Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Says No Need To Remove Your Shoes Or Be Searched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Passengers are actually complaining that TSA allows them to board airplanes without removing their shoes or even searched. According to TSA most passengers are low risk so when there are too many people on line they move some over to the pre-clearance line. This has been happening in the NY area airports. Are people that indoctrinated that they miss being groped and removing their shoes.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...urity-threats/
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Warning: Do not go to the linked article unless you wish to run the risk of losing brain cells from reading it. I have already done the heavy work and saved you the trouble. Here is a pull quote that is typical of the whole article:

In a statement the TSA said that security is being driven by intelligence.
You have been warned.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Delta, United
Amazing what a gallon of Kool-Aid can accomplish.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:50 am

Maybe one of the station higher-ups is annoyed because his/her Pre-Check Experience has been diminished.

Nobody in the article questions the effectiveness of Pre-Check in the first place.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
“The whole thing about security is supposed to be consistency,” said security expert Manuel Gomez.

Gomez, a former FBI agent, said that seeing this in busy airports worries him.

“The TSA, for convenience sake, has chosen to be inconsistent in order to expedite travelers getting through the airport security process,” he said.

Gomez too has been ushered through reduced security, and said the practice could give the wrong people bad ideas.

“Then terrorists could simply keep probing our security and say, ‘OK, statistically speaking, I will eventually get on the pre-check line, and I could then board with whatever explosive that I choose,” he explained.
This is absolutely hilarious!

TSA has said many times that Inconsistency is an integral part of their screening process, designed to keep The Terrorists guessing, so that it is impossible to predict exactly which procedures a Bad Guy would encounter on any given day.

We all know it's hogwash designed to disguise rank incompetence, abysmal training, and zero accountability, but still, it's the official line of BS. Yet here is a supposed "expert", a former FBI agent (how does a background in criminal investigation make someone an expert on physical security and screening, I've always wondered, but I digress), who hasn't thought his own statement through at all.

Sure, you could try multiple times to get an explosive through the lines - TSA calls this "probing" - but if you're carrying an explosive and are caught by the screening process, you won't be around to keep trying again and again, because you'll be in jail.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible to smuggle explosives through even the highest level of TSA screening, simply because they're not looking for C4 or semtex, they're looking for water bottles, snow globes, cupcakes in jars, photographs of firearms, and of course, cash, checks, and weed.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The best cmment on that article said this:

The TSA: Addressing yesterday's security vulnerabilities tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
No surprise. I once watched an American berate a security guard at YYZ for not requiring the removal of shoes (it's not mandatory in Canada unless the flight is U.S. bound.)

I remember a time when "land of the free and home of the brave" actually meant something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.