Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Four Brooklyn men claim they were kicked off flight for looking too Muslim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Brooklyn men claim they were kicked off flight for looking too Muslim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Agree 100%. That's a non-starter - partly because of potential delays, mostly because no one at that level wants to take direct responsibility.

Perhaps the FAs need to sit down with TSA and explain why they still think bad guys equipped with the necessary to do bad things are likely to show up on a flight - in groups, even!

I would like to ask one of these FAs what it would take to make him/her feel safe flying with these passengers. Do they believe these guys got the necessary components of something bad through the checkpoint? Really?

What would TSA's response to that fear be?
TSA shouldn't have any part of the decision to remove a passenger. I don't see TSA input as being helpful in any way.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA shouldn't have any part of the decision to remove a passenger. I don't see TSA input as being helpful in any way.
I would like to see the dialogue between TSA and the FAs on this specific incident.

Do the FAs not trust TSA screening? If not, why not?

Obviously, if their concerns are valid, TSA should address them. If their concerns are not valid, TSA should be able to convince the FAs that the six pax could not have gotten dangerous contraband into the secure area.

In this particular incident, I wonder what the FA reaction would have been if the captain had requested another TSA screening of the pax and their belongings. If TSA had rescreened the pax and their belongings at the gate, would that have been enough to satisfy the FAs?

If not, then we all need to know why not.

Now airport workers and TSOs...well, that's a different story. But to date, I'm not aware of a single incident where FAs expressed security concerns about unscreened TSOs and airport workers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Do the FAs not trust TSA screening? If not, why not?

Obviously, if their concerns are valid, TSA should address them. If their concerns are not valid, TSA should be able to convince the FAs that the six pax could not have gotten dangerous contraband into the secure area.
Well, that conversation can go a couple of ways.

Recall that, a couple of years ago, TSA announced that it was going to ease up on its ban of pocket knives. Security experts say that small knives are not a substantial threat (especially in light of The Only Two Changes That Mattered(TM) in airline security). TSA said that easing up on the ban of pocket knives would allow them to focus on other threats.

And then the flight attendants' unions rose up and complained loudly that they would be put at risk, and TSA quietly gave up the change.

It's not clear to me that flight attendants' evaluation of TSA's effectiveness will be any sounder than the general public's evaluation of TSA's effectiveness.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
That's a little different. The FAs were objecting to items TSA was proposing to allow on the plane.

(Slight OT, but that whole episode was fishy. IIRC, Pistole proposed several relaxed rules, only one of which the FAs objected to: the knives. However, after the FAs squawked about the knives, TSA pulled back all of the proposed changes - why? I was particularly interested in being allowed to take ski poles (actually, trekking poles) on board, because I was hoping if they were allowed, some TSO might figure out there was no reason to ban aluminum tent poles.)

TSOs and airport workers, of course, have unfettered access to the sterile area with these items, but they could never find their way onto a plane.

In this instance, the FAs are making it clear that they do not trust TSA's screening. Why not? Do they believe that one or more of these guys got into the sterile area with contraband that could threaten their safety?

That would suggest that it isn't TSA's rules they have an issue with, it's TSA's performance they don't trust.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Were they being loud, boisterous? Drunk? (although you wouldn't expect that from a devout Muslim or Sikh)

Looking bad for the airline if what the news reports are suggesting is true.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...yc-flight.html
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
All you have to do is look at Shoshana Hebshi's case to to see that airline management will err on the side of stupid paranoia.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
All you have to do is look at Shoshana Hebshi's case to to see that airline management will err on the side of stupid paranoia.
Personal experience: I once got deplaned — major flight turned around on the tarmac, causing significant follow-on delays, ticket revoked, me being stuck in the terminal overnight, having to find another carrier to book me in the morning — because
a) I had brought with me a 1.75L jug of Odwalla Superfood (cleared by TSA), and
b) I asked the FA whether the channel I was listening to, the cockpit radio channel, was the only non-music channel.

That's it.

The FA made up a claim that I had asked about the tail number (nothing even close, and what kind of idiot thinks that the tail number isn't visible from the window and posted online for everyone to look up anyway?) and was causing a disturbance somehow (that question was the only sentence I said to anyone after I got on other than to answer, when asked, to say that my juice was… get this… juice, and otherwise I was just chilling in my seat).

So yes, stupid paranoia.

And I ain't even brown. ><
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US carriers' paranoid (even xenophobic) and power-tripping flight crew members indeed don't limit their questionable actions against just perceived ethnic and religious minorities, but perceived ethnic and religious minorities of some sort are more likely than other passengers to be hassled for reasons of xenophobic prejudice. And that just means that some perceived minorities are subject to more kinds of questionable actions by flight crew members than others. And not just that, but some perceived minorities are subject to more questionable actions by fellow passengers than others.

"Flying while brown" has its own dynamic.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Were they being loud, boisterous? Drunk? (although you wouldn't expect that from a devout Muslim or Sikh)

Looking bad for the airline if what the news reports are suggesting is true.
LOL - you have obviously never hung out with a male Sikh. Most of them can drink anyone under the table. No alcohol is not a tenet of Sihkhism
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mromalley
LOL - you have obviously never hung out with a male Sikh. Most of them can drink anyone under the table. No alcohol is not a tenet of Sihkhism
The Sikh religion has a prohibition against intoxication, much like Islam. Of course this doesn't mean I've never seen drunk Sikhs -- I've seen plenty, including some amongst my circle of personal acquaintances. I've also seen lots of heavy-drinking Muslims.

If they drink alcohol without getting intoxicated, well, then that may be in line with orthodox compliance with regards to alcohol restrictions.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:31 am

This the reason as a Sikh I have stopped flying AA and flying to the USA. I now prefer to spend my money where it is wanted.

However, I did see in the comments of an American newspaper that the commentator was a passenger on the flight and these guys were drunk and boisterous.

Looking at the Sikh guys pics - may not be too shocked by that.

Guess the real truth will not come out unless there really is a trial.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by perbinder
This the reason as a Sikh I have stopped flying AA and flying to the USA. I now prefer to spend my money where it is wanted.

However, I did see in the comments of an American newspaper that the commentator was a passenger on the flight and these guys were drunk and boisterous.

Looking at the Sikh guys pics - may not be too shocked by that.

Guess the real truth will not come out unless there really is a trial.
Newspaper's online forum commentators aren't all that reliable. Even people claiming things on Facebook under their own profiles aren't all that reliable. Perhaps that commentator is accurate, but who knows.

While it's well possible that the travel party may have had members who were drunk and boisterous, it would seem to make for a poor case if there is proof that they were drunk and obnoxious while boarding the flight or on board the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mromalley
umm please do not under any circumstance think I am agreeing with you or the actions of a ignorant flight crew.

They were kicked off the flight because they were "dark skinned" which clearly in the picture was not accurate. They were kicked off because an ignorant flight crew associates darker skin tones with Islam.

There are Muslims of all hues of skin tones/hair colours, just like there are Catholics of all skin tones and hair colours
methinks there was a bit of tongue and/or cheek in the OP.

Mike
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From the American Airlines Contract of Carriage:

Acceptance of passengers

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to:

Compliance with government requisition of space.

Action necessary or advisable due to weather, or other conditions beyond American's control.

Refusal to permit a search of person or property for explosives or for deadly, controlled, or dangerous weapons, articles or substances.

Refusal to produce positive identification upon request.

Your physical or mental condition is such that in American's sole opinion, you are rendered or likely to be rendered incapable of comprehending or complying with safety instructions without the assistance of an attendant.

Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent.

Appear to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.

Attempt to interfere with any member of the flight crew.

Have a communicable disease that has been determined by a federal public health authority to be transmissible to other persons in the normal course of flight.

Refuse to obey instructions from any flight crew member.

Have an offensive odor not caused by a disability or illness.

Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers or are barefoot.

Engage in any action, voluntary or involuntary, that might jeopardize the safety of the aircraft or any of its occupants.
INAL but seems like American, and I would think other airlines use similar language, can remove a person for just about any reason or no reason.

Maybe flyer groups need to challenge the validity of these one sided contracts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.