Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another family abused by the TSA, over boxed milk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...by_s_milk.html

Plus, the TSA permits them on board. On the Bunns' trip to Philly, agents in Santa Ana and Houston passed the milk boxes right through the security scanner and sent the family on their way....

But the agent continued to insist that he had to open the milk to test it - which he did, destroying Lily's milk for the afternoon....

A spokesman for the TSA told me that, without reviewing security tapes of the Bunns' trip through Stupidville (OK, he didn't call the checkpoint Stupidville), he couldn't comment on the veracity of their complaint. But he assured me that milk boxes, like juice boxes, need not be opened to be screened.
Ronnie Polaneczky did a great story on the man who was jailed on trumped up charges by the TSA - charges that were thrown out of court.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dad Gets It...

He's also an assistant DA in Orange County.

"I can't believe the level the TSA has stooped to, that they would ruin a baby's milk, depriving her of important nutrition," says Steve, flabbergasted. "Maybe this is why they miss most of the dangerous items being brought through security - they're too busy depriving babies of milk and inflicting other abuses."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...sJbZy5eSPKp.99
Unfortunately, I suspect this is the reason the TSA will use to blow off the family and blame the victim:

The agent also told the Bunns that if they didn't allow him to test the milk, he'd have to put the entire family through a more invasive screening: heavy pat-downs of them and the kids, sifting through their three carry-on-bags and testing Lily's stroller.

<snip>

"We were afraid we'd miss our flight," says Steve. "So we said, fine, open the milk."
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
He's also an assistant DA in Orange County.

The agent also told the Bunns that if they didn't allow him to test the milk, he'd have to put the entire family through a more invasive screening: heavy pat-downs of them and the kids, sifting through their three carry-on-bags and testing Lily's stroller.

<snip>

"We were afraid we'd miss our flight," says Steve. "So we said, fine, open the milk."

Unfortunately, I suspect this is the reason the TSA will use to blow off the family and blame the victim:
However, even that is wrong from what we have read before. ONE of the parents would have to be patted down, not both parents, and not the kids. Yes, TSA would go through all their belongings and probably try to delay them as much as they could while doing so.

This seems to be a case either of a screener not knowing the rules or making them up on the fly.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More evidence that TSA is a criminal organization from the top man and down.

Time to end this national embarrasement.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
However, even that is wrong from what we have read before. ONE of the parents would have to be patted down, not both parents, and not the kids. Yes, TSA would go through all their belongings and probably try to delay them as much as they could while doing so.

This seems to be a case either of a screener not knowing the rules or making them up on the fly.
We don't actually know what the rules are. We know what some folks have experienced or been told.

We do know that no matter what the website says, any screener is free to exercise his/her discretion.

BTW...one of the commenters on the article posted in the OP notes that TSA's posted (which is not necessarily what will actually happen) comments say:

"Formula, breast milk and juice for infants or toddlers are permitted through the security checkpoint. TSA officers may test liquids for explosives or concealed prohibited items. If officers are unable to use X-ray to clear these items, they may ask to open the container and have you transfer the liquid to a separate empty container or dispose of a small quantity of liquid, if feasible."
It's the screener's call whether or not something can be satisfactorily cleared by the xray.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:52 am

Another way to look at this is what is the size of these milk boxes? I'm assuming they are around 6 oz. That would easily fit inside a quart bag. I doubt they make a 3 oz milk box but if they did, why is one 6 oz box "dangerous" but two 3 oz boxes are "safe"? The TSA never answers that question.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie

It's the screener's call whether or not something can be satisfactorily cleared by the xray.
It's a screener's call whether or not an item will board the plane, agreed.

However, do screener's have the authority to determine which people in a party get a patdown, in this case both parents and all the children?

Here's another recitation of a screening at PHL that went "bad" because of a piece of medical equipment:

The TSO explained that since the nebulizer was in the bag but should have been placed separately in a bin, a complete pat-down was now required. I objected to this and asked that a supervisor be summoned. The supervisor arrived and stated that only a mandatory pat-down of someone would resolve this situation, and that this was required by “procedure.”
http://observer.com/2015/02/the-tsa-...can-liberties/
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It's a screener's call whether or not an item will board the plane, agreed.

However, do screener's have the authority to determine which people in a party get a patdown, in this case both parents and all the children?

Here's another recitation of a screening at PHL that went "bad" because of a piece of medical equipment:

http://observer.com/2015/02/the-tsa-...can-liberties/
As long as TSA is ran and operated by complete idiots expect more of the same.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:32 am

"More evidence TSA is a criminal organization from the top man down."

Hell, I was saying this from nearly the start...back then no one believed me.
Keep panicking over boxed milk, TSA...it makes me look like a genius.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by spd476
Another way to look at this is what is the size of these milk boxes? I'm assuming they are around 6 oz. That would easily fit inside a quart bag. I doubt they make a 3 oz milk box but if they did, why is one 6 oz box "dangerous" but two 3 oz boxes are "safe"? The TSA never answers that question.
I actually had the TSA complain about a liquid being too large (despite I knew it's 100ml) and I had the luck to have two empty bottles on me and I separated it and then suddenly it became OK. Miracles
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spd476
I was someplace recently, Whole Foods maybe, that had a large variety of baby foods and drinks in 3.0 oz soft packaging. I said to myself "Brilliant!" knowing that I was only one of a hundred people that would know why.

Sort of related, I have been looking for 100 ml flasks for adult beverages. They are rare but available. I figure I ought to be able to get nearly a fifth in a quart bag, 100 ml at a time.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:19 pm

I wasn't aware regular milk or juice was considered a baby food and permitted. We never brought any for our kids when the were little. I recall one incident when a screener insited my whife open a jar of baby food and taste it though.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Alex71
I wasn't aware regular milk or juice was considered a baby food and permitted. We never brought any for our kids when the were little. I recall one incident when a screener insited my whife open a jar of baby food and taste it though.
Who tasted it, your wife or the screener? If it was the latter, hope it was strained peas.

Mike
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Alex71
This happened to me once - I made my son eat the entire pouch instead, which he was more than happy to do, right in front of them. Honestly, why would I open it for the TSA to let, therefore ruining the no refrigeration required part? It pissed them off, but too bad for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.