Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2 arrested for stealing the luggage at Sea-Tac Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 arrested for stealing the luggage at Sea-Tac Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orion
I believe that LAS was about the last U.S. airport to require a baggage tag check but not any more.
Yeah, it's been a long time since they've checked my bags. The did have it as of the early 90s at least, I forget when it stopped.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Grouchy
They have but on smaller airports it's just a door (Schengen area - no customs). Wait on the other side until pax comes out and the door opens and enter. Saw it happen several times from AMS to LPI...noone intervened .
Yes, BSL has it, too. I was on the Schengen area and I already stamp with my passport. I don't have go through passport control again. There is no customs and I went through Switzerland exits. I retrieve the bag & 2 boxes. I have to bring it over there. We have go to the baggage claim instead of going to passport control booth. I follow the passengers where the baggage claim number and I pick the bags up. I have take a baggage carts.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
I last had a tag check about two years ago.

It used to be common at LAX and a few other airports, all where I expected petty crime.

My guess is that most airports track baggage losses and make a simple cost decision. While the payouts are less than labor cost, they don't assign someone to do tag matching.

If think about it logically, cameras are more effective than tag matching. No one steals just one bag, they do it repeatedly, probably with accomplices. Tag matching deters theft from that specific baggage area while the matching is being done. It doesn't stop ramp theft, and it doesn't stop a persistent problem where the thief just watches for the checking being done. Reviewing recorded video takes far less labor, and has a much better chance of identifying the person and quickly eliminating them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.