Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Report: U.S. airport security equipment improperly managed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free

I haven't seen a thread on this. If I missed it, moderators, please move this there.

From CNN:
Maintenance of explosive detecting scanners and x-ray machines at the U.S. airport security checkpoints are not being managed properly, according to a new government report. And the Department of Homeland Security can't even definitively say they are all working properly.

See full article here (including a link to OIG report):
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/politi...eneral-report/

What isn't mentioned in the CNN report is the threat of human health issues. Especially with the x-ray machines.

I work in a manufacturing environment and calibration and preventative maintenance of equipment is a fundamental! TSA doesn't even need to start from scratch. There are multitudes of IT solutions for managing these activities. However, the idea that this could be implemented by the end of September is laughable! Not in the government!
Old May 13, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ediemac1
I haven't seen a thread on this. If I missed it, moderators, please move this there.

From CNN:
Maintenance of explosive detecting scanners and x-ray machines at the U.S. airport security checkpoints are not being managed properly, according to a new government report. And the Department of Homeland Security can't even definitively say they are all working properly.

See full article here (including a link to OIG report):
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/politi...eneral-report/

What isn't mentioned in the CNN report is the threat of human health issues. Especially with the x-ray machines.

I work in a manufacturing environment and calibration and preventative maintenance of equipment is a fundamental! TSA doesn't even need to start from scratch. There are multitudes of IT solutions for managing these activities. However, the idea that this could be implemented by the end of September is laughable! Not in the government!
Not surprising. TSA was incapable of maintaning Explosive Trace Portals which resulted in millions of dollars of perfectly good machines being trashed by TSA.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:06 pm

Will the TSA have problems with the MMW scanners dues to lack of maintenance? I figure they will need some routine maintenance.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: QFF
TSA doesn't even have the right equipment for the task. What makes anyone think they are capable of managing the equipment they do have?
Old May 21, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by ediemac1
However, the idea that this could be implemented by the end of September is laughable! Not in the government!
Welcome to the government, where unrealistic deadlines rule the day.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Welcome to the government, where unrealistic deadlines rule the day.
TSA's problems are more aligned with smoke and mirror security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.