Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Up to 4 hours wait at DEN over Christmas due to TSA lack of staffing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 4 hours wait at DEN over Christmas due to TSA lack of staffing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Reason #461 that I now fly out of COS. I have pre-check and still HATE going through DEN security lines. Prior to pre-check, I've seen the security lines for the main area wrapped around past baggage claim.

When I fly COS, there is never anyone in the pre-check lane and usually only a few in the regular lanes.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
ORD

ORD was 3.5 hours on the 29th to get through TSA.
ATL was 35 minutes at 7:40 AM on the 29th
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
On the blog and in response to this question:

<deleted> responded with:
Of course.

<deleted> works at GSO. Unless the FSD of ORD publicly announces the backups, along with displaying accompanying, certified, time-stamped video proving the same, <deleted> will deny that there were any backups because he did not personally witness them.

Just another attempt by the pax to smear this stellar agency.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Of course.

<deleted> works at GSO. Unless the FSD of ORD publicly announces the backups, along with displaying accompanying, certified, time-stamped video proving the same, <deleted> will deny that there were any backups because he did not personally witness them.

Just another attempt by the pax to smear this stellar agency.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reason: Privacy / Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:17 am

"Up to 4 hours wait at DEN over Christmas due to TSA lack of staffing"

I hope the TSA does not use that as an excuse to hire thousands more to expand their influence over those wishing to fly.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
The TSA now "admits they played a role in this"

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loca...-dia/78765240/
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by dimramon
The TSA now "admits they played a role in this"

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loca...-dia/78765240/
"Ooops....our bad." Bet no one will take the fall for this monumental mess up.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pugsley21
Reason #461 that I now fly out of COS. I have pre-check and still HATE going through DEN security lines. Prior to pre-check, I've seen the security lines for the main area wrapped around past baggage claim.

When I fly COS, there is never anyone in the pre-check lane and usually only a few in the regular lanes.
+1

DEN security sucks rocks on a normal day. Thankfully I have precheck but even that is slower than it is at most other non-EWR airports. DEN airport is a great airport, it's one of my favorites, but by God their security line design is a train wreck...even on an average Tuesday.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:06 am

@AskTSA most tweets in the last few hours have been about delays and lack of PreCheck lanes being opened.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cargojon
+1

DEN security sucks rocks on a normal day. Thankfully I have precheck but even that is slower than it is at most other non-EWR airports....
Sorry, this is simply not true. PreCheck delays have never been an issue for me, and I'd wager that I've gone through those lines many more times than you have since you're not DEN-based.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Sorry, this is simply not true. PreCheck delays have never been an issue for me, and I'd wager that I've gone through those lines many more times than you have since you're not DEN-based.
It depends. I don't go through DEN security that often, but I have been there when the Pre line was 30+ minutes deep. Part of the issue was the stupid randomizer where they were sending regular pax to the Pre line, but even then, the line and wait seemed excessive.

I've also been there and breezed right through.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
@AskTSA most tweets in the last few hours have been about delays and lack of PreCheck lanes being opened.
Interesting that the replies indicate that IF the pax mentions s/he is Pre-qualified, s/he MAY be granted some form of expedited screening in the regular lane.

Just confirmation of what some folks are figuring out: Pre never promised widespread availability at airports to paying customers. Whether or not you actually get Pre and what form you get are completely up to the screeners at the checkpoint.

One other interesting reply (to me): a tweeter asks if a Schedule 2 prescription drug is allowed in his carry-on. No mention of the nature or quantity of the prescription drug.

TSA's reply is 'yes', but...the pax is told to inform the officers before screening that s/he has the drugs.

??? !!! Because?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.