Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

The Hill: Senate seeks progress on TSA nomination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

It is difficult to find a "qualified, experienced, and dedicated individual" willing to be nominated for TSA Administrator:

The Hill:
Senate seeks progress on TSA nomination

03/12/15 09:49 AM EDT

A short excerpt:
The Obama administration has made little progress on selecting a new Transportation Security Administration chief, despite growing pressure from congressional Republicans to fill the position, which has been vacant for three months.

The TSA’s long-time former head John Pistole retired at the end of the year, and the agency has been helmed by acting Administrator Melvin Carraway ever since.

The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee is scheduled to hold a hearing on Tuesday about the TSA’s budget for fiscal 2016, and lawmakers on the panel have noted that they expected to have received word on a TSA nominee from the Obama administration by now.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
It is difficult to find a "qualified, experienced, and dedicated individual" willing to be nominated for TSA Administrator:

The Hill:
Senate seeks progress on TSA nomination

03/12/15 09:49 AM EDT

A short excerpt:
What 'qualified, experience, dedicated' individual wants to take over an agency that is largely lacking these traits, particularly the higher up you go in the organization?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
What 'qualified, experience, dedicated' individual wants to take over an agency that is largely lacking these traits, particularly the higher up you go in the organization?
Further, who in their right mind would want to take the helm of a failure of an agency?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: QFF

I'd take the job if i wasn't limited by America's paranoia and fear.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Further, who in their right mind would want to take the helm of a failure of an agency?
Plenty of folks. Nothing would look better on your resume than taking a failing organization and turning it until a successful one.

That presumes, of course, that (a) TSA can be fixed, and (b) there is enough political will to allow TSA to be fixed. Obviously, opinions will vary as to whether either is true. The lack of candidates might suggest that it can't be done.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Plenty of folks. Nothing would look better on your resume than taking a failing organization and turning it until a successful one.

That presumes, of course, that (a) TSA can be fixed, and (b) there is enough political will to allow TSA to be fixed. Obviously, opinions will vary as to whether either is true. The lack of candidates might suggest that it can't be done.
I completely agree with your sentence that I highlighted, but in order to fix it, the TSA it would have to be torn apart and reconstructed which will not happen in my lifetime.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I completely agree with your sentence that I highlighted, but in order to fix it, the TSA it would have to be torn apart and reconstructed which will not happen in my lifetime.
I could do that. I am a maintenance guy. We are good at taking things apart.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The problem is that about half the gear train was never designed, not installed, and there are no drawings of the original unit.

This is how I see TSA.

Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
InkUnderNails for director!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.