Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Stumped by Nobel Prize

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by YKF
They never offer to repack items they leave them spread in the tray or all over the stainless counter, or hanging out of the bag. Never offer to repack instead just moving on to the next panty raid
That's because if they do, and something doesn't get repacked by accident, they get accused of theft. /shrug

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. And I suspect the questions were more casual in nature, simply because the TSA agents had never seen a Nobel prize in person before. Most people haven't, although they have heard of it. I'd be willing to bet Michael Phelps or other olympians carrying medals around have been asked questions too at various times.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by YKF
They never offer to repack items they leave them spread in the tray or all over the stainless counter, or hanging out of the bag. Never offer to repack instead just moving on to the next panty raid
They offer to repack my items, but I don't let them. Why should I give them two chances to palm something important to me?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Most days in my experience, it has been that simple. Of course, I work at a Cat 2 airport and we are smaller, but... barring anything else to cause concern, this is handled by most TSOs in about 2-3 minutes maximum. Seriously, it is just that simple, all it takes is the will to do things as they are supposed to be done.
I don't know how airports are classified. But I've flown out of both Greensboro and Fargo. Fargo is comparable in size, if not smaller. There's no reason that this couldn't have been as simple as it would be at your airport.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Psst, Brian, there's another Nobel Prize available for proving that the densest objects in the universe are TSA employees...
^^^
outstanding!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
You people have no sense at all.

What did Brian Schmidt get his Nobel Prize for? Determining the rate of expansion of the universe. In itself, that is a useless piece of knowledge -- so clearly he had something else in mind. He obviously saw it as the first step in figuring out how to speed up the expansion.

The Earth is part of the universe, so if the universe expands, so does the Earth. Doesn't it seem suspicious to you that Schmidt wants to expand the planet? What if he manages to do so when planes are flying across the oceans? They won't have enough gasoline to finish the flight and will be dropping out of the sky en masse. He is clearly a threat to aviation.

And, speaking of such threats, I think it was very wise to treat Joe Foss as one. My God! The man admitted to having shot down 26 Japanese planes. How much more of a threat to aviation could he have been?

Let's say that Foss was on an American Airlines flight and saw a JAL plane in the air? With his track record, who is to say that he wouldn't have shot it down, too? (For that matter, he may well have gone after Alitalia and Lufthansa planes as well.)

As far as his having been given the Congressional Medal of Honor is concerned, there is an obvious flaw in his story. He claims to have been awarded it by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, but everyone knows that the President's name is "Barack Obama". Can it really be that all the posters on this thread are so stupid that not one of them caught that lie?

It is a good thing we have the TSA to protect us -- clearly, none of you would be able to spot a terrorist.

Ah security theatre, everyone has to pay and no one gets a good seat or enjoys the show.
Thank you Dovster. LOL
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
From his article "no one had seen a gold object before show black as it absorbs all of the x-rays".

No one here stated they knew beforehand how gold looks when screened.

From the article, seems as if TSA asked all the right questions and didnt make a lot of fuss as I didn't see that it said he got held back or put into a separate room for questioning etc.

What I did see was someone who spoke about the event afterward in a DYKWIA or don't you know what this is manner.

Also see lots of ppl criticize TSA on here for doing their job, yet I am sure rather have them doing security than no one at all.

Who are the nimwits? LOL
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trini19
From his article "no one had seen a gold object before show black as it absorbs all of the x-rays".

No one here stated they knew beforehand how gold looks when screened.

From the article, seems as if TSA asked all the right questions and didnt make a lot of fuss as I didn't see that it said he got held back or put into a separate room for questioning etc.

What I did see was someone who spoke about the event afterward in a DYKWIA or don't you know what this is manner.

Also see lots of ppl criticize TSA on here for doing their job, yet I am sure rather have them doing security than no one at all.

Who are the nimwits? LOL

Respectfully disagree. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

However, you might want to visit a couple of those countries that understand the concept of security. It is hardly rummaging through personal items, touching pax who are high-end FFs, or having them remove shoes.

I think the idea of the TSA is good. I am not so sure that the actual deployment and quality of agents is what we all expect from a group that is trying to protect us.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 24left
Respectfully disagree. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

However, you might want to visit a couple of those countries that understand the concept of security. It is hardly rummaging through personal items, touching pax who are high-end FFs, or having them remove shoes.

I think the idea of the TSA is good. I am not so sure that the actual deployment and quality of agents is what we all expect from a group that is trying to protect us.
I have visited a lot of countries that do security a bit different. I remember a few months ago in Sydney airport I asked if I need to remove my shoes to which the agent replied "No we have more common sense than TSA". He then apologized right away thinking he offended me but he didnt. I did think right away though, yes the US has more stringent security (releasing the reigns now with Pre check) but when last or first did ppl fly planes into your buildings?

In Frankfurt I was amazed that they opened the gates and there was no boarding groups lined up or checkng of BP's. Can someone slip on easily that way? Most certainly can IMO.

Mexico has such low confidence in their own security they tie zip ties to carry on's but thats more for drugs.

Yes all countries do things differently and the US makes you take off shoes (like parts of Europe) but do I like the TSA for the work they do? Certainly. As long as they keep the shoe and underwear bombs off my plane (and any other detrimental device) then I have no issues with them whatsoever.

Folks whining (expressing their opinion) here negatively about TSA is like when someone complains about the cops but as soon as they hear their window break at night they are calling 911 faster than they call their best friends.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trini19
I have visited a lot of countries that do security a bit different. I remember a few months ago in Sydney airport I asked if I need to remove my shoes to which the agent replied "No we have more common sense than TSA". He then apologized right away thinking he offended me but he didnt. I did think right away though, yes the US has more stringent security (releasing the reigns now with Pre check) but when last or first did ppl fly planes into your buildings?

In Frankfurt I was amazed that they opened the gates and there was no boarding groups lined up or checkng of BP's. Can someone slip on easily that way? Most certainly can IMO.

Mexico has such low confidence in their own security they tie zip ties to carry on's but thats more for drugs.

Yes all countries do things differently and the US makes you take off shoes (like parts of Europe) but do I like the TSA for the work they do? Certainly. As long as they keep the shoe and underwear bombs off my plane (and any other detrimental device) then I have no issues with them whatsoever.

Folks whining (expressing their opinion) here negatively about TSA is like when someone complains about the cops but as soon as they hear their window break at night they are calling 911 faster than they call their best friends.

FYI, whining, expressing opinions, complaining... are all freedom of speech.

No one is disagreeing with the importance of the TSA.
We just all have different opinions of their efficiency or effectiveness based on our own experiences and travels.

Might I suggest you start at the top of the thread and see the evolution of comments. Funny, sarcastic, critical etc and all examples of our great democracies at work.

Thank you.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Crap. I'm going to be in trouble tomorrow when I travel with my Nobel Prize.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Oct 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm Reason: I spelled Nobel wrong. I didn't say my prize was in spelling.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Crap. I'm going to be in trouble tomorrow when I travel with my Noble Prize.

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:57 pm

When was Fargo moved to Nebraska?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by riddlerandy
Was someone "keyboard challenged", NE vs ND?

Correction: Maybe his grandmother is in Nebraska where as he had landed in Fargo

Last edited by 24left; Oct 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by riddlerandy
He has relatives in Nebraska and the Dakotas, including in the Dakota where the more well known Fargo is located.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I'm honestly beginning to think that the TSA intentionally seeks out the stupidest human beings on the planet and places them in the security lines at airports around the nation. Random chance cannot explain it. You have to actually try to achieve this level incompetence.
Flew out of ATL on Friday, Domestic South Terminal Pre-Check lane.

Bags went thru the scanner but smurfette too busy talking to her friends to run the belt long enough for the bags to emerge from the tunnel as well as get past the glass partition so I could reach them w/o having to literally climb up on the rollers. Finally made enough noise trying to get my bags for her to turn around to see what was going on-told her I couldn't reach. Her comment was 'well I can't reach them either'-of course, once she hauled herself (her large self) out of her chair she could reach just fine.

Cut to the Admiral's Club & I'm telling the AAngel(s) checking me in what had just transpired. AAngel at the other end of the counter just starts laughing but AAngel checking me in, who is clearly not from the US originally from her accent (I'd guess Northern Europe somewhere) says, 'I don't understand why you Americans put up with this...is the rest of your country like this?

At which point I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.