Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

You're being video taped at T. F. Green Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

http://www.wnd.com/2015/06/dhs-video...predict-crime/

The stated goal is to evaluate “whether the behavioral indicators used to screen for passengers with hostile intent can be reliably observed by BDOs (Behavior Detection Officers) via live video images as opposed to in person.”
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/06/dhs-video...78ogWbGPr4s.99
The mind boggles.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
People are being filmed anywhere in the airports by TSA.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Yes; however, this filming is "designed" to detect ill-intent via video rather than "in person", which as we know the DHS OIG has said is a useless activity.

Are the BD"O"s going to select people for PreCheck via video tapes?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Yes; however, this filming is "designed" to detect ill-intent via video rather than "in person", which as we know the DHS OIG has said is a useless activity.

Are the BD"O"s going to select people for PreCheck via video tapes?
Nope. They're going to look for suspicious behavior and send people to your house to interrogate you. *

Mike

Note: Three years from now, when this actually starts to happen, could a Mod remove the winky-face? Thanks in advance. I'd do it myself, but I don't think they're going to let me on the internet from prison, where I'll be after attempting to go through security with a clean-shaven face while wringing my hands. That's a no-no.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
Nope. They're going to look for suspicious behavior and send people to your house to interrogate you. *

Mike

Note: Three years from now, when this actually starts to happen, could a Mod remove the winky-face? Thanks in advance. I'd do it myself, but I don't think they're going to let me on the internet from prison, where I'll be after attempting to go through security with a clean-shaven face while wringing my hands. That's a no-no.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Watching video for suspicious behavior is something the Brits and others have been doing for a long time. It is probably happening in NYC as well.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if The Surveillance Camera Players are still around?

Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Watching video for suspicious behavior is something the Brits and others have been doing for a long time. It is probably happening in NYC as well.
There's a huge difference between looking for suspicious behavior and trying to determine ill-intent. The first is looking for actions while the second is mind-reading.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm

Shocking ! Shocking that a modern airport is still using video "tape". I thought it was all DVR now.

In related news, all other airports, most retail stores, gyms, restaurants, sports venues, private employers, public streets, etc are recording the public as well. This isn't news.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Shocking ! Shocking that a modern airport is still using video "tape". I thought it was all DVR now.

In related news, all other airports, most retail stores, gyms, restaurants, sports venues, private employers, public streets, etc are recording the public as well. This isn't news.
But they are not doing in order to predict future "crimes", which is exactly what DHS/TSA is doing:

In other words, the DHS wants to use video images of passengers to predict crimes.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: none
Sounds like a great idea for a movie plot.
Maybe could ge Tom Cruise as the star.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Sounds like a great idea for a movie plot.
Maybe could ge Tom Cruise as the star.
Ridiculous! Never!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl

But they are not doing in order to predict future "crimes", which is exactly what DHS/TSA is doing:
Not to mention that it is questionable (see the Surveillance Video Players link above) whether video surveillance really serves any useful purpose at all. Sure, they love it in crime dramas and there's the occasional anecdote, but has anyone done serious academic study on the effectiveness of these cameras?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Not to mention that it is questionable (see the Surveillance Video Players link above) whether video surveillance really serves any useful purpose at all. Sure, they love it in crime dramas and there's the occasional anecdote, but has anyone done serious academic study on the effectiveness of these cameras?
http://journalistsresource.org/studi...eras-and-crime

A quick perusal finds that cameras might prevent some crimes but not necessarily the most serious ones. Where they could be useful is in pursuing perps. Are they worth the cost?

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/ar...nal-literature

“This article deals with a paradox: Video surveillance becomes widespread, in more and more numerous social and national spaces, while its effects in terms of crime prevention and/or law enforcement and community reassurance are not demonstrated.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Actually they aren't. The video surveillance systems at all US airports are installed and operated by the local airport authority. The airports will allow the TSA varying levels of access to both live and recorded video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.