Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Government Waste: $40 Million Dollar Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Those scanners were pulled out of airports like the one here in San Antonio after public outcry over privacy. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) paid $160,000 a piece for them, but we found them being auctioned off in San Antonio for as little as ten bucks.

Local government agencies can bid on surplus equipment the federal government no longer wants. Most of the stuff is old; furniture and computers, border patrol flashlights and other items the government got years of use out of. But in the middle of the warehouse, still sitting in the original boxes, we found six full-body airport scanners that have never been used.
Source

I would have paid $10 to scrap one when they first came out.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta, United
To be fair, the scanners when purchased met the specification in the RFP. It was latter that the rules changed that made them unusable as originally intentioned. What TSA screwed up on was not thinking that the public would not find the initial images to be invasive. Especially given the make up on their front line staff.

That said being in the image processing research field I was rather surprised that Rapidscan was not able to modify their software to meet the new rules.

Further, as much as I dislike the AIT, the technology does work as proposed. The problem is that it is not effective (can not detect keistered items) and until recently was intrusive. Not too mention a whole host of other issues.

In the end I am surprised these did not end up at federal prison as substitute for strip searches (sans the squat and cough).
Old May 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
To be fair, the scanners when purchased met the specification in the RFP. It was latter that the rules changed that made them unusable as originally intentioned. What TSA screwed up on was not thinking that the public would not find the initial images to be invasive. Especially given the make up on their front line staff.

That said being in the image processing research field I was rather surprised that Rapidscan was not able to modify their software to meet the new rules.

Further, as much as I dislike the AIT, the technology does work as proposed. The problem is that it is not effective (can not detect keistered items) and until recently was intrusive. Not too mention a whole host of other issues.

In the end I am surprised these did not end up at federal prison as substitute for strip searches (sans the squat and cough).
They were called out repeatedly for the inexcusable irresponsibility (dare I say criminal irresponsibility) of knowingly subjecting the public and their own clerkforce with ionizing radiation known to cause cancer. The privacy issue was nothing more than the excuse to get rid of these things while never admitting the much bigger problem or industrial radiation that was concentrated on the skin and eyes.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
...Further, as much as I dislike the AIT, the technology does work as proposed. The problem is that it is not effective (can not detect keistered items) and until recently was intrusive. Not too mention a whole host of other issues....
AIT is still intrusive. Addition of a filter does not change the fact that a detailed search of one's body akin to a strip search is occurring without probable cause, suspicion, etc.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I would love to see if someone could buy one of these machines and then test it for the amount of radiation they emit. I always wondered why these values were never published by Uncle.

DD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.