Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Anticipation of airport security is stressful.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I currently travel over 10x per year -- mainly internationally. I have a theory that the uncertainty/unpredictability associated with airport security lines/processes around the world cause the bulk of stress around frequent travel. It's just not knowing. Almost the same way that a traffic jam used to before we had google maps traffic or waze which tells us exactly where the jam is, how long it will take, etc. I know TSA and others have attempted apps to help create transparency here, but it's still not as advanced or live as what we've seen for road infrastructure.

What about airport security stresses you out?

How frequently do you see a shortage of staff or security lane closures during rush hours?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This could help you.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/wait_times_home.aspx
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Nothing really.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Yes, I've seen this before. I find the wait times to be inaccurate/intuitive rather than precise.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Nothing. If I'm at a new airport where I don't know the "standard" procedure for going through security, there's usually staff there to help me out, it's in their interest to keep the line moving. I don't care if I'm inconveniencing the person behind me for a few seconds.

There's always going to be people in line looking miffed, hands on their hips or shaking their head whether it's them being stuck behind "kettles" or slow movers who are unfamiliar. If stuck in line, I entertain myself watching such people express how entitled they think they are. They were unfamiliar too at some point.

I travel internationally almost every week (SIN isn't convenient for domestic flights ) to various parts of Asia and a couple of times a year to the US. It's very rare that I've had mean or nasty security staff - even in the US, the TSA may not be the most efficient but no complaints.

If it's power abuse by immigration or customs, I have nothing to hide so I don't sweat it. Why worry about a tense scenario that has next to no chance of happening - depending on where you're travelling.

If it's the queues, I just go with the flow, it's out of my control, I don't think too much about it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:47 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't think I'd call it stressful, but the travel experience is a lot better overall when you don't have to wait in line a lot. For instance, going though a shorter TSA pre check line, or boarding the aircraft first. Sure, you get to your destination at the same scheduled time, but with those two amenities you never feel like you had to wait in line for anything.

I think having a bad ground experience is why we get a lot of cranky travelers. They had to stand in line for up to an hour cumulatively before they even got on the plane.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seems to me that many people who have problems with security checkpoint people, whether it's TSA in the US, or their overseas equivalent, are itching for a fight and they get it.

Me? I rarely have any problems and sail through. Occasional question about something and I answer it and am on my way.

You reap what you sew.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
cs1321, welcome to FlyerTalk. Travel Security has been a major focus of the site for some time, and I'll move this to the apt travel security forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
Seems to me that many people who have problems with security checkpoint people, whether it's TSA in the US, or their overseas equivalent, are itching for a fight and they get it.

Me? I rarely have any problems and sail through. Occasional question about something and I answer it and am on my way.

You reap what you sew.
I'm surprised you've personally witnessed so many confrontations at security checkpoints here and abroad.

Perhaps TSA should add 'checkpoint confrontations' to their weekly fabricated statistics.

Might I ask in what countries overseas have you witnessed screeners retaliating against stroppy pax?

Have you personally witnessed such encounters very often here in the US? Out-of-control pax being triggering harsh retaliatory treatment by TSOs? Any particular airports? (As quick and painless as your experiences are, I'm surprised you have time to witness anything as you fly through the checkpoints).

I ask because my personal experiences, especially overseas, have been 100% the opposite of your post.

I have been repeatedly barked at and treated rudely for the unforgivable sin of wanting to fly while...physically unable to assume and hold the position necessary for the NoS. That's blatant discrimination against me because of my physical limitations.

I'm really sorry that it personally offends some TSOs that I have physical limitations that make their job harder. They don't like their faces and hands between my legs? I don't either. And believe me, I am sincerely sorry that just being lectured about the safety of the NoS and the invasiveness and discomfort of the alternative grope doesn't magically cure me of the physical limitations that they think I am faking. I find it really offensive that I have to stand and listen to a TSO effectively call me a liar just so that I can fly.

I have never ever experienced that sort of rudeness or blatant discrimination anywhere else in the world.

Perhaps it is only at US checkpoints that physical limitations are considered a challenge to authority, something that deserves to be punished.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 19, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:53 pm

If you were at DTW North Terminal on Saturday the 17th, you would have witnessed DeafBlonde doing the "Happy Dance"!! My boyfriend and I were returning from a visit with his folks, and luckily got directed to the PreCheck lane. It took a good 20 minutes to get through the queue to the ID Checker (TDC?) station, but only 15 seconds to get the stuff through the carry on luggage x-ray then go through the WTMD.

Getting to Detroit via HOU was a different story. We had to take off our shoes, remove the laptop from the carry on, put the freedom baggie (had eye drops / hand sanitizer / hand lotion) in another bin, take all the crap out of our pockets, etc.

I told the NoS moat dragon that I couldn't lift my arms because of pinched nerves in both shoulders (true statement), so he asked me the stupidest question ever: "Would you like a pat-down?" I said (biting my tongue), "Not necessarily!" He directed me through the WTMD and to the hand swabbing station. NO ALARMS WENT OFF, THANK GOD!

My boyfriend wasn't so lucky. He went through the NoS, and I had all the stuff repacked and my shoes back on before he showed up at the luggage pickup area. He said there was a problem detected in the area of his back pocket (probably lint...LOL!) and they had to pat down his butt.

I feigned shocked indignation, and said "They patted down your BUTT?!?!" loud enough for another traveler to hear it. My boyfriend said, "Yea, I guess I still got it goin' on!!" which made me and the other traveler giggle!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:56 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I have never had any stress from security in any European airport.

US airports are another story. I absolutely abhor security at JFK - I have never been treated so rudely anywhere in the world. The TSA workers there are arrogant, rude, condescending and visibly on power trips. I just dread traveling through JFK.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:53 pm

I get deeply stressed about security in the US. It's undoubtedly some level of social anxiety, but it bothers me every time. I share your angst.

Here's where I think the problems lie:

- It's often as if you've done something wrong just by showing up. No matter how carefully one follows the rules, the TSA is never pleased with what I do for them: my bag is in the wrong way, my liquids are in a little bin instead of with my laptop, I've been told I looked too nervous... I'm always guilty of something.

- The TSA talks too much. There are the "barkers," and then there are the lengthy explanations. If one is unfortunate enough to be a selectee, there is always the lengthy chatter about "any sensitive areas?" "Now I'm going to touch you all over the place," etc. In Europe, if one is selected, they just frisk and move on with it. It's much, much faster. Somehow the explanations make it worse.

- The actual friskings are far more intense than anything I've experienced in other countries. The TSA takes a long time.

- Cognitive dissonance. I just can't cope with how silly it is. We have AIT machines that we know do not work, laughable liquid rules, shoe carnivals, and the mistaken notions that "Travel Document Inspectors" are like Sherlock, and find wellsprings of information by using a black light and a drivers license. Yet people still fall for it.

- Absorption of collective anxiety. Checkpoints are full of upset, tired people. There are so many elements that create a storm of psychological pressure: total lack of control, unknown wait times, unknown elements of screening, changing and strange rules, disorganised crowds, yelling. All of this combined means that others are stressed too. I would include the TSA staff; many of them seem stressed as well.

- Badges and uniforms. Depending on the country, many airport screeners are dressed as "hosts:" they wear hospitality-themed uniforms. In the US, there is a "minimum wage security guard" appearance. And there is all kinds of research in social psychology about authoritarian behaviour combined with badges and uniforms. It's not a good combination.

Can it be okay?

Yes.
If you get PreCheck at a pleasant airport, it's only a minor nuisance... as long as the metal detector doesn't beep for random full-body scanning. Some TSA staff really are genuinely kind people.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
They aren't, though. People have problems with the TSA because they TSA clerks are too lazy to learn and do their jobs. While it is true that one can get through processes easier if one doesn't make waves, it is not the passenger's fault if the TSA fails to follow the rules.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
I am sincerely sorry that just being lectured about the safety of the NoS
I tell them that the NOS causes obesity.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:14 pm

British Airways did a study on anxiety. ...it is cyclical cycle that go up on the way to airport and peaks at security then goes down and back up at boarding and then back down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.