Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA TSA Problems at CBP South Concourse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
What prosecution authority does TSA have?
They have the ability to be a complainant in a criminal proceeding, just like any civilian or civilian agency. If they choose not to do that when there is clear evidence of criminal wrongdoing by their employees, they are tacitly approving the criminal behavior.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
What prosecution authority does TSA have?

And the local prosecutor did not press charges either because there were not any victims who came forward?
But there was a government employee witness that saw the crime.

TSA can present a complaint to the federal prosecutor. TSA screeners being a government employee and working in an area controlled by the government should be subject to federal laws while on the job.

With that said, TSA didn't even push for legal charges with the local prosecutors. Seems that TSA could have made a legal complaint to the police.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:12 am

people never taught about manners, morality, courtesy and respect! You can be in manner and respectful to others while doing your job but CBP and TSA people careless.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by flyingmango
It is always a pleasure to pass through any airport in Asia thru both immigration and security. Coming back to the states is embarrassing and stressful. What is this need to yell and bully people? I don't understand Thai or Chinese but I'm processed quickly, efficiently and with politeness. When I pass thru the TSA checkpoints, it's nothing but yelling, incompetency, and bullying. And of course the made-up rules and stupidity. And what is it with the shaved heads, tattoos on the neck (Chicago), and stupid uniforms? My days of going to the US are coming to an end I hate to say.
Agree!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
people never taught about manners, morality, courtesy and respect! You can be in manner and respectful to others while doing your job but CBP and TSA people careless.
This is something that the TSA "training academy" will never be able to correct.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by petaluma1
No TSA "training academy" will ever fix behaviors such as the above comment outlines, no matter what Neffenger believes.
Sure it could. You don't see Disney employees treating guests this way, even when they're doing bag checks at park entrances.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Sure it could. You don't see Disney employees treating guests this way, even when they're doing bag checks at park entrances.
That's because there are rules and there are consequences for not following the rules.

I suppose Neffenger thinks talking instead of barking and eliminating groin chops would distract from the mission.

People might forget for a moment that they are at a US checkpoint and not somewhere else in the world.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Disney draws from a totally different demographic than does TSA.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I doubt that the educational and skill background of TSA staffers and gate clerks/line minders at Disney are that dramatically different.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think so. Many of those people at Disney parks arrived by airplane.
And aren't air travelers pretty much just a cross section of the population?

The difference is that people want to get in the Disney park and the Disney security people do what they do with a smile and do it with a minimum of bother.

I think TSA could well use some training by the Disney folks. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't think so. Many of those people at Disney parks arrived by airplane.
And aren't air travelers pretty much just a cross section of the population?

The difference is that people want to get in the Disney park and the Disney security people do what they do with a smile and do it with a minimum of bother.

I think TSA could well use some training by the Disney folks. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything.
I meant as employees, not visitors, Boggie Dog.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant as employees, not visitors, Boggie Dog.
I would agree that Disney employees, for the most part, are likely to be of a higher caliber when compared to TSA employees.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To return to the OP's comment that the line was an hour long. Was it not possible to follow the exit signs, with or without rechecking the bags in thus area, and go through TSA security in the lines for departing passengers? This would especially be likely to save time if the OP has elite status or PreCheck on the boarding pass.
It would have worked with precheck, but not if the OP didn't have it.
I got the following message from DL last week, both emails and text:

"Due to an increase in security wait times for TSA screening, passengers departing Seattle, WA (SEA) are encouraged to arrive 2 hours prior to their scheduled departure time for domestic travel and 3 hours for international travel. To expedite the security process, we recommend visiting tsa.gov and applying for TSA recheck."

Security lines were outrageous and supposedly aren't going to get better in the near future...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To return to the OP's comment that the line was an hour long. Was it not possible to follow the exit signs, with or without rechecking the bags in thus area, and go through TSA security in the lines for departing passengers? This would especially be likely to save time if the OP has elite status or PreCheck on the boarding pass.
The line itself was actually short and I kept thinking to myself that things would speed up, which is the big reason I didn't initially leave and exit out. A line of that length at most airports wouldn't take more than 15 minutes at most. After waiting ~20 minutes, I figured I'd wait it out.

As I turned the corner and was able to observe the checkpoint, it was obvious the problem was the TSA "officers" and their "mishandling" of foreign passengers. The TSA was just clueless and they'd get frustrated when a foreign passenger didn't follow "instructions" -- they'd basically stop the line, yell at and try to shame non-english speaking visitors for not understanding their screening procedures.

If I was treated like that as a guest in another country, I'd never return. I've never seen the TSA stoop this low at any other airport when it comes to treatment of foreign visitors.

SDF
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You have the SEA FSD and a multitude of approving TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs to thank for this.

Neffenger doesn't care what the pax experience is like. For some reason (perhaps he has never transited a non-US checkpoint with his eyes open?) he can't seem to grasp that professional, courteous behavior can co-exist with and even enhance security.

Unfortunately, it's been clear for a while now that many TSOs also feel dissatisfied with their leadership. They take it out on the pax - or they leave in high numbers. I don't imagine the current slowdowns are fun for working TSOs at the checkpoint. The economy is improving - I wonder how many good TSOs are going to get fed up with needlessly over-stressed pax and enforced slowdowns and are going to seek other employment - leaving the workforce even worse off.

If the crowds continue to grow, it might even crowd the non-working clusters of TSOs, LTSOs and STSOs hanging around closed unmanned checkpoints. They need their cellphones because they are all following Ask TSA, eager to immediately address any tweets critical of their own airport.

Not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.