Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSO Shouting Instructions: "Nothing else in the Universe w/your laptop"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSO Shouting Instructions: "Nothing else in the Universe w/your laptop"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:20 am

Since it would be trouble to just pepper spray him, I'd love to "take the high road:"

Stop, calmly explain, "Hi, I'm Dr. Mats. Let's go sit down over here. You seem pretty upset..."

Maybe he would open up about his abusive childhood, struggles with alcohol, unhappy marriage, unhappy mortgage, or whatever else is causing him to act out.

That's a fantasy of course. But this guy represents what I see so often (especially at O'Hare and Newark): complete inability to control emotions. This guy is sick; he needs help. It's not just that he's embarrassing himself and his employer, it's that he's in a fair amount of distress. He's genuinely furious that people might have Kleenex in their pockets. That's a loss of rational thinking.

This man has the potential to endanger many people:

- His greatest risk is to himself. He's struggling.

- If a real threat presented itself, he would either be distracted by his own performance, and/or unlikely to control his emotional response. The key to emergency response is under-reaction.

- As if they didn't have a problem before, he discredits aviation security as a concept. No reasonable person would have faith in the security measures in place. The rules are senseless anyway, but if they are enforced with histrionics and anger, nobody is going to listen.

The TSA staff complain so bitterly about how they lack respect. This is why. I am uncertain as to why TSA supervisors take such a permissive approach to such public displays of psychopathology. The TSA could help its credibility (and help its staff and their families) if it took the more active role of finding help for guys like this.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

I've always been told I'm allowed to keep my passport with me (they set it with my stuff during the pat down after a hand search), so that's one thing he is incorrect on.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA screeners doing actual work is a SOP violation.
TSA screener or TSA screamers? Is there a difference?

ADDED: I'm not sure someone with such extreme anger management problems should be given access to the secure area of an airport.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Mats
Since it would be trouble to just pepper spray him, I'd love to "take the high road:"

Stop, calmly explain, "Hi, I'm Dr. Mats. Let's go sit down over here. You seem pretty upset..."

Maybe he would open up about his abusive childhood, struggles with alcohol, unhappy marriage, unhappy mortgage, or whatever else is causing him to act out.

That's a fantasy of course. But this guy represents what I see so often (especially at O'Hare and Newark): complete inability to control emotions. This guy is sick; he needs help. It's not just that he's embarrassing himself and his employer, it's that he's in a fair amount of distress. He's genuinely furious that people might have Kleenex in their pockets. That's a loss of rational thinking.

This man has the potential to endanger many people:

- His greatest risk is to himself. He's struggling.

- If a real threat presented itself, he would either be distracted by his own performance, and/or unlikely to control his emotional response. The key to emergency response is under-reaction.

- As if they didn't have a problem before, he discredits aviation security as a concept. No reasonable person would have faith in the security measures in place. The rules are senseless anyway, but if they are enforced with histrionics and anger, nobody is going to listen.

The TSA staff complain so bitterly about how they lack respect. This is why. I am uncertain as to why TSA supervisors take such a permissive approach to such public displays of psychopathology. The TSA could help its credibility (and help its staff and their families) if it took the more active role of finding help for guys like this.
Some of this is down to training, training people who do not have a clue who their 'customer base' is.

I've seen TSOs rant here and elsewhere about 'stupid' people who show up at the checkpoints not knowing what to expect. Those TSOs take it personally, like they've told the pax 100 times, how can they be so stupid, etc.

Someone really needs to do a study (if one hasn't already been done) to determine just how many of the folks who show up at the checkpoint are infrequent or first-time flyers. Then explain to these idiot unprofessional barking TSOs that many of these pax have never heard the rules before. They are not stupid, they are innocent, decent people being yelled at for not knowing the unpublished rules that change with every checkpoint and every screener.

This clown acts like an exasperated parent or teacher or drill sergeant: "I've told you people a thousand times before, why do I have to keep repeating myself, bla-bla". Hey, sport - you have to keep repeating yourself because 1) you make up the rules as you go, so what you are barking today isn't necessarily the same thing you or your comrade barked yesterday and 2) many of these pax have never heard your spiel or they flew through a different airport a week ago and heard a different set of rules.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chollie
Some of this is down to training, training people who do not have a clue who their 'customer base' is.

I've seen TSOs rant here and elsewhere about 'stupid' people who show up at the checkpoints not knowing what to expect. Those TSOs take it personally, like they've told the pax 100 times, how can they be so stupid, etc.

Someone really needs to do a study (if one hasn't already been done) to determine just how many of the folks who show up at the checkpoint are infrequent or first-time flyers. Then explain to these idiot unprofessional barking TSOs that many of these pax have never heard the rules before. They are not stupid, they are innocent, decent people being yelled at for not knowing the unpublished rules that change with every checkpoint and every screener.

This clown acts like an exasperated parent or teacher or drill sergeant: "I've told you people a thousand times before, why do I have to keep repeating myself, bla-bla". Hey, sport - you have to keep repeating yourself because 1) your agency has no consistent rules, so what you are barking today isn't necessarily the same thing your comrade barked yesterday and 2) many of these pax have never heard your spiel or they flew through a different airport a week ago and heard a different set of rules.
It's really funny that TSA employees think that other people are stupid. Maybe it takes one to know one?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:47 am

I blame it on lack of leadership.

Good leadership would remind TSOs that they can not assume that the pax at the checkpoint speaks or reads English, has good hearing, has flown before, and knows what the individual screener rules are that apply at that checkpoint on that day.

They should act as though every single one of these pax are flying for the first time (in the US - non-US checkpoints won't prepare you for the madness that is TSA). They should act as though none of these pax know the particular screener rules in place at that checkpoint on that day: whether light saber canes and Buzz Lightyear Griptoys and generously-frosted cupcakes or medical nitro pills are allowed that day or not.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TSA screener or TSA screamers? Is there a difference?

ADDED: I'm not sure someone with such extreme anger management problems should be given access to the secure area of an airport.
I would go as far as suggesting that a person of this type is not fit to be a government employee. If TSA employees require a security clearance of any type then this person in my mind is not qualified.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:05 am

His time would be better spent the way it is at some European airports: stand at the belt and quietly guide pax who don't know the SOP-of-the-Day.

You can tell by the looks on the faces of some of the pax, they are avoiding eye contact and embarrassed by his yelling. In their situation, I'd be looking elsewhere and trying to tune him out, too. There's already too much noise pollution at too many US airports.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
lack of leadership

The obvious fact is that the senior TSA management at the airport think this is proper behavior, otherwise it would not be allowed to continue. Do they actually believe that people truly listen to that sort of barking. I would think that 95% of passengers automatically tune him out due to his attitude.

However, they must actually believe that this is the most productive use of that employee's time. It is inescapable that TSA does not have a few "bad apples" but rather, is rotten throughout the entire barrel.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:57 am

We send privileged TSA folks to foreign airports - places like CDG, for instance.

Too bad we don't ask those folks to take a few minutes during their taxpayer-funded boondoggle to observe their checkpoints.

No specially-overpriced-for-the-taxpayer big-screen TVs and overhead sound systems bellowing a non-stop loop of advice, some of it outdated or incorrect. No dozens of signs and agents barking conflicting commands. Half the number of people staffing a checkpoint, all seemingly actively performing a useful task. No idiot confusion of people standing around, separated from and unable to see their belongings, while waiting for an 'anomaly resolution' grope.

Instead, privileged TSA employees get to party on the US taxpayer dollar while telling non-US security how to do it like we do.

I wonder what the test scores would look like at some of these non-US airports where we have told them how to do things better by copying us. Be funny if they treat pax better with a smaller staff and still get better test scores.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, United
As some have said it comes down to training and leadership in a customer service based atmosphere. It happens in many industries. I sent the video to FSD at ORD.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:22 am

Are we all watching the same video? I watched twice and it looks like a slightly obnoxious TSA agent giving instructions. I'm not seeing the screaming/shouting/extreme anger that others are describing in their comments.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
I've always been told I'm allowed to keep my passport with me (they set it with my stuff during the pat down after a hand search), so that's one thing he is incorrect on.
I got yelled at for keeping my passport and BP with me once by a similar TSA worker at another airport. I kept it with me because I had been yelled at for not keeping it with me at a different airport.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hopingtofly
Are we all watching the same video? I watched twice and it looks like a slightly obnoxious TSA agent giving instructions. I'm not seeing the screaming/shouting/extreme anger that others are describing in their comments.
Do you think his behavior was professional?

Do you think his behavior contributed anything positive? Might his time have been better spent checking IDs to speed things up?

Have you ever witnessed a security screener behaving this way at any non-US airport?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: A few, *G,
yes
yes
yes

Me thinks the vocal few in this thread look for anything to complain about.

Maybe each queue should have a sensitive comfort person assigned for each and every pax, who can speak to each in soft calming levels, soothing their possible anxieties arising from how they will "feel" moving through the inspection queue.

Or one person can convey instructions to many, at the same time. Being loud like a loud speaker is not anger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.