Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PA yanks knives from JFK eateries inside security checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PA yanks knives from JFK eateries inside security checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:18 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well this way everyone gets a knife, right?
Probably one of the most classic TV scenes of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM

Enjoi!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well this way everyone gets a knife, right?
Everyone in F, anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
At OFS in ATL they are chained and bolted down. Probably the same in other restaurants, too.
How are the cleaned and sanitized then? Have they traded a potential 'security' issue for an actual food safety issue?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by RBrownTN
How are the cleaned and sanitized then? Have they traded a potential 'security' issue for an actual food safety issue?
No reason they cannot be cleaned manually. Just takes a bit longer. Like in the Olden Days.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by RBrownTN
In prisons the Kitchen Corrections Officers have a key to unlock the knives; they are cleaned/sanitized as normal. They are locked in a cage if they are not being used.

I'm assuming the restaurants adopted the same safety protocol.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by zoo260
But three hours after Newsday and News 12 Long Island aired a report yesterday afternoon showing how easy it was to remove those knives from the airport restaurants, the Port Authority took action. The agency banned the metal steak knives from restaurants inside the secure areas.
In other words, reporter Bill Dedman, Newsday and News 12 Long Island is the reason why we can't have nice stuff at JFK.

The reporter's email is part of his byline under the article PA yanks knives from JFK eateries inside security checkpoint
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by javabytes
Seems a stretch to say this is a DL topic. I predict a move over to TS/S.
You predict correctly.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
PA = a bunch of candyassed morons who do not who what constitutes a thread to aircraft and what does not. The imbecile(s) who made this decision should be caned and terminated.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
PA = a bunch of candyassed morons who do not who what constitutes a thread to aircraft and what does not. The imbecile(s) who made this decision should be caned and terminated.
Doesn't stop at the planes, these same things still think the 1st amendment doesn't apply on their rail systems (PATH and airtrain).
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
I prefer the term officious martinets, but candyassed morons works as additional modifiers. I suppose we could use candyassed officious moronic martinets as a general term, but in common usage the acronym COMM's may come into general use. PA is shorter and synonymous with COMM, but PA refers to COMM's in a specific set of geographic locations so not all COMM's are PA while the inverse is likely true. Now, if we apply the third modifier, imbecile, we can use the full candyassed officious moronic martinet imbicles, or COMMI. Yep, that works.

This is FlyerTalk. Acronyms are good to keep the great unwashed from knowing what the heck we a talking about.

Have a nice holiday! Why are you here today? Me? I just lead a bored existence.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just the way parents pre-cut food portions for their children; steakhouses at airports will now serve TBONES precut
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Just the way parents pre-cut food portions for their children; steakhouses at airports will now serve TBONES precut
Nope, can't have ANY knives in the "sterile" zone, food must now be prechewed!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly
Nope, can't have ANY knives in the "sterile" zone, food must now be prechewed!
Here's your filet, Sir. Black and blue with a straw.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I don't get it. I just don't get it. How can these people be so blinded by an irrational fear that they completely miss the whole point?

Banning these steak knives will not prevent a single act of violence, save a single life, or stop a single terrorist attack. It's a completely useless ban that serves no purpose.

Since 9/11-style attacks are impossible thanks to locked and reinforced cockpit doors, no terrorist will ever try such an attack ever again.

Yes, a group of theoretical Bad Guys could certainly use these knives to cut up a bunch of pax on a plane, but they're going to be facing 300 panicked pax who will stomp them to death at the first sign of violence. Blood WILL run in the isles - blood from the Bad Guys.

Some genius in the story's comments brought up an interesting point - a Terroriser could hold a steak knife to a baby's throat and threaten to kill the baby if he wasn't allowed into the cockpit. So, essentially, the terrorist would threaten to kill the baby if he wasn't allowed to kill EVERYONE, including the baby. Nice logic. I doubt that even the twisted mind of a fanatical suicidal terrorist would think that would work.

Panicked, paranoid people are a greater threat to aviation, and to the world in general, than any terrorist.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:00 am

But what about the FORKS and the CHOPSTICKS?!?!?

/dramatic overreaction

Ridiculous article. Mostly ridiculous comments. Someone actually says "think of the children" in the comments.

I should write an article about, oh, stiletto heels at the airport--complete with pics of people wearing them at an airport, quotes from some fearful person, and video clips of me using stiletto heels to damage something--so as to lend legitimacy and urgency--and see if I can get the airport to ban them. It's unfortunate I won't get paid to generate such nonsense, but I don't work for Newsday.

Last edited by Schmurrr; Dec 2, 2014 at 3:16 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.