Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
You perceive 'screening problems' from a pax's viewpoint.

HQ views 'screening problems' from a payoff standpoint.

These CT scanners aren't going to be cheap - someone's going to make a bundle of money off this deal, whether or not they make a difference in the pax experience.
Yes, I do look at screening issues from a passengers perspective.

Faster screening is a safer checkpoint for travelers.

More effective tech, CT or whatever, is better for pax.

In fact just about any checkpoint improvement is better for pax.

How about some robots to replace the human screeners, that's the real weak point!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Question.

Is the TSA a federal government department or a private or semi government entity?

And who is responsible or who decides on protocols in handling passengers at the security check points and how passengers are cleared? The airport management or the TSA?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
Question.

Is the TSA a federal government department or a private or semi government entity?

And who is responsible or who decides on protocols in handling passengers at the security check points and how passengers are cleared? The airport management or the TSA?
TSA is a federal agency within the Department of Homeland Security. TSA has the authority to create rules and set screening standards.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA is a federal agency within the Department of Homeland Security. TSA has the authority to create rules and set screening standards.
Okey, thanks for clarifying

Last edited by wolf72; Aug 17, 2016 at 2:57 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Peter Greenberg:
Travel Tip: How TSA Lines & Wait Times are Improving

Excerpts:

The TSA lines and the waiting times have actually gotten shorter. Despite the high passenger numbers, the TSA has done some major reorganization. For example, at the Denver Airport, which had its ten busiest travel days in history this summer, average wait times dropped to just 18 minutes.

The TSA has re-deployed manpower and figured out how to more intelligently match staffing to actual airline schedules. The airlines have also helped out with staffers to do basic tasks like moving carry-on bins and directing passengers.

Now for some good news—the TSA says it plans to keep those workers on the job through the equally crowded Thanksgiving and Christmas periods.

Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Surprise, surprise. Long lines apparently have returned to ORD.

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/740218595754512384
I was at ORD T2 last week and was able to walk right up to the podium in the Precheck line. I was through in <5 minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dustman81
I was at ORD T2 last week and was able to walk right up to the podium in the Precheck line. I was through in <5 minutes.
Last week, it took me well under two minutes from check-in to get airside as a result of the empty TSA PreCheck line there at ORD. At other times, it's been a much longer line. And there isn't always an obvious way for every PreCheck user to know if they can get airside in under two minutes or closer to 10-25 times that when it comes to their flight.

Making plans with PreCheck in mind can be quite the more extreme gamble for the average American compared to making plans as if PreCheck may be unavailable to the average American. That variance in outcome undercuts the value a person may get out of PreCheck.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

A question about why more people are not applying for Precheck and the discussion that followed were moved to a new thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:42 am

Lines at airports are becoming so long that Disney Express is now picking up travelers for MCO 4 hours before their flights as MCO is telling all travelers to arrive 3 hours prior to their domestic flight.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
This week, given it's Thanksgiving, will be bad (isn't it always?). Took about 10 minutes in the PreCheck lane today to get to the front.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:49 pm

The PRE lines at PDX two weeks ago were considerably longer and slower than the regular lines due to every other person being pulled aside for secondary screening. I asked and was told that it was a "new point of emphasis" for PRE. Not sure what the point of having PRE is if that's the result.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster
The PRE lines at PDX two weeks ago were considerably longer and slower than the regular lines due to every other person being pulled aside for secondary screening. I asked and was told that it was a "new point of emphasis" for PRE. Not sure what the point of having PRE is if that's the result.
The point of Pre has been and will always be not falling for the TSA scam. Dividing the TSA screener force slows down screening for everyone.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Flying out of MCO tonight, have to go through security twice, once to visit the UA Club at Airside 3 and another to catch my WN flight out of Airside 2. This is going to be fun.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:33 am

Reports from @TSA indicate that things were better yesterday. Isn't it interesting how TSA can move people when it is necessary?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
At terminal D at DFW late afternoon / early evening yesterday things were pretty busy, but not horrible. They were pretty efficient in directing people and also had all the lanes open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.