Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Security layers at US airports 'simply missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security layers at US airports 'simply missing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They removed the biggest stakeholders from the debate, frequent business travelers, via ExtortionCheck, which also kept the airlines happy. Mission accomplished.
What will those biggest stakeholders have to say if, and it's a huge if, TSA gets those "millions more" ExtortionCheck enrollees? Having 85%+ of travelers going through Pre is going to slow those lines down and you can be certain that a good number of those people will be selected for extra screening. What will the the POSH complain about next?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
What will those biggest stakeholders have to say if, and it's a huge if, TSA gets those "millions more" ExtortionCheck enrollees? Having 85%+ of travelers going through Pre is going to slow those lines down and you can be certain that a good number of those people will be selected for extra screening. What will the the POSH complain about next?
I would hope that even TSA is smart enough to shift assets and man up the lanes with the most people. If Pre grows then I can see the screening areas being a reversal of how they are set up today.

Now someone wake me up, I must be having a dream.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They removed the biggest stakeholders from the debate, frequent business travelers, via ExtortionCheck, which also kept the airlines happy. Mission accomplished.
Some of them - the ones lucky enough to fly through an airport where Pre is available during the hours they are flying and at checkpoints granting access to the airline they are flying.

If, for example, you are a FF with Pre who regularly flies from PHX, you may not be getting much value for your money right now.

IIRC, CLEAR is limited but locations and availability are clearly defined at signup - unlike Pre.

If there aren't enough signups for Pre, will TSA continue the program? If they start introducing too much additional randomness, that won't deter business fliers from re-enrolling but it also won't spur ordinary leisure travelers to run out and sign up for a 'maybe' faster or less invasive experience.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Some of them - the ones lucky enough to fly through an airport where Pre is available during the hours they are flying and at checkpoints granting access to the airline they are flying.

If, for example, you are a FF with Pre who regularly flies from PHX, you may not be getting much value for your money right now.

IIRC, CLEAR is limited but locations and availability are clearly defined at signup - unlike Pre.

If there aren't enough signups for Pre, will TSA continue the program? If they start introducing too much additional randomness, that won't deter business fliers from re-enrolling but it also won't spur ordinary leisure travelers to run out and sign up for a 'maybe' faster or less invasive experience.
I often read others who say "Oh, the cost is only $85 and it's good for 5 years." However, if you are a family of 4 who travels infrequently, $85 becomes $340, plus the time to get all family members (over the age of 12) to the registration site. Even for an older couple, childless, the cost becomes an extra $170 plus the time to travel to a site to register. (Even if I wanted to enroll, it's an 80-mile round trip for me on one of my state's most awful highways, where I would face far more danger from other drivers than I would on a plane from any terrorist .)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Revenue generation should not even be in TSA's vocabulary. Effective and efficient security screening should be the focus of TSA. That does not mean throwing megabucks at the issue.

I'm afraid if the suspected cause of the Russian airliner downing is confirmed that TSA will invent some new draconion procedure to further abuse travelers.
Will be interesting to learn if it came from the passenger side or employee side of the airport, if it was a bomb.

If from the passenger side, TSA could say "that could never happen here because of all our layers, blah, blah, blah"or, and most likely, passengers here will pay dearly.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Will be interesting to learn if it came from the passenger side or employee side of the airport, if it was a bomb.

If from the passenger side, TSA could say "that could never happen here because of all our layers, blah, blah, blah"or, and most likely, passengers here will pay dearly.

Except that at airports across the country "Security Layers are Simply Missing at TSA Checkpoints"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.