Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Union officials for police at Los Angeles International Airport gave its support Friday for new legislation that would ban the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) from allowing non-law enforcement personnel to wear metal badges.

The Los Angeles Airport Peace Officers’ Association (LAAPOA) issued the statement commending language in a Department of Homeland Security appropriations bill currently under consideration by lawmakers in Washington, which includes an amendment that prohibits funding for TSA uniforms that include badges that resemble law enforcement badges.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/...tsa-personnel/

Will be interesting where this goes.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/...tsa-personnel/

Will be interesting where this goes.
Seemms like a very reasonable position. TSA screeners should not be in a cop-like uniform. It sends a false message to the public.

TSA's morale problem is not caused by their outfits.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seemms like a very reasonable position. TSA screeners should not be in a cop-like uniform. It sends a false message to the public.

TSA's morale problem is not caused by their outfits.
That message is intentionally false.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing away with the tin badges will be useless if the clerks are allowed to wear embroidered badges. They have to get rid of any part of their costumes that make them look like cops.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
That message is intentionally false.
Yes it is and I would suggest that screeners dressed in this manner are borderline, if not over the line, impersonating a law enforcement officer.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Doing away with the tin badges will be useless if the clerks are allowed to wear embroidered badges. They have to get rid of any part of their costumes that make them look like cops.
The Boy Scouts have cloth "badges" yet no one comes close to thinking of them as law enforcement. I don't know of any police department that uses cloth badges in lieu of a metal badge somewhere.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Embroidered cloth uniform badges are consistent with private security: mall, apartments, business park, etc. People paid to watch out but have to call actual law enforcement if they see anything amiss.

That is right about where I would put TSA screeners.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'm not sure I agree.

In a chaotic situation, people tend to associate a tin badge with authority and training.

An embroidered badge? That includes janitors, Fedex workers, Burger King employees....all helpful in their own way, but not the folks you look to in an emergency situation.

That said, a pinned-on plastic name tag with "TSA + employee name/ID number" should suffice. In fact, it would be great to have TSOs required to wear a tag with a visible name or ID # - not something they can flip over as they routinely do when asked for their names.

Not that they have anything they'd want to hide, of course...

An innocent man was shot and killed in OK by an old rich man playing at being a cop with the real guys. We don't need TSOs who struggle (and fail miserably, by their own tests) to perform their mission - ensuring that no contraband enters the sterile area - we don't need those people who fail at the job they are currently tasked with taking on new responsibilities and running around playing cop-wannabe in a crisis situation.

Airport cops don't stick their hands down pax pants and TSOs shouldn't be playing LE - even if that just means 'dress-up' and identifying themselves as 'federal officers'.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm thinking that we ditch the uniform altogether are replace it with something along the lines of an Oompa Loompa costume.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: Status Free
Not the cool Oompah Loompahs of Willie Wonka, but the creepy Oompah Loompahs of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
FWIW, in the State of New York and New Jersey (and possibly others), only actual law enforcement officers are allowed to wear "normal" badges. Private security are required to wear square badges. Lots of states have restrictions on badge appearance/markings, etc...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
FWIW, in the State of New York and New Jersey (and possibly others), only actual law enforcement officers are allowed to wear "normal" badges. Private security are required to wear square badges. Lots of states have restrictions on badge appearance/markings, etc...
When did the law ever matter to TSA?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I'm not sure I agree.

In a chaotic situation, people tend to associate a tin badge with authority and training.

An embroidered badge? That includes janitors, Fedex workers, Burger King employees....all helpful in their own way, but not the folks you look to in an emergency situation.

That said, a pinned-on plastic name tag with "TSA + employee name/ID number" should suffice. In fact, it would be great to have TSOs required to wear a tag with a visible name or ID # - not something they can flip over as they routinely do when asked for their names.

Not that they have anything they'd want to hide, of course...
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I guess that this is what I was trying to say. I think most people would notice the shape of the badge and its writing as a symbol of LE. A tin badge is more visible because it's a different material than clothing and it physically sticks out. Yep -- it can't even look like a real cop badge.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by chollie
That said, a pinned-on plastic name tag with "TSA + employee name/ID number" should suffice.
A pin? A PIN?!?!?

Do you know how dangerous a pin is in the wrong hands? The pins on some name badges are more than 2" long! What if someone stole the name tag and that pin got onto an aircraft?

Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Not the cool Oompah Loompahs of Willie Wonka, but the creepy Oompah Loompahs of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Lol!!! I'm always remember the movie. I won't eat a candy anymore. I'm staying away from the candy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.