Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA's Behavior Detection "Officers" Newsletter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

From The Intercept:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ous-offensive/

In response to The Intercept’s questions about the content and purpose of the newsletters, TSA spokesman Bruce Anderson said it was one of myriad methods used by the agency to engage and encourage communication across its workforce.

“An engaged and informed workforce is critical to TSA’s mission while ensuring that we treat all passengers fairly and with dignity and integrity,” the spokesman said via email.
Lots of redactions in the following. What are they afraid of?

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...-redacted.html
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is this newsletter funded?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA did not answer The Intercept’s questions regarding cost and time involved in producing the BDO newsletters.
At least the TSA didn't claim it was SSI.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:52 am

I can see the logic in redacting the names and faces of the Spotdicks. TSA would claim they need to maintain their privacy as cutting edge undercover operatives. IMO, they don't want anyone to know they have such a stuuuupid job.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm sure taxpayer dollars paid for it. Yet, this is not marked as OUO, LES, SBU, SSI, or anything else that indicates that it should be protected from disclosure.

The better questions:

Under what authority is this PUBLIC information being (partially) withheld?

Was this sent using secure means (appropriate for something sensitive, but not classified)?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:49 am

I'm sure that Pittsburgh PD was thrilled at the feature on their force.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:47 am

TSA’s Behavior Detection Program Has a Newsletter, and It’s Ridiculous

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ous-offensive/

"Much of the newsletter space is devoted to very lengthy regional articles about the weather, with headlines like, “Surviving the Snow in Bangor, Maine!” “Beating the Summer Heat in Milwaulkee!” and “Yes it Snows in Arizona!”

The newsletters also offer insights into the background of some behavior detection officers, who are supposed to be able to spot potential terrorists just by looking at them. “How many of us can look back about 20 years at the Susan Smith case, specifically at that famous news conference where she insisted there had been a carjacking and her children were in the car?” wrote one officer. “I know I turned to my husband and said, ‘She’s lying.’ I knew nothing about BDOs at that time; I just knew that her behaviors contradicted her words.”

Prior to joining TSA, the behavior detection officer worked as a travel agent for Walt Disney Company.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:49 am

Just want to add that the article includes links to six redacted newsletters. It looks like the silliest club ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.