Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Price to relinquish US citizenship hiked to match price to renounce US citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price to relinquish US citizenship hiked to match price to renounce US citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I may be a bit dense here, but I still don't see how the name and shame concept really affects anyone in this situation. IMHO, it's just a waste of money to publish the list.
If it wasn't meant to be a name and shame approach, then there would have been no push in Congress to mandate publishing the list.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I may be a bit dense here, but I still don't see how the name and shame concept really affects anyone in this situation. IMHO, it's just a waste of money to publish the list.
It's probably a little more than the name and shame approach.

Could be a way for the local government or Social Security to deny benefits to specific persons or to put a "Deserter" tag next to their names. After all, local government and SS may not have access to Immigration databases. And SS mails checks without asking first, then they verify the claimant if need be.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach

Could be a way for the local government or Social Security to deny benefits to specific persons or to put a "Deserter" tag next to their names. After all, local government and SS may not have access to Immigration databases. And SS mails checks without asking first, then they verify the claimant if need be.
Publication isn't required -- as a technical condition (even as the law demands publication) -- for the SSA databases and interaction with state and local databases to be updated.

Keep in mind that not everyone whose recognition of US citizenship status is undone is subject to publication of change in citizneship status.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach

Except as a legal matter, there is no technical requirement that there be publication for the SSA databases and the state and local databases to be fed and processed for a change in status.

Keep in mind that we don't publish a list of all living persons previously recognized as US citizens who were eventually noted as non-citizens. And yet legal entitlements arising from that status change do get put in place in the basically the same way.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:28 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by BSBD
It's an attempt at discouragement. Occasionally a rich, famous, or rich and famous person will decide to renounce/relinquish. The hope is that the news media will pick up on this and run a hit piece to whip up some patriotic outrage amongst the hoi polloi.

The goal is to generate enough negative attention that the famous/wealthy person suffers, thus dissuading others who might be considering doing the same thing.

It's happened a few times.
Yes, I've seen news articles like you've mentioned. I wonder how much damage that has actually done to the famous/wealthy person who renounced/relinquished and then was subject to public outrage. I can't imagine this tactic being very effective. The USG, as I well know, does not spend the taxpayer's money wisely. This definitely being the case here.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:53 am

This situation has serious "positive feedback loop" potential.
They raise the fee, more people renounce, they raise the fee
again, even more people renounce, ad infinitum.
Anyone fancy a wager that by 2030 the fee will be $100000
and only 2 million (True-blue Sean Hannity types) will remain in the US.

Last edited by yandosan; Oct 1, 2015 at 2:04 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by yandosan
This situation has serious "positive feedback loop" potential.
They raise the fee, more people renounce, they raise the fee
again, even more people renounce, ad infinitum.
Anyone fancy a wager that by 2030 the fee will be $100000
and only 2 million (True-blue Sean Hannity types) will remain in the US.
Good for them, then. Some countries won't let you renounce their citizenship no matter how much money you want to pay.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
4,200+ renounced in 2015

very good article regarding FATCAt and how why it (doesn't) works:

http://www.bbc.com/news/35383435
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
very good article regarding FATCAt and how why it (doesn't) works:

http://www.bbc.com/news/35383435
Don't tell me about it, it's a major pain having to do the US's work thanks to lickspittle politicians in the UK
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
I've read that "FATCA is a despicable form of government-level extortion that essentially forced banks all around the world into a global spy network. It's a shame, especially since it is of very little value for presumably the money spent".
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I've read that "FATCA is a despicable form of government-level extortion that essentially forced banks all around the world into a global spy network. It's a shame, especially since it is of very little value for presumably the money spent".
Extortion is a little bit strong - but the law absolutely is intimidating. And it does effectively.

One bank paid the Treasury Dept US$780,000,000 as a result of FATCA. 80 other banks collectively agreed to pay US$1,300,000,000 more. Many other banks have also paid fines/settlements. And more than US$8,000,000,000 in evaded taxes have been collected.

Those million dollar space toilets, $600 hammers, and bridges to nowhere are getting paid for, so many in gubmint would say the (regular) taxpayer got a lot of value for the money spent....
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Section 107
Extortion is a little bit strong - but the law absolutely is intimidating. And it does effectively.

One bank paid the Treasury Dept US$780,000,000 as a result of FATCA. 80 other banks collectively agreed to pay US$1,300,000,000 more. Many other banks have also paid fines/settlements. And more than US$8,000,000,000 in evaded taxes have been collected.

Those million dollar space toilets, $600 hammers, and bridges to nowhere are getting paid for, so many in gubmint would say the (regular) taxpayer got a lot of value for the money spent....
Well then. Good job America and the long arm of the law!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.