Wiki Posts
Search

US pre-clearance in German airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do those who renounce Irish citizenship lose the right to later claim Irish citizenship thru say a grandparent?
(5) A person born in the island of Ireland who has made a declaration of alienage under section 21 shall remain entitled to be an Irish citizen, but shall not be an Irish citizen unless, in the prescribed manner, that person declares that he or she is an Irish citizen; and such person shall be an Irish citizen from the date of the declaration.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
My point was that Ireland/Abu Dhabi and Canada do not have many passengers that are connecting to the pre-clearance station.
Dublin hasn't typically been a hub for connecting passengers, but Aer Lingus has seen huge increases in its transatlantic numbers, running about 20% above last year's figures, helped by new services and frequencies.

Originally Posted by The Irish Times
About one third of passengers on Aer Lingus’ North American flights are now connecting from Britain or the continent.
It had been hoped that DUB would be able to attract new airlines to take advantage of the preclearance facilities, but so far, this has not panned out. Air India were looking into moving their European hub from FRA to DUB but this didn't happen. ET earlier this year applied for permission to operate ADD-DUB-LAX but the application is still being looked at.

This talk of having a 3-hour MCT just for the US flights is really rather ridiculous. All US-bound luggage is screened thoroughly as it is. If US authorities take an interest in you, it's quite likely that you won't be travelling. If the US authorities take an interest in your bag, then you will be pulled from the line when you confirm the photograph of your bag associated with your boarding pass and brought to secondary. And you will most likely miss your flight, as is currently the case anyway, as the airlines will not wait for you should you get pulled for secondary inspections and which are not completed in time to allow you to travel.

Anytime you fly in, through, or from, the US, they can inspect your bag at any time, without your presence or consent. This wouldn't require increasing MCTs at airport with preclearance - it just means that those who get "stuck" won't be travelling on their scheduled service, if at all.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:54 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Anytime you fly in, through, or from, the US, they can inspect your bag at any time, without your presence or consent. This wouldn't require increasing MCTs at airport with preclearance - it just means that those who get "stuck" won't be travelling on their scheduled service, if at all.
Another reason not to have pre-clearance then. I'd rather be delayed a few hours at the point of entry, where connecting flights are usually available every few hours, than have to come back to the airport the next day because there's only one flight per day.

HTB.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the proportion of US-bound, non-CTA-to-non-CTA transiting passengers happening to need a U.S. visa skyrockets (vis-a-vis the U.S.-bound, non-CTA-to-non-CTA transiting passengers) at DUB, the delays at DUB for such PreClearance flights will jump up. The delays will also rise as the proportion of checked bags to passengers rise. Combined, these two things will increase variances in processing times, and that increase in processing times and in variance is what will guide the big upward revision in MCT times for at least some itineraries via the CBP PreClearance airport.

And what will happen with EC261/2004 claims when the passengers claim that they were left behind at DUB because the airline didn't pad enough time for CBP processing of the individual or whatever and left without them at DUB?

If US authorities take an interest in you or your bag, it's still probable that you will be flying on the scheduled flight. That is how it is today too.

By the way, just because a flight has been PreCleared in some form or another by CBP outside the U.S. doesn't exclude the CBP from requiring passengers and/or baggage to go through inspection on arrival in the US as well. It will happen from time to time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 19, 2014 at 7:58 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, just because a flight has been PreCleared in some form or another by CBP outside the U.S. doesn't exclude the CBP from requiring passengers and/or baggage to go through inspection on arrival in the US as well. It will happen from time to time.
How often does this actually happen?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
How often does this actually happen?
I don't know; I do know it's been enough for some to know about it but not enough for most to know it has happened. I've never seen any stats on its frequency; but it has come up in contexts where it was quite clear it has been done repeatedly and is a tool to be used at least from time to time for some operations.

Beside that, I do know that even for something like some Ag inspections, they've sometimes done screening on arrival in the US despite the flight having been loaded from a pre-clearance airport. Far from common, very far from it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 19, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by t325
It's not reciprocal, I doubt the US would ever allow another country to preclear at US arports.
It is reciprocal at least with Canada. Except that Canada chose not to build any pre-clearance facility at a US airport yet (probably never will). As for other countries wanting it, I guess they just wanted their airports to become bigger hubs.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by König
It is reciprocal at least with Canada. Except that Canada chose not to build any pre-clearance facility at a US airport yet (probably never will).
It really is not that simple.

While the legal agreements relevant to CBP PreClearance ops in Canada are structured with host and inspecting party language that makes it appear to many to be reciprocal in nature, it is -- de facto and de jure -- not fully reciprocal as there are clauses which mean that: what the US may be able to do in Canada is not the same thing that Canada may do in the US; and what Canada may have been able to do in the US is not the same thing that the US may do in Canada. I'm not about to do an exegesis on matters in this area, but they are not completely reciprocal.

Canada cannot choose whether or not to have PreClearance at US airports wherever and whenever it wants; Canada has to be invited by a U.S. airport to even have a chance to do this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 19, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT

Canada cannot choose whether or not to have PreClearance at US airports wherever and whenever it wants; Canada has to be invited by a U.S. airport to even have a chance to do this.
+1 of course with a blessing from the CBP
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Another reason not to have pre-clearance then. I'd rather be delayed a few hours at the point of entry, where connecting flights are usually available every few hours, than have to come back to the airport the next day because there's only one flight per day.

HTB.
More typically I am flying directly to my destination when traveling to the U.S.A., so when I get harassed by CBP there the worst that happens is that I just take a later taxi. CBP already misuses it's authority (hence all the lawsuits); once they have the ability to try to pressure you into "co-operating" (i.e., capitulating) by threatening to hold you just long enough to miss your flight, they won't hesitate to abuse that authority as well.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
It's not just security re access to checked luggage.

Preclearance also involves customs so I guess they do random (or otherwise) inspections of checked luggage for "contraband". Thus, they need to be able to pull the bag for inspection and that means a much longer MCT.

So in response to Irishguy's comments, a random customs inspection means that the passenger "deserves" to miss his flight?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Apparently a new announcement on preclearance... from a CBP Press Release on 9/22:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Acting Deputy Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan addressed the World Routes Strategy Summit in Chicago regarding Preclearance Expansion.

“CBP’s preclearance operations are an important step in the U.S. government’s effort to prevent terrorism from coming to our borders.” said Acting Deputy Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan. “Where we can identify foreign airports willing to partner with us, additional preclearance agreements will further protect the safety and security of our citizens while also streamlining legitimate travel and commerce.”

CBP will administer a process to evaluate and prioritize an initial set of potential preclearance locations. Foreign airport authorities that are interested in initiating the process to establish preclearance operations at their location are encouraged to submit a letter detailing their interest to CBP. CBP will work with foreign airport authorities, host governments, and domestic and foreign air carriers to consider opportunities for expansion. From initial interest to implementation, the process can take up to three years.

Through preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States are instead completed before departure at foreign airports. Currently, preclearance operations exist at 15 foreign airports in six different countries, benefitting air passengers, airports, and air carriers, in the United States and abroad.

The Summit is attended by about 3,000 people from the airline industry including airlines, airports, and tourism authorities from around the world. The event brings together CEO’s and Senior Leaders from across the route development and aviation industries to participate in several discussions focused on the aviation industry.
http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national...nsion-industry

There is a link at the bottom that links to a longer "preclearance expansion guidance" document. Links here: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...nce_092014.pdf
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OhioExile
Apparently a new announcement on preclearance... from a CBP Press Release on 9/22:

There is a link at the bottom that links to a longer "preclearance expansion guidance" document. Links here: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...nce_092014.pdf
Thanks for putting that up here. I had read that PDF early last week but didn't get around to posting about that in here because there were some items in there that I needed more time to criticize.

They have something to sell, and I am not a captive audience buying into this expansion as a great thing for me during my trips back to the US.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by OhioExile

It seems CBP is quite serious about setting pre-clearance facilities in different parts in europe.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
It seems CBP is quite serious about setting pre-clearance facilities in different parts in europe.
The question is whether the Europeans are interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.