Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS: No Budget = 30,000 Feb 28 Furloughs; “Essential” TSA Works Without Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DHS: No Budget = 30,000 Feb 28 Furloughs; “Essential” TSA Works Without Pay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I just don't see the downside of having 30,000 DHS people furloughed.

The biggest downside is that we will have to pay them anyway. I cannot assume that every single person who is furloughed is doing nothing that benefits the country.

DHS isn't just the TSA. It includes Immigration services, the Coast Guard, FEMA. While I realize that each of these organizations have their plusses and minuses, I can't believe that they will be improved by having their staff furloughed.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I might be misremebering this, but I could swear I heard some anecdotes on FT about TSA slowing things down intentionally something like two weeks BEFORE the last government shutdown, in 2013. Anyone else remember that, or am I remembering something that didn't really happen?
I'm not sure if you just pulled a Brian Williams or not, of if I'm doing so now, but I don't recall a TSA slowdown just before and during the 2013 fall government shutdown.

I do recall that CBP's GE interviews being performed during the shutdown were easier to come by in DC and extra-quick compared to usual.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:49 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I might be misremebering this, but I could swear I heard some anecdotes on FT about TSA slowing things down intentionally something like two weeks BEFORE the last government shutdown, in 2013. Anyone else remember that, or am I remembering something that didn't really happen?
My recollection is that there was speculation here in FT about that possibility, and I know that I heard some TSOs joking about the furlough effects at a couple of checkpoints, but I don't recall personally experiencing any actual slowdowns.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
The biggest downside is that we will have to pay them anyway.
Kind of. Depends on a number of factors. Most Federal employees furloughed under the sequestration could not work during sequestration and were not paid. That was actually written into the sequester laws. Now there have been other furloughs, like the ones caused by delays in passing a budget authorization, where there was back pay whether the employee worked or not. Gets muddy even to civil servants as there is always the "mission essential", "life and safety", etc., designations that can exempt you from any kind of furlough that aren't particularly clear or well understood.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Kind of. Depends on a number of factors. Most Federal employees furloughed under the sequestration could not work during sequestration and were not paid. That was actually written into the sequester laws. Now there have been other furloughs, like the ones caused by delays in passing a budget authorization, where there was back pay whether the employee worked or not. Gets muddy even to civil servants as there is always the "mission essential", "life and safety", etc., designations that can exempt you from any kind of furlough that aren't particularly clear or well understood.
Thanks for the additional explanation. In this case, my understanding is that it would not be sequester but a delay in passing a budget authorization, so based on history, that would suggest back pay, although, congress could prevent that.

One of the problems we have had with Congress in the recent past (and it seems moving into the future) is that they criticize the status quo, oppose the actions proposed (or implemented) by the President but fail to propose alternatives.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Thanks for the additional explanation. In this case, my understanding is that it would not be sequester but a delay in passing a budget authorization, so based on history, that would suggest back pay, although, congress could prevent that.

One of the problems we have had with Congress in the recent past (and it seems moving into the future) is that they criticize the status quo, oppose the actions proposed (or implemented) by the President but fail to propose alternatives.
In the present DHS situation I'd agree that normally, barring some language in the authorization, that employees would get back pay if furloughed. Still a bit unnerving for the employees and it gets old quickly. I'm retired now but Mrs. K still works for the government so I haven't escaped the drama totally. She's a director in her agency so it's not only the personal stress but also her having to deal with the morale of her staff. Despite all the jokes about "working welfare", "did you find work or are you still with the government?", "it's a nasty job but somebody has to do it", and so on the majority of Federal employees take their jobs seriously just like anybody in the private sector.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:42 am

In the present DHS situation I'd agree that normally, barring some language in the authorization, that employees would get back pay if furloughed. Still a bit unnerving for the employees and it gets old quickly. I'm retired now but Mrs. K still works for the government so I haven't escaped the drama totally. She's a director in her agency so it's not only the personal stress but also her having to deal with the morale of her staff. Despite all the jokes about "working welfare", "did you find work or are you still with the government?", "it's a nasty job but somebody has to do it", and so on the majority of Federal employees take their jobs seriously just like anybody in the private sector.
You bring up another point which I fully concur with but had chosen not to make. I was looking at it solely from the taxpayer perspective. Although even looking at it from the taxpayer perspective, there is something in what you say. Taxpayers complain about the quality and work ethic of government employees but then allow (through their elected representatives) these kind of shenanigans to take place. How can you expect a strong work ethic when you are so irresponsible as an employer? And yet, even with all this, I know many Federal employees who do have a strong work ethic despite all of this.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
As someone who considering buying an air ticket for travel on February 28, I am wondering if I need to move up my travel day one day just to be safe.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just to clarify there are two separate kinds of furloughs - both of which occured during 2013.

Due to budget reductions from sequestration, some agencies furloughed employees in order to balance their budget. This would be much like a waitress having her hours cut - you're not "scheduled" to work and thus would never receive pay for those furloughed hours. Nothing was written into the sequestration law, this is an authority that all agencies already have and is known as an Administrative Furlough http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...ative-Furlough It is used to save funds due to downsizing, reduced funding, lack of work, or any budget situation other than a lapse in appropriations. Agencies generally have broad discretion over which employees, job series, etc. will be furloughed under an administrative furlough.

The second kind, a Shutdown Furlough happens when there is a lapse in appropriations and is the kind of furlough at issue here (with respect to employees paid from the relevant annual appropriated funds). There is no guarantee of back pay although historically it has usually occurred most every time, AFAIK.

"mission essential" (or similar term) employees have to work even under an appropriation lapse. Those employees will eventually receive backpay, as the government has received a benefit from their employment.

Some agencies handle the designation of mission essential employees better than others. With some it's indeed a bit of a confusion.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Smaug
As someone who considering buying an air ticket for travel on February 28, I am wondering if I need to move up my travel day one day just to be safe.
I wouldn't change my travel plans.

The sequence of events if DHS isn't funded won't really start happening until Monday, March 2. Funding lasts through Feb 27, which is a Friday. Furloughed employees will have to go to work Monday to receive their official notices, and secure offices. So although funding may lapse, the true deadline is Monday morning. Any agreement before approximately noon on Monday will cancel the furlough process.

TSOs and most TSA airport personnel are essential. So they won't be furloughed. They will be advised that all scheduled annual leave is cancelled and sick leave may not be paid out. In practice, time off will be case-by-case. But depending on the bill passed by congress, leave will or will not be paid out for employees who take time off.

This won't impact employee paychecks for two week s. TSA employees will receive pay checks for the 2 weeks ending Feb 21 on March 2. That will be a full paycheck for everyone. If the funding lapse continues, TSA employees will receive a partial paycheck for work done through Feb 27 on March 16 (about half a paycheck).

As others have written, there is no guarantee that furloughed employees will receive back pay. But they always have in the past. I can't imagine a scenario in which essential employees aren't paid for work they are directed to do.

Airport operations won't be disrupted until TSOs start missing pay checks. I hope it doesn't happen, but it would be interesting to see how long essential employees would come to work without a paycheck.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by castrobenes
Airport operations won't be disrupted until TSOs start missing pay checks. I hope it doesn't happen, but it would be interesting to see how long essential employees would come to work without a paycheck.
I'm not certain, but I think that if you're a gov't employee who has been marked as 'essential', and you just stop showing up a week or two into a government shutdown, you can be disciplined, and possibly even forfeit any of that back pay for the time you did work. I heard a lot of speculation on that during the 2013 shutdown, though of course none of the gov't employees with whom I worked failed to report, so we never got any definitive answer.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KDS
My recollection is that there was speculation here in FT about that possibility, and I know that I heard some TSOs joking about the furlough effects at a couple of checkpoints, but I don't recall personally experiencing any actual slowdowns.
My personal recollection, certainly anecdotal, was as I was getting the inevitable bag check the TSO remarked that I should plan an extra hour for security the next week if the government shutdown went through and a bunch of them were furloughed.

I replied that I would be happy to get to the airport TWO hours earlier if the shutdown contributed to the elimination of the travesty to the Constitution that the TSA has become.

Or something like that. It has been a while.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I replied that I would be happy to get to the airport TWO hours earlier if the shutdown contributed to the elimination of the travesty to the Constitution that the TSA has become.
What was their overreaction to such a reply?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Himeno
If I was in charge of TSA and my staff tried that, they'd get a warning and if it continued, they'd be replaced.
You can't warn them, let alone fire them, for work to rule.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
You can't warn them, let alone fire them, for work to rule.
The example was not "work to rule". It was a mass sick call creating an illegal strike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.