, because of her husband's high position and connections, she was able to get her problem resolved immediately. Ordinary folks like me would never be able to straighten things out.

You can manipulate data to 'prove' practically anything, particularly if you deny the accused any reasonable* means of challenge or redress.

* By 'reasonable', I mean a process that takes days to clear up, not years, and that does not require lawyers and $$ or high political connections to resolve.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
You can probably check with China. All those data are collected and stored by Office of Personnel Management and they basically left the door open for hackers to copy it all. Investigation notes and photos of fingerprints included.
Data given to other agencies is being funneled to the FBI. Justice has entered in the Federal Register a Notice of Rule Making asking to exempt that data from disclosure in Privacy Act requests. Public comments close on 6-6-16.

I find it troubling that any data I give to one agency, say the TSA for a Pre Check application filters over to the FBI for inclusion in their biometric database. Where else is that information going and who else has access?

If FBI/Justice gets their way you will not be able to see what has been collected or verify it's accuracy.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I think US persons ought to have a legal right to access any and all US/domestic government dossiers on themselves unless the government can demonstrate in court that the individual is a specific target or material witness in a criminal investigation for a crime that has been committed. Otherwise what we have is a Stasi-style approach that is but a societal cancer. So you can count me in as opposing this DOJ effort.

Unfortunately, you can bet (and win) that I won't get my way on this either.

Privacy rights and the right to know and correct governmental records about one's self are dying more than they have already died in the US. And with such deaths, so withers the public's ability to hold government accountable and to be persons free to travel as free persons should be able to travel.

Originally Posted by TWA884
I've never had to supply fingerprints when applying for a US Passport.
Fingerprints are not a requirement to apply for a US passport, and they are not a requirement to receive a US passport.

But most applications for most US passports have fingerprints on them, but it's very rare that such fingerprints on an application would become an issue.

But DHS "trusted traveler" programs require most applicants to supply fingerprints. That information is way more frequently utilized by state and state sponsored actors beyond just the US DHS.

I don't recall having to submit my fingerprints the first time I had OPM take me in for work at 1600 Penn Ave NW and for some years thereafter. I do recall DHS wanting my fingerprints for Global Entry since the start of the program. Rather amusing who was more eager for my fingerprints.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 26, 2016 at 7:13 am
Old May 26, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't recall having to submit my fingerprints the first time I had OPM take me in for work at 1600 Penn Ave NW and for some years thereafter. I do recall DHS wanting my fingerprints for Global Entry since the start of the program. Rather amusing who was more eager for my fingerprints.
Interesting. My very first government job 40+ years ago was working as the night receptionist at a military hospital. Perfect job for a college student that gave me a relatively good income and benefits and permitted me to go school during the day. I remember them taking my finger prints as they messed up and I had to go back to the personnel office to have them retaken. Through the rest of my career I was refingerprinted when my security clearance was upgraded to secret then again when it was upgraded to top secret and once again to get a NATO clearance. Probably went 30+ years until I was fingerprinted again for GE.

Last edited by Randyk47; May 26, 2016 at 8:20 am
Old May 26, 2016, 9:31 am

But DHS "trusted traveler" programs require most applicants to supply fingerprints. That information is way more frequently utilized by state and state sponsored actors beyond just the US DHS.
I guess some people are totally blind and just don't see this or they feel they have "nothing to hide" so why not.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I guess some people are totally blind and just don't see this or they feel they have "nothing to hide" so why not.
I have 'nothing to hide'. I also have perfect credit.

That didn't prevent me from spending many hours over a period of many months trying to get an error in my credit report corrected.

I have a friend who is, once again, fighting SS. Somehow, she keeps getting declared dead. Do you know how hard it is to 'prove' you are alive when the person sitting across the desk from you keeps staring at their computer screen and saying "but it says here that you are dead, and I don't have a way to prove you are not"?

I have nothing to hide, but I do fear unaccountable secretive organizations that refuse to immediately and transparently address and correct any incorrect information that might show up in my file.

The FBI has already chillingly demonstrated a willingness to spend enormous amounts of taxpayer $$ and to trash someone's life just to avoid admitting one of their agents made a mistake.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:39 am

Question from passenger at AskTSA:

Wondering why we were told to NOT take our laptops out, shoes or jackets off or remove liquids from Ft. Lauderdale airport on 5/20
AskTSA's response:

We incorporates layered, random, & unpredictable security measures throughout our nation’s airports....These types of variations provide randomness & unpredictability that discourages attempts to bypass our security.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I don't recall having to submit my fingerprints the first time I had OPM take me in for work at 1600 Penn Ave NW and for some years thereafter.
That would surprise me, since I had to submit fingerprints for an unpaid summer job at main Treasury.

I have had to submit them every time I've changed jobs in the last 15 years (finance).
Old May 26, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
That would surprise me, since I had to submit fingerprints for an unpaid summer job at main Treasury.

I have had to submit them every time I've changed jobs in the last 15 years (finance).
I would be surprised if everyone here has been doing federal government work in all the same ways during exactly all the same time periods.

I just confirmed that you should be surprised. It was only after my above-mentioned initial engagement that my fingerprints got into federal records matched to my name.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:29 am

Our grade school fingerprinted us around 2nd grade after several high profile disappearances and murders.

So I'm assuming they're buried in some file or on the FBI fingerprint database anyways.

As far as TrustedTraveler data, they're mostly mining government and public databases for your clearance. It's not as if it's information they magically manufacturer just because you signed up for TrustedTraveler.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Our grade school fingerprinted us around 2nd grade after several high profile disappearances and murders.

So I'm assuming they're buried in some file or on the FBI fingerprint database anyways.

As far as TrustedTraveler data, they're mostly mining government and public databases for your clearance. It's not as if it's information they magically manufacturer just because you signed up for TrustedTraveler.
When it comes to fingerprints taken from a person when at ages 0-9 years old, those fingerprints are not all that useful for matching against the same person at age 50-59 years of age.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
So how does one go about filing an FOIA request to find out what information the FBI (or other three-letter agencies, for that matter) have BEFORE that June 6th deadline?
Old May 31, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
Originally Posted by cestmoi123

Exactly, I had to be fingerprinted to become volunteer for the County.

The gym took my fingerprints to use in the access turnstyle when I got a membership.

And, come to think of it, the hospital took my fingerprints as newborn cause I saw them in my baby book...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.