Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Screeners To Protest at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Screeners To Protest at DFW

Short blurb on DFW radio station WBAP this morning saying that TSA screeners will stage a protest this afternoon (12/03/15) at DFW airport and some other large airports across the country (locations not stated) over Low Wages and Unfair Treatment by Management.

The blurb did state a terminal but I wasn't listening close enough but think it was Terminal D and scheduled for 3 PM.

It escapes me why people who fail over 95% of the time somehow think they deserve higher pay.

If I was free this afternoon think I would stage a counter protest.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
TSA spends too much time at the food court, and their bellies show it.

But you can pay $85,00 extra and cut the line..

If the people gets backed up, they can move the line and throw the packages out the door like the Post Office.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Short blurb on DFW radio station WBAP this morning saying that TSA screeners will stage a protest this afternoon (12/03/15) at DFW airport and some other large airports across the country (locations not stated) over Low Wages and Unfair Treatment by Management.

The blurb did state a terminal but I wasn't listening close enough but think it was Terminal D and scheduled for 3 PM.

It escapes me why people who fail over 95% of the time somehow think they deserve higher pay.

Because every one of those TSOs considers themselves in the 5%, of course.

Mike
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

As public servants, I'm not sure they're allowed to protest. Even if they're unionized they have to bargain in good faith without striking...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeyjones4652
As public servants, I'm not sure they're allowed to protest. Even if they're unionized they have to bargain in good faith without striking...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Striking and protesting are two different things.

Perhaps their work rules permit protesting on personal time (and possibly out of uniform).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:18 pm

Underpaid? Bull.

If they acted like security *professionals* instead of McDonald's flunkees maybe I'd entertain the discussion of their wages. Hell, I might even consider paying them *professional* wages.

Considering the government's own audits say they fail >90% of the time, I'd suggest they clean up their act and work with their superiors to clean house before asking for such ridiculous things. Find me another job which pays as well as TSA where completely unskilled labor gets to work in comfortable indoor conditions, is over staffed and has absolutely no accountability unless you manage to screw the pooch so bad that it reaches the national news.

Cry me a river. Actually they should go do so in California since they need the water.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:31 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

If I was free (and in the area) I might join you in your counter protest

In theory this could be a highly paid job as it is definitely important and does bear some risk (ex. catch someone with a gun and maybe they start shooting) but the 95% failure rate is the deal breaker.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Steve_19

In theory this could be a highly paid job as it is definitely important and does bear some risk (ex. catch someone with a gun and maybe they start shooting) but the 95% failure rate is the deal breaker.
(bolding mine)

No more risk (and probably far less) than a waitress at a 24-hour restaurant or a security guard at a Walmart.

Other than the LAX incident, I doubt if there's a single verified episode where an on-duty TSO has been threatened by a pax with a weapon (not even a Buzz Lightyear gripper toy or an expensive bottle of Jimmy Choo perfume - or a tiny bottle of nitro pills).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by KRSW
Underpaid? Bull.

If they acted like security *professionals* instead of McDonald's flunkees maybe I'd entertain the discussion of their wages. Hell, I might even consider paying them *professional* wages.
In my experience most employees at McDonald's perform their duties with courtesy, efficiency and professionalism. Seeing TSA operate at the level of "McDonald's flunkees" would be a dramatic improvement.
zarkov505 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_19

Trash collection is a very important job also but just like TSA screeners requires little education or other skills. In fact I place trash collection very high up on the list of important jobs. And trash collectors seem to be able to do the job with almost 100% accuracy.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
In my experience most employees at McDonald's perform their duties with courtesy, efficiency and professionalism. Seeing TSA operate at the level of "McDonald's flunkees" would be a dramatic improvement.
You left out 'consistency', the hallmark of every well-run organization or business in the world.

McDonald's workers are held to a higher standard than TSOs. A McDonald's worker doesn't make it up as he goes along and he doesn't just get 're-trained' at customer expense if he refuses to do it right.

"Oh, you wanted cheese in your cheeseburger? Well, we don't do it that way here today while I am working."
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Underpaid? If they acted like security *professionals* instead of McDonald's flunkees maybe I'd entertain the discussion of their wages. Hell, I might even consider paying them *professional* wages.
Comparing TSA agents to McD's flunkies is an insult to the McD's flunkies.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:37 am

For the record: I'm sure we all agree that not every single TSO is below par.

There are many TSOs who are competent, but I personally have no respect for any TSO who thinks calling his fellow TSOs out for misconduct isn't part of his job.

Remember "see something, say something"? It should apply to TSOs, too. You see your buddies stealing a 'Buzz Lightyear gripper toy' and you don't say something, you are just as worthless as the thief. You see your pal groin chop a pax and you don't say anything? You're beneath contempt, IMHO.

If you (TSO) think your hands are clean because you don't personally steal or groin chop, you just stand by and laugh and watch while your co-workers do it, you are wrong. You are just as dirty and incompetent as they are.

That goes for the internet. You see a fellow TSO post misinformation and you don't correct him? You are the same as him.

And you are putting my safety at risk when you refuse to 'say something' when you 'see something'.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by chollie
For the record: I'm sure we all agree that not every single TSO is below par.

There are many TSOs who are competent, but I personally have no respect for any TSO who thinks calling his fellow TSOs out for misconduct isn't part of his job.

Remember "see something, say something"? It should apply to TSOs, too. You see your buddies stealing a 'Buzz Lightyear gripper toy' and you don't say something, you are just as worthless as the thief. You see your pal groin chop a pax and you don't say anything? You're beneath contempt, IMHO.

If you (TSO) think your hands are clean because you don't personally steal or groin chop, you just stand by and laugh and watch while your co-workers do it, you are wrong. You are just as dirty and incompetent as they are.

That goes for the internet. You see a fellow TSO post misinformation and you don't correct him? You are the same as him.

And you are putting my safety at risk when you refuse to 'say something' when you 'see something'.

FSD Daniel Liddel creates hostile work environment

FSD Cliff Vanluven (@ MSP) under investigation for retaliating against employees who reported misconduct.

TSA attempt to fire employee who reported misconduct

Air Marshall fired for expressing concerns

TSA has a culture of fear and distrust

TSA covers-up misconducted that was committed to "In an effort to avoid bad publicity for TSA,..."

Considering the above, and with your livelihood on the line, how likely would you be to place your neck in a noose; do you think a TSA employee can trust that he or she will not be fired or not retaliated against for reporting misconduct?

Last edited by gingersnaps; Dec 4, 2015 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
FSD Daniel Liddel creates hostile work environment

FSD Cliff Vanluven (@ MSP) under investigation for retaliating against employees who reported misconduct.

TSA attempt to fire employee who reported misconduct

Air Marshall fired for expressing concerns

TSA has a culture of fear and distrust

TSA covers-up misconducted that was committed to "In an effort to avoid bad publicity for TSA,..."

Considering the above, and with your livelihood on the line, how likely would you be to place your neck in a noose; do you think a TSA employee can trust that he or she will not be fired or retaliated against for reporting misconduct?
As TSA is so fond of claiming, those cases only represent a very small number of TSA's hard working, highly trained, dedicated FSD's and other managers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.