Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

tsa asking where are you flying AND more "stuff"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

On my last several trips out of JFK (all to LAS) AA T8--I'm in the pre-check system, the same agent asked "where am I flying", I answered Las Vegas, he then asked what hotel was I staying in; I did not want to get delayed, so I answered.
How is knowing the hotel related to security...on second thought, how is stating my flts. destination relevant to security either.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:26 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
On my last several trips out of JFK (all to LAS) AA T8--I'm in the pre-check system, the same agent asked "where am I flying", I answered Las Vegas, he then asked what hotel was I staying in; I did not want to get delayed, so I answered.
How is knowing the hotel related to security...on second thought, how is stating my flts. destination relevant to security either.
It's not. My standard answer to where are you flying, if I even deem to respond, is "away from here."
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by nrr
This may have been one of those cases of idle curiosity, where a clueless TSO is asking what he thinks is an innocent question to make idle chitchat. Or, it could be one of those DBO questions, where "Oh, really! What hotel are you staying at?" is considered a harmless question, but your demeanor during the response is used as a magical flying terrorist detector.

Either way, I don't think this was one of those fascist traveling-database we're-watching-you-24/7 type questions. The TSO was just an idiot.

Stating your destination is supposed to trip up those who are sneaking into the sterile area on a fraudulent BP. The swiss-cheese-like theory is that if you're a stow-away who is illicitly transiting the c/p on a stolen, expired, altered, or forged BP - or ID - you will quite naturally completely forget your assumed name and bogus destination. Given that, when you say, "Ummm..." after the questions, BAM! You're caught!

KDS, the proper answer to these invasive questions any time you're traveling for work is "I'm not at liberty to discuss my travel plans." Which is usually true - almost every company prohibits discussion of company business with unauthorized outsiders, particularly if your company does any business with any government agencies.

If you're traveling for personal reasons, you can still say it, though it's a bit more of a stretch; I've been advised many times that even discussing my personal travel plans with strangers is unwise and potentially a security risk for my employer and their clients.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:54 am

Idle chit chat. Vegas is a cool place with recognizable, epic hotels. Maybe the TSO had been there before and you could have bonded over Circus Circus memories.

It is a tough job. Guy was just trying to lighten it up.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AArlington
Idle chit chat. Vegas is a cool place with recognizable, epic hotels. Maybe the TSO had been there before and you could have bonded over Circus Circus memories.

+1
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by AArlington

Since OP didn't mention anything about the TSO's demeanor when asking this question, there really isn't any evidence to support this or debunk it.

The question could have been idle chitchat, personal curiosity on the part of the TSO, or a BDO question designed to sniff out ter'ists. Without nnr coming back to the thread and elaborating on the TSO's tone and demeanor, we can't make a determination one way or the other.

Ironically, what I've just described is a poor man's version of SPOT - trying to determine the TSO's intent, long after the fact, via a second-hand description of his tone and demeanor. Funny.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:27 am

Likely idle chit chat or curiosity. The clerk surely knew your destination, provided he was current on TSA's extensive "reading boarding passes 201, with practical exercise lab" training.

Questions from TSA clerks happen almost every time I travel. I presume it's chit chat, but make a deliberate effort to verify that assumption. I respond to these questions with something very friendly, but also something that doesn't actually answer the question. My intent is to immediately figure out it the clerk in chit chat mode or interrogation/BDO mode. For example:

Typical:
TSA clerk: Where are you flying today?
Mr. Sx: Someplace sunny and warm. Tired of this cold weather.

TSA clerk: Ya, I hear you, it's been horrible for weeks
Mr. Sx: Have a nice day.

TSA clerk: You too.
Rare:
TSA clerk: Where are you flying today?
Mr. Sx: Someplace sunny and warm. Tired of this cold weather.

TSA clerk: Sir. I need to know where you are flying today.
Mr. Sx: My destination is written on my boarding pass.

TSA clerk: (Some other silly question or implied threat)
Mr. Sx: Am I being detained or interrogated?

TSA clerk: (Some variation of No that doesn't reason sound like "no")
Mr. Sx: Then I am free to go on my way?

TSA clerk: Yes, have a nice day.
Every once in a while, a clerk implies that my answers are required (most often it's the "state your name" silliness). This is why I try to figure out which mode we're in (interrogation or idle chit chat) as soon as possible. It seems to me that a small percentage of clerks think they are investigators or BDO wannabees. IME, these play detectives immediately stop playing after I stand up for myself.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
My responses vary...

TSO: Where are you flying today?
Me: What day is it as I fly so much I get confused

Me: I forgot, may I see the boarding pass which you are holding in your hand as it has my destination on it

Me: Home (if I'm flying home)

Me: Are you a BDO?

You get the idea as I have no use for stoopidity
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
My responses vary...

Me: I forgot, may I see the boarding pass which you are holding in your hand as it has my destination on it

I put them in the same class as the Car Rental Agent/Hotel Desk Clerk: What brings you to our podunk little hole in the wall town (more or less)?

Me: A big shiny airplane.

Is this business or pleasure? Yes. (They never get that this is a correct answer.)

As for the TSO, I have two answers: "Away" and "Home."
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:27 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I started this thread. A followup comment: In the morning (around 5:15 AM) when I took my flts. to LAS, the PRE-CHECK lines on two of my flts. were long getting to the TSA id screener--probably due to his asking non-secuity related questions. For my last trip the id check line was considerably shorter.
PS: At JFK T8 (AA), all P-C lanes are not being utilized (especially at 5:15 am)...causing big queues even after the id check...once the belt for luggage scan was running BACKWARDS, causing that lane to close.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie

My responses vary...

I put them in the same class as the Car Rental Agent/Hotel Desk Clerk: What brings you to our podunk little hole in the wall town (more or less)?

Me: A big shiny airplane.

Is this business or pleasure? Yes. (They never get that this is a correct answer.)

As for the TSO, I have two answers: "Away" and "Home."
There's a huge difference. The rental car employee is not conducting a government interrogation
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
There's a huge difference. The rental car employee is not conducting a government interrogation
^ And the rental car employee doesn't make threats to have you arrested if he doesn't like the way you pronounce your name. @:-)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
^ And the rental car employee doesn't make threats to have you arrested if he doesn't like the way you pronounce your name. @:-)
...and the rental car counter people are hired because they can get along with their customers and are genuinely courteous and helpful.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I meant it as in "banal" or "inane" and not in consideration of the legal seriousness. Point taken and accepted.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Yup. I have preempting this with "Sigh. Sir, may I ask why should I tell you my name? Unless you know Hungarian -- which is extremely unlikely -- you have no way to determine whether the name I will tell you is the same printed there as it sounds absolutely nothing like an English speaker would read my name."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.