Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

On the uselessness of the guards of the TSA line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On the uselessness of the guards of the TSA line

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: 1 thousand
At SFO they have someone guarding the entrance to Precheck, and it seems to actually be quite useful. Every time I'm walking towards the precheck line I see at least 1 or 2 people attempt to enter, and get turned away when they're told it's not the right line.

It's not hard to just show my BP to them, seeing as I need to show it to the ID checker about 10 steps later. If you don't have your BP out at that stage you're going to be holding everyone else up while you dig out your BP at the ID checker. Admittedly I can see this being different where there are a significant number of people using precheck, but the checkpoint I use is pretty much empty most of the time.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by televisor
At SFO they have someone guarding the entrance to Precheck, and it seems to actually be quite useful. Every time I'm walking towards the precheck line I see at least 1 or 2 people attempt to enter, and get turned away when they're told it's not the right line.

It's not hard to just show my BP to them, seeing as I need to show it to the ID checker about 10 steps later. If you don't have your BP out at that stage you're going to be holding everyone else up while you dig out your BP at the ID checker. Admittedly I can see this being different where there are a significant number of people using precheck, but the checkpoint I use is pretty much empty most of the time.
Yes, but as I think has already been mentioned in this thread, if someone walks past this sentry and smiles and says, "Precheck" and keeps walking, that person almost assuredly is supposed to be in that line and isn't the class of passenger that needs to be hassled and held up. They don't need to be accosted for not stopping to have their boarding pass examined.

It's the infrequent travelers who don't know where to go that might accidentally get into that line without knowing they shouldn't be there and they are the ones who should be stopped as soon as the sentry ascertains that they are in the wrong place. Maybe that's asking too much of a low-level airport employee, to use judgment and discernment in such a situation, but that's how it should work. If I know enough to acknowledge that I know what the precheck line is and that you are guarding it, then that's a good indicator that I have precheck on my boarding pass and know that I should be there and you don't have to assume that I am lying and force me to slow down to prove that I am not.

The problem is that these low-level airport employees see this as a rare chance to exercise some "authoritah" so they want to do so at all times... which is very similar to the way I think many TSA employees see their own jobs - there is common sense and then there is not missing a chance to boss around people in a higher socioeconomic class simply because one has a chance to do so.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Back to my little bugaboo on this topic -

Tonight at LAX I had one of these line guards follow me all the way to the X-ray machine demanding to examine my boarding pass that I had flashed at her earlier, even after I had received the three beeps and was already standing in line. The TDC actually laughed at this display and when I asked him if it really was a requirement he shook his head and rolled his eyes.

Normally these guards will yell at you for a just few seconds as you keep walking away from them, but this is the first time one has ever followed me (and presumably abandoned her post and let non-precheck passengers sneak into the line - OMG!!!). It was a good 70 or 80 feet she followed me. She obviously takes airport clerk job seriously.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Back to my little bugaboo on this topic -

She obviously takes airport clerk job seriously.
And I would you hope you take your job responsibilities just as seriously (whether they be saving the world for democracy or monitoring a french-fry basket).

The person was hired to do a job. No argument that TDC and Pre-Check line monitor are relatively low in importance than most other jobs. But why mock someone for taking a job and doing it diligently? These boards are replete with frequent fliers and DYKWIA types whining about <unsophisticated flyers> in the wrong line and demanding something be done about it. And now there are folks ridiculing the workers doing just that.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:37 am Reason: Term not used in the Travel Safety/Security forums
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
And I would you hope you take your job responsibilities just as seriously (whether they be saving the world for democracy or monitoring a french-fry basket).

The person was hired to do a job. No argument that TDC and Pre-Check line monitor are relatively low in importance than most other jobs. But why mock someone for taking a job and doing it diligently? These boards are replete with frequent fliers and DYKWIA types whining about <unsophisticated flyers> in the wrong line and demanding something be done about it. And now there are folks ridiculing the workers doing just that.
Diligence stops at the TDC when the it is confirmed that the individual is Precheck. DYKWIA and "How dare you" begins when something is confirmed, the person ignores the confirmation, and persists due to DYKWIA syndrome.

Otherwise, absolutely yes, the elitism and snobbery that has so infected the traveler industry is repulsive, and there is no reason to mock someone who is diligent.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Section 107

This.

If OP really managed to get past TDC stage that quickly, they would (or should) have had their BP in their hand when entering the line, and it really wouldn't have been that difficult just to show the BP to that first checker.

This weekend at SFO: even more people being turned away from the Pre line than usual thanks to the initial checker, maybe 90% (it's only about 50% on weekdays). Clearly it's useful.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:44 am

I've ignored the DL LGA D folks so much that they don't even pursue chasing me down anymore. Perhaps they've come to the realization that anyone who does willfully ignore them probably belongs in the first place, or will be turned around by the TDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.