Wiki Posts
Search

FA suit over PAX with electronics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
FA suit over PAX with electronics

Had not hear anything about this suit until now, seems FA think that allowing electronics out during take off / landing is dangerous.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...union.html.csp
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL GE
Power Trip - FA union wants you to stow your electonics..

The union says the devices can distract passengers from safety announcements and become dangerous projectiles. The union also says that in letting passengers keep the devices out, the Federal Aviation Administration changed an agency regulation without steps required by law.
http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/o...w-electronics/

I always wondered if this bothered FAs since they can no longer tell people to turn off their electronics. To me, it always seemed like they enjoyed this part of their job.

Although I find it odd, even before I could listen to musics below 10k feet, I never was told to physically put my device away. I don't understand the difference.

Maybe this was symbolic of their power and they want this one thing back..
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by pragakhan
http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/o...w-electronics/
Maybe this was symbolic of their power and they want this one thing back..
Or maybe they just, you know, want people to pay attention to the safety briefings.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
From now on all dangerous projectiles will be stored. No dinner rolls with meals!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by allbrosca
From now on all dangerous projectiles will be stored. No dinner rolls with meals!
No lap kids.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by LTBoston
Or maybe they just, you know, want people to pay attention to the safety briefings.
except that the rules have always allowed them to keep talking into the dictaphone while using their electric shaver... probably just as distracting to the person, and more distracting to everyone else
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by LTBoston
I don't think that is it, I think they just want to be able to tell people to turn them off. I think it is psychological.

I never paid attention before, left my ear-buds or headphones on irregardless of what they where saying. Others wear ear plugs.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:35 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
There's at least one current thread on this in the more apt travel security family of forums, (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...ectronics.html) and I'll move this thread there as well. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I don't think that is it, I think they just want to be able to tell people to turn them off. I think it is psychological.

And I think this is just self-centered bushwa. I used to hear similar crap when I was a LEO and made a speeding stop. It was always about my personal power trip, never about the safety of the traveling public.

I never paid attention before, left my ear-buds or headphones on irregardless of what they where saying. Others wear ear plugs.

Which, of course, makes you part of the problem.
Come on people, is it really that hard to give 3 minutes of attention before burying yourself back into your own little electronic world?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I always wondered if this bothered FAs since they can no longer tell people to turn off their electronics. To me, it always seemed like they enjoyed this part of their job.
I agree.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Come on people, is it really that hard to give 3 minutes of attention before burying yourself back into your own little electronic world?
The thing is most of us have been up many times, there's nothing new in the safety briefing. That's why we keep on with what we are doing when it comes on.

One should not talk, though, so as to not interfere with the few people that actually do need it.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I'm going with the "power trip" theory - either the FAs themselves or maybe the union itself trying to make some sort of point.

By way of comparison, Qantas and Virgin Australia started allowing the use of small electronics (laptops still have to be stowed) during takeoff and landing in late August.

I've had about 10 flights since then - including one a day or so after the new policy - and haven't noticed any attitude or resistance on the part of the FAs. They've just changed the announcement appropriately, and they don't interfere with passengers who are complying with the new rules.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:11 pm

And I think this is just self-centered bushwa. I used to hear similar crap when I was a LEO and made a speeding stop. It was always about my personal power trip, never about the safety of the traveling public.
You are biased to this situation.

Which, of course, makes you part of the problem.
I think you mis-understood, I don't think there is currently a problem.

Yes? Is that the answer you where looking for?

Have you flown recently? When ever is it only ever 3 minutes? Even the safety videos have turned into 10 minutes of trying to hard at comedy.

I think FAs have a need to gain a submissive edge over the pax on the plane in the same way you might have said "keep your hands on the wheel". Exerting command authority to gauge a reaction. FAs at that point could either diffuse situations with trouble makers, or make examples out of them.

They lost this option and seat belts do not work, most pax want that false sense of security.

I don't think it is all FAs of course, but there are some I have met where I could see this being an issue for them.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
...Exerting command authority to gauge a reaction. ...
Command authority? Those who actually have and use command authority do not "exert" it to gauge a reaction. They do so to take command of a situation.

Doesn't matter. Your mind is made up. Your desires are more important than anything anyone else might do or say.

Have a nice life.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:35 am
YKF

They enjoy saying no for anything and want a reason back to say it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.