Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Neffenger Confirmed as New TSA Clerk-in-Chief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, the reign of King Neffy has begun. The vote was 81-1. I had to go to the foreign press to find the "1" who was Republican Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska.

Here is his well-thought out logic for his negative vote:

"While Admiral Neffenger is an impressive man, it is naive and dangerous to pretend installing one director can heal what ails TSA," Sasse said in a statement. "The Department of Homeland Security needs to admit that it has a crisis of bureaucratic complacency – lacking an overarching vision and coherent measures of success and failure.”
I was more interested in finding out the names of the 18 dedicated senators who didn't even bother to show up to vote. For this data, I had to turn to to the actual web site of the United States Senate.

Not surprisingly, several of the Gang of 18 are running for the Republican presidential nomination:

Not Voting - 18
Blunt (R-MO)
Coats (R-IN)
Corker (R-TN)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Franken (D-MN)
Graham (R-SC)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Kirk (R-IL)
Lee (R-UT)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Toomey (R-PA)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Neffenger still on active duty with the Coast Guard and if so does he have to retire before taking the post at TSA?

I wish him the best but have very low expectations of TSA being reformed or even being reformable. Heck, he may think TSA is fine as is.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is Neffenger still on active duty with the Coast Guard and if so does he have to retire before taking the post at TSA?

I wish him the best but have very low expectations of TSA being reformed or even being reformable. Heck, he may think TSA is fine as is.
... And he's only got another 18 months unless Hillary keeps him on the job.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know for sure, but I can speculate with a level of experience. Since the USCG is part of the DHS (regretfully), the Secretary is the administrative head of the USCG, as he is for all other DHS agencies and bureaus. He has the authority to assign USCG officers to any other part of DHS as he sees fit. Further, in the haste and waste of the post 9/11 paranoia, I seriously doubt that the enabling legislation for the DHS and TSA does not specifically state that the TSA Administrator must be a civilian. (Somebody can check it out if they have the time.) So, the short answer to the legal question is: No, he doesn't have to retire.

Now, should he retire? Tough question. Retiring helps him in the short run but hurts him in the long run. If he retires, he would immediately draw his O-9 retired pay and his Level I executive pay: $201,700.

According to the 2015 military pay chart, and assuming he's a maxed out and capped O-9, his salary is capped at Level II: $181,500. (This doesn't include his non-taxable housing and subsistence allowances which add a few more tens of thousands. Assuming he can keep both salaries, he's in great shape.

But, the drawbacks are:

1. By retiring, he loses his non-taxable allowances
2. By retiring, he will now have to become a resident of the state in which he lives and pay state income tax.
3. He won't be in the SES long enough to draw a second pension.

If he wants the big bucks up front and can keep them, he probably should retire.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:03 pm

He could be loaned over on an IPA, and the TSA pays the Coast Guard for his salary.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

He is retiring from the Coast Guard. That way they can promote a two star to VADM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
He is retiring from the Coast Guard. That way they can promote a two star to VADM.
Know anything about him?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Know anything about him?
Yes. He's one of the good guys. And he's crazy to take the job, which is what I told him after I heard about the nomination.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. He's one of the good guys. And he's crazy to take the job, which is what I told him after I heard about the nomination.
And your advice is borne out by the title used for him by the OP!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was with some USCG O-6s last week who told me the same thing. (Of course, all of those O-6s will be competing for the vacant RDML billet that will result from the daisy chain of retirements and promotions.)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope going to TSA doesn't rub the good off of him.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

Actually, I am concerned that he may make things worse and make going through security more annoying.

According to this blog post and cited article http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ess-efficient/

he said "But dealing with the problems exposed by the inspector general could tip the balance back toward stiffer security, he said.

'There may be a need to introduce some inefficiencies to address the recent findings of the inspector general,'"

This concerns me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guflyer
Actually, I am concerned that he may make things worse and make going through security more annoying.

According to this blog post and cited article http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ess-efficient/

he said "But dealing with the problems exposed by the inspector general could tip the balance back toward stiffer security, he said.

'There may be a need to introduce some inefficiencies to address the recent findings of the inspector general,'"

This concerns me.
I think most people can accept reasonable security screenings and methods.

What needs to be looked at is why do a full blown shake down when it could be done in incremental steps based on building evidence that a higher level of screening is needed for that individual. Alarm and extra steps or taken. Have contraband then extra steps are taken.

But the first order of business should be a mandatory all hands directive that TSA employees treat travelers respectfully. Loud, abusive sounding orders from a screener should result in an immediate suspension. Retaliatory acts should result in firing the employee on the spot no matter the reason.

We all know that TSA or some other screening service is here to stay. But why does TSA need to treat passengers like convicts when it just isn't necessary.

I have greeted some TSA employees and had a snarl in returned. Not only is that type of act non-professional but it lacks basic courtesy.

In my opinion the biggest step forward for TSA would be to demand its employees treat passengers with dignity and respect with severe penalties for acting otherwise.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 29, 2015 at 6:32 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

Jeh Johnson's remarks at the Neffenger swearing in:

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/07/06/r...-administrator
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Jeh Johnson's remarks at the Neffenger swearing in:
Originally Posted by Johnson
To put all this in context: Aviation security involves layers of protection seen and unseen. As was the case here, our IG, who has the benefit of an insider’s knowledge, routinely conducts tests of various isolated parts of the system, without passing through all of it like the traveling public must do.

... 10-point plan ...

Two, I have directed “back to basics” training for every TSA officer in the country. ... We project that all TSA officers will have received this training by the end of September.
Four months to retrain them?
Three, TSA has increased manual screening measures.
Uh oh.
Therefore, since mid-June TSA has reintroduced the use of hand-held metal detectors at security check-points across the country.
Okay, that's good. ^
Five, TSA is re-testing and re-evaluating the type of screening equipment that was tested by the IG at airports across the United States, to ensure that it performs as expected. Senior TSA officials and I have personally met with the chief executive officer of the manufacturer of the equipment, and he has pledged the company’s full support and cooperation in this effort.
I'm assuming this is the nude-o-scope, not the WTMD or bag x-ray for which (I believe) there are multiple manufacturers. (And, by now, surely even TSA understands how WTMD and x-rays work.) I would have thought they'd test it to see if it "performs as expected" before they, you know, bought quite so many of them. But that's probably just me.
Six, and longer term, we are assessing the existing performance standards for the screening equipment and identifying areas where the operability of the equipment can be enhanced.
Guessing NoS again. "Enhancing" the "operability"?
Seven, we are re-evaluating the practice of “managed inclusion.”
How about you just drop PreCheck and "inclusively manage" everyone? It would be faster, cheaper and at least as effective as what you've been doing so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.