Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
Would this work?

Yes
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ice is a solid and water is a liquid. If the rule is no liquids, then ice should be allowed. This just shows how silly the no liquids rule can be unless one can accurately claim that any liquid substance that might be a threat is rendered harmless as soon as it is frozen and remains harmless after melting occurs.
I brought a bottle of frozen water on board this past January and the TSA agent just shook my bottle and determined it was frozen solid and let me on my way to the gate. That's what I get for leaving a bottle sitting out in my car this past winter.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ice is a solid and water is a liquid. If the rule is no liquids, then ice should be allowed. This just shows how silly the no liquids rule can be unless one can accurately claim that any liquid substance that might be a threat is rendered harmless as soon as it is frozen and remains harmless after melting occurs.
Whatever the compound they are worrying about doesn't freeze the same as water.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK all liquids can be frozen, but not all at the same temperature (or temperature as a function of pressure). There's nothing about a substance being potentially hazardous, whatever that means, that would prevent its freezing under appropriate conditions.
1) Nitpick: Helium has no solid state.

2) That doesn't mean it freezes the same as water.
2a) Nitpick: Some explosives can't be frozen. The only ones I've heard about make nitrogen tri-iodide seem stable by comparison, though.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Super-nitpick: yes it does — though at ~1-1.5° K, which is extremely unlikely to occur stably in baggage.

2a) Nitpick: Some explosives can't be frozen. The only ones I've heard about make nitrogen tri-iodide seem stable by comparison, though.
The number of stupendously dangerous items that pass TSA's screening criteria (and would not be detectable as 'explosives') is very, very large.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) That doesn't mean it freezes the same as water.
Originally Posted by saizai
Super-nitpick: yes it does — though at ~1-1.5° K, which is extremely unlikely to occur stably in baggage.

The number of stupendously dangerous items that pass TSA's screening criteria (and would not be detectable as 'explosives') is very, very large.
We can't forget about slush hydrogen. NASA (might have been DARPA?) was playing around with a hypersonic space plane that circulated slush hydrogen in the leading edges of the wings for cooling during ascent and reentry. Anybody remember more than i do about it?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Right before they enforced the "no liquids" rule, I encountered a TSA agent who asked me to take 2 big sips of my water in front of him. Wouldn't this suffice for any suspicious liquids going through?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Dihydrogen Monoxide is very dangerous http://www.dhmo.org/
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I learned something new. You're missing the key parameter, though: 2.5 megapascals of pressure. It has no solid state at normal pressures.

You could get that kind of temperature in baggage (a well insulated container that permitted boil-off to keep it cool) but you're not allowed containers at that kind of pressure.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Right before they enforced the "no liquids" rule, I encountered a TSA agent who asked me to take 2 big sips of my water in front of him. Wouldn't this suffice for any suspicious liquids going through?
I've had a security guy in China do the same requirement and I've heard of the TSA using it in the past.

For water, it's fine. For sterile containers it's not fine. For medicines it's not fine.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
There used to be a whole thread about this sort of thing over in the checkpoints forum. If I remember correctly, there were discussions about people freezing different items trying to test the theory. I believe there was frozen shampoo and other items.....

ETA,

I found it..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...periences.html
I tried the shampoo thing a few months ago after reading that thread. The clerk said she had to go through my bag because there was a water bottle in there. I told her there wasnot. She said, "yes sir, there is." She opened the bag up, pulled out the frozen shampoo, and I stood there with a grin. She was very confused, and had to get a two-striper to inform her that shampoo was fine if it was frozen.

Might be time to do this again...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:25 pm

Well, I learned something new. You're missing the key parameter, though: 2.5 megapascals of pressure. It has no solid state at normal pressures.

You could get that kind of temperature in baggage (a well insulated container that permitted boil-off to keep it cool) but you're not allowed containers at that kind of pressure.
Touché.

Counterpoint: rubidium. Very stable under STP … so long as you keep it far, far away from any water.

(Dear government: I am obviously not advocating that someone actually use alkalai metals outside of safe and controlled testing environments, nor would I touch the stuff myself. Also, please make sure your ETD machines can test for the stuff, 'cause it actually is both tiny and extremely dangerous.)
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE

I don't see anything that prohibits that kind of pressure on the TSA website. I see that compressed gas cylinders are prohibited though. If the compressed cylinder contains a solid, it should be allowed!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howste
I don't see anything that prohibits that kind of pressure on the TSA website. I see that compressed gas cylinders are prohibited though. If the compressed cylinder contains a solid, it should be allowed!
And there's no boil-off??
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Touché.

Counterpoint: rubidium. Very stable under STP … so long as you keep it far, far away from any water.

(Dear government: I am obviously not advocating that someone actually use alkalai metals outside of safe and controlled testing environments, nor would I touch the stuff myself. Also, please make sure your ETD machines can test for the stuff, 'cause it actually is both tiny and extremely dangerous.)
Cesium makes a bigger bang and it's cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.