Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Would being a bum rule out being a TT?
Don't they normally ask about travel and travel plans when getting one? Bums won't have the money to be doing that sort of thing.

Of course a TT could later become a bum but that's not very likely.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greentips
My all time favorite came after I moved back to Ann Arbor from Albuquerque. I went over to Windsor with friends from Detroit for dinner. On my way back, I was asked about my car, how long I owned it, proof of residence, and after 15 minutes asked why I was driving a German car, with a Mexican license plate from Canada to the US.

After I explained to him that the car was purchased in Ann Arbor, the license plate was New Mexico and pointed out it even said New Mexico USA on it, he asked me (a fair haired American of German ancestry) if I was Mexican. The registration listed my former Albuquerque address, and he insisted that New Mexico was part of Mexico. When I arrived at secondary the inspector took one look at my car, license plate, shook his head and said, sorry, welcome home.
I've heard of idiots who don't understand that New Mexico isn't Mexico but I'm amazed that one managed to get a job in CBP. I would think some knowledge of the world would be required to be hired!
Old May 30, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Don't they normally ask about travel and travel plans when getting one? Bums won't have the money to be doing that sort of thing.

Of course a TT could later become a bum but that's not very likely.
Some well know people have been broke, living in vehicles, shelters, and on the streets. William Shatner, Kelsey Grammer, Halle Berry, and David Letterman being a few examples.

I would agree that travel was likely not a priority at certain times for these people but throwing out labels like "bum" doesn't really describe the person or their potential.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some well know people have been broke, living in vehicles, shelters, and on the streets. William Shatner, Kelsey Grammer, Halle Berry, and David Letterman being a few examples.

I would agree that travel was likely not a priority at certain times for these people but throwing out labels like "bum" doesn't really describe the person or their potential.
The point is non-bums aren't very likely to be stopped by CBP for financial issues.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
he asked me (a fair haired American of German ancestry) if I was Mexican.
Fair question actually. Lots of ethnic Germans in Mexico and the rest of Latin America.

Family friend of my wife's actually was stranded there during WW-II (she was from Germany) and made a career teaching German in Mexico before joining family in Canada after retiring.

An Argentinean friend of mine living in Mexico told me of the time he crossed from Tijuana to the U.S. by foot with a German passport. He was grilled by the agent and then the German-speaking supervisor found that he did speak German. A 3rd generation German Argentinean all of whom went to German school in Argentina (some 86 certified by the German education ministry, I am told) and then university in Germany.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Would being a bum rule out being a TT?
No, but it depends on whether or not the law-abiding "bum" has a residential history that satisfies DHS and an "accepted" means to pay for travel.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:30 pm
Suspended

My all time favorite came after I moved back to Ann Arbor from Albuquerque. I went over to Windsor with friends from Detroit for dinner. On my way back, I was asked about my car, how long I owned it, proof of residence, and after 15 minutes asked why I was driving a German car, with a Mexican license plate from Canada to the US.

After I explained to him that the car was purchased in Ann Arbor, the license plate was New Mexico and pointed out it even said New Mexico USA on it, he asked me (a fair haired American of German ancestry) if I was Mexican. The registration listed my former Albuquerque address, and he insisted that New Mexico was part of Mexico. When I arrived at secondary the inspector took one look at my car, license plate, shook his head and said, sorry, welcome home.
There are numerous European-Mexicans and SW Asian-Mexicans who look as American of German ancestry as my Upper Midwest friends who had only German grandparents (some of those grandparents locked up during World War 1 due to anti-German hysteria in the U.S.).
Old May 30, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point is non-bums aren't very likely to be stopped by CBP for financial issues.
No, the point is that calling a person a bum is demeaning and condesending.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
No, but it depends on whether or not the law-abiding "bum" has a residential history that satisfies DHS and an "accepted" means to pay for travel.
And it's the latter that's going to keep them from getting a TT card. The sort of person prone to coming here and working under the table won't be able to meet the means of paying for travel test.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:54 pm
Suspended

And it's the latter that's going to keep them from getting a TT card. The sort of person prone to coming here and working under the table won't be able to meet the means of paying for travel test.
I'm not so sure about that. Plenty of people live off other people, and there are such people who have visited the US using only money given to them by the government or family/friends for purposes of income/lifestyle/housing support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.