Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying on 9/11 and odd TSA question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A person is not required to have completed high school and could qualify as a TSA screener. Initial training is all of 80 hours.
I have a friend that applied for and was accepted for a job as a TSA screener. He said that he would go to an orientation-type training for 5 days in his area (fill out paperwork, get his badge, uniform sizes, etc). He would then be required to attend a 2-week training in GA. He would return to his area and get some practical training at a Northern CA airport for a few weeks before he starts work at his much smaller local airport.

He started his training the 3rd week of March. He encountered snafu after snafu with all paperwork he was required to submit. It was initially lost, found, resubmitted. He was in the orientation with 3 others. One was guy in his 50s or 60s that used to be a prison guard. All through the orientation, this guy would spout all sorts of inappropriate comments. The other 2 struggled completing some computer based training sessions. The 3 class members received their travel plans for their flights to GA except for my friend. They couldn't find his travel docs and said he would have to be rescheduled for that portion of training. In the end, my friend gave up and quit because he was so frustrated with the entire process.

One funny thing he said about his orientation training is that they spent an entire afternoon on the proper way to put gloves on. How ridiculous is that?

I told my friend he is better off not working for the TSA.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I have a friend that applied for and was accepted for a job as a TSA screener. He said that he would go to an orientation-type training for 5 days in his area (fill out paperwork, get his badge, uniform sizes, etc). He would then be required to attend a 2-week training in GA. He would return to his area and get some practical training at a Northern CA airport for a few weeks before he starts work at his much smaller local airport.

He started his training the 3rd week of March. He encountered snafu after snafu with all paperwork he was required to submit. It was initially lost, found, resubmitted. He was in the orientation with 3 others. One was guy in his 50s or 60s that used to be a prison guard. All through the orientation, this guy would spout all sorts of inappropriate comments. The other 2 struggled completing some computer based training sessions. The 3 class members received their travel plans for their flights to GA except for my friend. They couldn't find his travel docs and said he would have to be rescheduled for that portion of training. In the end, my friend gave up and quit because he was so frustrated with the entire process.

One funny thing he said about his orientation training is that they spent an entire afternoon on the proper way to put gloves on. How ridiculous is that?

Sounds like a typical TSA operation doesn't it?

If the former guard was a federal prison guard their mandatory retirement age is 57. Most look for a second career.

The GA trip would be to the new TSA Training Academy. Apparently training was done locally at each airport/area resulting in the various interpretations of TSA polices that we travelers experience daily. If they don't add a fitness requirement to the academy then I don't think it will help things very much.

The glove thing bothers me. Why do TSA employees checking ID's or doing other task that don't involve hand searching baggage need gloves? And if they do need gloves shouldn't we passengers have a tyvek suit before those dirty gloves touch us?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr

This is just priceless! All the "training academy" is going to do is squander more of our money. It most definitely will NOT produce more professional screeners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.