New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
Not just delayed to 2017. Delayed till end of 2017.
That may still be a target on the move.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:40 pm

Ah, that's too bad.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:21 am

Question New US passport design

Simple question but is there a new design for the US passport or its still the '06 biometric? I was reading some articles and there was a new design that was supposed to come out this summer.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My new passport has a harder cover than the old one.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I was literally just going to post this question. I read a lot of articles in the Spring in regards to new passport design and updated security features, but I haven't seen anything in months. Most of the articles mentioned a July release date, but that obviously didn't happen. I'm renewing later this year, so I was hoping for the new version if I'm going to be traveling with it for the next 10 years.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Check the most recent part of this thread: New, "more secure" version of US passport coming in 2016?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 2, 2016 at 5:30 pm Reason: Circular link removed after threads were merged
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This. I never realized how flexible my old passport was. The old one was soft enough to be worn in a silk under-clothing waist pouch. The new one is too stiff to be comfortable, and I'm concerned that bending it will damage it somehow.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by chollie
This. I never realized how flexible my old passport was. The old one was soft enough to be worn in a silk under-clothing waist pouch. The new one is too stiff to be comfortable, and I'm concerned that bending it will damage it somehow.
Were your previous passports pre-2006?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by maortega15
Were your previous passports pre-2006?
Yup.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by maortega15
Simple question but is there a new design for the US passport or its still the '06 biometric? I was reading some articles and there was a new design that was supposed to come out this summer.
Originally Posted by jtmann05
I was literally just going to post this question. I read a lot of articles in the Spring in regards to new passport design and updated security features, but I haven't seen anything in months. Most of the articles mentioned a July release date, but that obviously didn't happen. I'm renewing later this year, so I was hoping for the new version if I'm going to be traveling with it for the next 10 years.
The '06 vintage passport is still the current version being issued. There is a new design coming out but it seems that its release has been delayed until the end f 2017. A few posts up from here there is a link to a State Department tweet that contains this info. In answer to this question it states this:
Code:
...No, we've added additional security
features and the new passport is slated for
release end of 2017...
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

State is preparing to also prohibit the wearing of glasses in passport photos.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
I wear a hard-ish cover passport (post-06) in a waist pouch without any damage. Never been a problem. I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
State is preparing to also prohibit the wearing of glasses in passport photos.
This is a good idea. A bit morbid, but practical, if the tourist is in a traffic accident or terrorist attack, they will end up in the hospital or morgue without their glasses. The passport photo is what the foreign police will use to ID the wounded/dead tourist. Your passport photo should look like a dead you on the slab. Your family will be grateful.

Bonus: You will always look exactly like your passport photo to the customs man after you pour off a 12 hour TPAC flight in Y.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
This is a good idea. A bit morbid, but practical, if the tourist is in a traffic accident or terrorist attack, they will end up in the hospital or morgue without their glasses. The passport photo is what the foreign police will use to ID the wounded/dead tourist. Your passport photo should look like a dead you on the slab. Your family will be grateful.
That is not the reason we are going to do this. Manual positive and negative matching of faces of live or dead people against photos with non-shade glasses in the passport photo has worked ok for such people too relative to people without glasses. It's the computers/FRT that have more problems with photographs of people wearing glasses relative to those not wearing glasses.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

New passport photo rules go into place on November 1st. If you want your passport to have your photo in the same way you've been doing so before, then this may be the time to renew/apply.

Those most obviously impacted by the new passport photo rule? People wearing glasses in photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.