Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How many times and where will I go through immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Question How many times and where will I go through immigration?

Hello,

I have a flight itinerary coming up to NRT that goes something like this:

BTR-IAH-DFW-SFO-ICN-NRT(trust me I have my reasons)

and returning:
NRT-LAX-IAH-BTR

The itinerary consist of me flying through 3 different countries. US, South Korea, and Japan.What I want to know is how many times I will go through the immigration and/or customs process, and at what specific airports.

If it makes any difference, I am flying first class most of the trip(with the exception of BTR-IAH, ICN-NRT, IAH-BTR where first class isn't available). Just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on any priority immigration options I may have if such exists

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: QFF

outbound, you'll only have immigration/customs at NRT. (unless you decide to go landside at ICN).
Inbound, depature immigration at NRT and CBP at first US port
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, you won't got through customs or immigration in Dallas, Houston, or San Francisco.

If you're merely transiting in Seoul and not leaving the airport, you won't go through it there either.

You'll go through customs and immigration in Tokyo.

On the return, you will go through immigration in Los Angeles, collect your bag, go through customs, then re-check your bag to Baton Rouge.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about the US CBP thing happening in Seoul, but that's great that I don't have to worry about it.

Just as a general inquiry, about how long should I want my layover to be in LAX when passing through CBP. Just to give some extra info that may help, I have Global Entry, TSA pre-check, and the inbound flight to LAX will arrive at about 1:30pm local time.

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by KingKazma
Thanks for the replies. I was worried about the US CBP thing happening in Seoul, but that's great that I don't have to worry about it.
very few places require going through customs/immigration on a I-I transit. The only ones I can think of are the US and mainland China.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KingKazma

Just as a general inquiry, about how long should I want my layover to be in LAX when passing through CBP. Just to give some extra info that may help, I have Global Entry, TSA pre-check, and the inbound flight to LAX will arrive at about 1:30pm local time.

Thanks
I think you'll want at least 2 hours, especially if you are checking bags. My experience at the pre-renovation Tom Bradley International Terminal was that bags often took a long time to arrive and then there could be very long lines to go through customs even after you've cleared immigration and claimed your bag.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I think you'll want at least 2 hours, especially if you are checking bags. My experience at the pre-renovation Tom Bradley International Terminal was that bags often took a long time to arrive and then there could be very long lines to go through customs even after you've cleared immigration and claimed your bag.
OK, thanks for the useful info. I'll be sure to keep it in mind

-KingK
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Himeno
very few places require going through customs/immigration on a I-I transit. The only ones I can think of are the US and mainland China.
I think the OP meant that he thought South Korea might have had preclearance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.