Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
It would never occur to me to think of Power Bars as *organic matter*. If someone asked about food, maybe. What would it take to bring perjury charges against the screener based on the tape? Does he have a case against the police for false imprisonment?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:21 pm

I'm probably going to get flammed to death for this but here goes anyway.

Do you think the TSA is slowly becoming like the police who can kill with immunity? Most of us feel powerless against the TSA. We don't look them in the eye, we don't dare ask a question or point out the abject stupidity of their actions because we know then have ultimate and absolute authority. If we make the right investment (Clear, pre-check, etc) we can buy them off.

Is this in any way what it feels like to be a black man in Ferguson?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:26 pm

"Does he have a case against the police for false imprisonment?"

Yeah, sure, in a just world this would be a clear case of violation
of rights. However, can you name a single example of TSA or
other airport "security" goons being prosecuted for anything but
theft or drug smuggling? The 4th Amendment and Due Process are
dead, at least in airports, and until there is a fundamental change in the
status quo this kind of crap will just keep on happening.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
"Does he have a case against the police for false imprisonment?"

Yeah, sure, in a just world this would be a clear case of violation
of rights. However, can you name a single example of TSA or
other airport "security" goons being prosecuted for anything but
theft or drug smuggling? The 4th Amendment and Due Process are
dead, at least in airports, and until there is a fundamental change in the
status quo this kind of crap will just keep on happening.
At least this guy is trying to get some justice.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
It would never occur to me to think of Power Bars as *organic matter*. If someone asked about food, maybe. What would it take to bring perjury charges against the screener based on the tape? Does he have a case against the police for false imprisonment?
In the comments section of the linked article, there is one person who insists that the "victim" (my term) lied to the TSA when asked about organic matter because he, the vic, should have known it was organic. This commenter is also insisting that the passenger is unintelligent because he doesn't know what organic matter is.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
In the comments section of the linked article, there is one person who insists that the "victim" (my term) lied to the TSA when asked about organic matter because he, the vic, should have known it was organic. This commenter is also insisting that the passenger is unintelligent because he doesn't know what organic matter is.
That commentator sounds like TSORon!!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:15 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by yandosan
In Singapore they have a little computer at the end of customs to
allow you rate your experience.
Here in the Land of the Free they seem to take delight in the misery of
the whole process. Very peculiar.
This is an awful, infuriating story and I really hope the media attention forces someone at the TSA and police to be held accountable for this gross miscarriage of authority... the fact this even made it to trial is appalling. Unfortunately, this story does not seem to be unique and is only one of countless similar events which have made it to the press and not resulted in any meaningful change in training and tone at US airports (be it at the TSA or CBP).

The Singapore example above is notable. Singapore immigration officers tend to smile and they also offer a candy dish for you to help yourself. It's just such a stark contrast to how they view their roles versus CBP in the US. Yes, in Singapore, they are professionals and doing a serious job, but they feel they can do that without intentionally being intimidating and with the trappings of a paramilitary-esque police force.

I get it CBP officers, you're defending the border. But you are also the first point of contact with the US and employees of the US government, and are thus particularly representative of the country. Being professional, doing your job well and also being friendly and welcoming to legitimate visitors and returning citizens are not mutually exclusive.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:17 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As a marathon runner, I've carried various energy bars through US airports countless times and never had a problem - I would certainly never have dreamed they were 'organic matter', and it certainly sounds as if whoever asked that question deliberately wanted to engineer a confrontation, and just made something up when they didn't get one.

I could understand if CBP objected to me importing some on entry from the UK - they could at a stretch be thought to contain fruit - hence I always buy locally, but what I have leftover I take on to my next US destination after running.

That this should happen is simply outrageous, but maybe it's not a co-incidence that the TSA at Philly also provided me with my greatest moment of amusement, where the TSA associate checked my British passport, complimented me on my grasp of English, then asked what language I spoke in my country ... so perhaps they don't actually have a particularly high bar on employment there.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:28 am

What do you expect from the TSA? Who were never at the top before they got hired, and once hired are considered scum of the earth?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
All things aside, this guy probably won't be getting any of his bail out funds back right?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Just like Edmond Dantès, I would make it my life's mission to see to it that the TSOs, police, and any other government official involved paid dearly for this egregious and flagrantly unconstitutional, unlawful, and immoral act; not just for my sake, but for all the others who will also face these same troglodytes in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I...just...???? Really??!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:17 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I'd like to think that outrage over this type of TSA incident is one of the few things that Red staters and Blue staters can agree on, which is why it's so shocking that nothing has been done to reform this organisation.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
That commentator sounds like TSORon!!
My thought exactly.

Then there is the commenter, Lewis Chaplik, who supports Kieser's contention saying he was there and all this allegedly happened in a private screening area where there is no video.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Didn't Phil Mocek's run in with TSA involve TSA employees giving false witness statements also?

http://www.papersplease.org/wp/mocek/
it certainly did -- the statements made under oath by TSA an Police were clearly and demonstrably perjurious, yet the prosecutor simply declined to bring charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.