Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Stumped by Nobel Prize

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 24left
FYI, whining, expressing opinions, complaining... are all freedom of speech.
When did I say a person was not allowed to express their opinions? Or are you trying to throw "freedom of speech" at me because unlike most posters on this thread, I actually supported the TSA's action in this instance with my "freedom of speech"?

No one is disagreeing with the importance of the TSA.
We just all have different opinions of their efficiency or effectiveness based on our own experiences and travels.
Lots of folks on page 1 of this thread blasted the TSA completely including stating how long it should take for the process of questioning from a TSA agent i.e. 2-3 minutes. READ the article. How long did he say the agent took in questioning him? Oh wait, he didnt state. So it could of been 2-3 minutes. I mean, the length of time it would take for him to be asked and to state the answers he stated and for his bag to be checked would be approximately 2-3 mins. Basically he himself whined about being questioned by the TSA and it sparked this thread. Thats all their is to it IMO. He tried to make fun of the fact that the TSA did not know what the object was on their screening. I also stand by my comment that I do not believe most ppl on here in TSA's shoes would know that the medal would show as pure black in the scanner.

To win a nobel prize I would bet he is smart enough to know he was answering as a smarta$$ to them without explaining what was the "block of gold". And which poster talked about their experience except for repacking their bag?

Might I suggest you start at the top of the thread and see the evolution of comments. Funny, sarcastic, critical etc and all examples of our great democracies at work.
i did read it very well thank you. Might I suggest you read it and most importantly understand what was written by the posters, subject of the article, and myself.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:09 pm

They should have swabbed the medal. Since it came from Alfred Nobel, it most likely has traces of dynamite on it.

That way they could have stolen confiscated it.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by trini19
I did think right away though, yes the US has more stringent security (releasing the reigns now with Pre check) but when last or first did ppl fly planes into your buildings?
You need to look in a thesaurus for "stringent" and see if "lunacy" or "all for show" are synonyms.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:26 pm

Oh this guy, he's in my uni and i almost did a project under him! :O
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by LAXative
You need to look in a thesaurus for "stringent" and see if "lunacy" or "all for show" are synonyms.
^
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Yes the increased security after 911 is mostly for show but that's what we the public demanded for after 911. People quickly blamed the lax security for 911 and that's what we gotten. Just like the current Ebola outbreak. The reality is there is no good way to prevent someone who did the proper research and planning from blowing up a plane. In the same way, there is no good way to prevent a possible Ebola carrier from entering the country. I'm sure the TSA has already realized how ineffective the post 911 security theater is, however if they relax things and something happens, the first thing the people & media are going to do is blame TSA / government for relaxing security. Why would TSA take the risk even through it may be the right think to do?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by DIFIN
offer to repack items????? give me a break, I have always had to repack all of the items rummaged out of my carry on
Originally Posted by YKF
They never offer to repack items they leave them spread in the tray or all over the stainless counter, or hanging out of the bag. Never offer to repack instead just moving on to the next panty raid
In the last 10 years of working in my checkpoint, I can count on one hand the number of bags I have not offered to repack after a bag check (and those were not offered because the bag was already repacked). Others may not do it regularly, but I have always done it, always will do it, and any time I train someone or work with others, I do my best to make sure they do the same thing. I am sorry if that has not been the case for you, it is a shame.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I don't know how airports are classified. But I've flown out of both Greensboro and Fargo. Fargo is comparable in size, if not smaller. There's no reason that this couldn't have been as simple as it would be at your airport.
I can not argue with your comments. I would probably have had more questions relating to the research field or reasoning behind the award than what the award was - it is not often that you get a Nobel winner through the checkpoint and their contributions to world society are usually much more important than the movie stars and professional atheletes that come through... usually.

When did you come through GSO? Next time coffee is on me (or at least what Dunkin Donuts calls coffee).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by trini19
When did I say a person was not allowed to express their opinions? Or are you trying to throw "freedom of speech" at me because unlike most posters on this thread, I actually supported the TSA's action in this instance with my "freedom of speech"?

Lots of folks on page 1 of this thread blasted the TSA completely including stating how long it should take for the process of questioning from a TSA agent i.e. 2-3 minutes. READ the article. How long did he say the agent took in questioning him? Oh wait, he didnt state. So it could of been 2-3 minutes. I mean, the length of time it would take for him to be asked and to state the answers he stated and for his bag to be checked would be approximately 2-3 mins. Basically he himself whined about being questioned by the TSA and it sparked this thread. Thats all their is to it IMO. He tried to make fun of the fact that the TSA did not know what the object was on their screening. I also stand by my comment that I do not believe most ppl on here in TSA's shoes would know that the medal would show as pure black in the scanner.

To win a nobel prize I would bet he is smart enough to know he was answering as a smarta$$ to them without explaining what was the "block of gold". And which poster talked about their experience except for repacking their bag?

i did read it very well thank you. Might I suggest you read it and most importantly understand what was written by the posters, subject of the article, and myself.
I am the poster that spoke of doing it in 2-3 minutes tops, and repacking the bag. What may I help you with?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K

HAHA
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
This is just not funny. It really is sad. CRAZY
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by gsoltso
In the last 10 years of working in my checkpoint, I can count on one hand the number of bags I have not offered to repack after a bag check (and those were not offered because the bag was already repacked). Others may not do it regularly, but I have always done it, always will do it, and any time I train someone or work with others, I do my best to make sure they do the same thing. I am sorry if that has not been the case for you, it is a shame.
Sorry, I disagree. I would never want a TSA screener re-packing my bag. In fact the screeners should not unpack the bags for inspection, either. I would much prefer to open my own bag and allow the screener to view whatever is inside rather than have the screener take things out. The more often a screener touches a passenger's bag, the more likely a theft will occur.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Sorry, I disagree. I would never want a TSA screener re-packing my bag. In fact the screeners should not unpack the bags for inspection, either. I would much prefer to open my own bag and allow the screener to view whatever is inside rather than have the screener take things out. The more often a screener touches a passenger's bag, the more likely a theft will occur.
That is the normal procedure, to offer, and if they accept to repack, it should always be a decision by the passenger not the TSO. The previous comment was alluding to times that the bag already being repacked were times where the item was on the outside of the bag or in plain sight and easily cleared without removing anything from the bag.

The only thing I (and by protocol, every other TSO) should be interested in is clearing the item that is identified as a possible threat - and in some rare cases, something idetified as dangerous or illegal while looking for that possible threat item.

TSOs search for the item instead of the passenger pulling it out as a matter of safety (not allowing a passenger with a threat item to use it against the folks in the checkpoint) as well as communication (the TSO knows the shape/design of the item they are looking for). I understand your opinions and wishes on this, as well as your fears of theft, but I do not see what you suggest being a change in process any time soon.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bag Search At LAX

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Me, too. I had a bag check at LAX T-4 two weeks ago. The first thing I required the clerk to do was to change his gloves. He pulled another pair out of his pocket. I said, "Out of the box, pal. What are you trying to pull?" He was clearly annoyed. Then, he pulled out my wallet, which I had put into my carry-on well before the checkpoint. He got further annoyed when I told him to place it where I could see it. He ran it through separately and I followed him all the way back to the x-ray, totally annoying his supervisor clerk when I reminded him that over 500 of "you people" have been fired for theft. When the wallet came out the other side, I made both of them wait while I counted my cash and checked each one of my credit and ATM cards. They never did offer to repack my bag -- not that I would have let them anyway -- and I repacked it right on their sacred exam table and took my sweet time doing it.

A small victory for the People.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
When did you come through GSO? Next time coffee is on me (or at least what Dunkin Donuts calls coffee).
My last visit there was in 2006 ... used to travel to Clemson once a year to grade the AP Computer Science exams. Alas, they've moved the exam scoring session to a bunch of other places since then, and I haven't been back since.

But back on topic ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.