Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Huge fee increase to renounce US citizenship: $2,350 (up from $450)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge fee increase to renounce US citizenship: $2,350 (up from $450)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I've just never had to give my SSN number as you've indicated. They all know I'm a U.S. citizen.
That's a new thing staring from July 1st... before that banks had no use for that information, now they will use it to do their reporting (somewhere in 2015 at the earliest).
But their reporting has nothing to do with your obligation to file your return, just don't forget to include those accounts this year :-).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by RTW1
just don't forget to include those accounts this year :-).
You apparently didn't digest my previous post. I am and have been FATCA compliant.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And neither did you.... you always needed to file your tax return.

FATCA only impacts financial institutions, your obligation remain as they always were only now FI's might ask you your TIN because THEY need to do some reporting.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

FATCA only impacts financial institutions, your obligation remain as they always were only now FI's might ask you your TIN because THEY need to do some reporting.
FATCA impacts me in that I need to attach the proper paperwork to my 1040 form to be compliant with U.S. tax law. Because I do that, I am compliant. For one who seems to know so much about this topic, that should be obvious. Now you state that FI's "might" ask for my TIN. You stated before that

if an FI has a reason to know that you are a US-person they will require you to provide your TIN and will report you
That sounds like a lot more than "might".
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The "might" has to do with you being an existing client where your bank might (or might not, up to them) use the $50k threshold to review their clients.

And as far as I know FATCA hasn't brought any new filing requirements for you as a US-person. The 1040/FBAR requirement was already there. Only now some people are beginning to notice.

So, you being complaint with US tax laws and your bank(s) being complaint with FATCA/IGA's are two different things.

But to get back on topic, you can always renounce your citizenship for a "small" fee and some additional account costs. And if you think that will bring relief, think again.... in a few years those banks in Scandinavia will also require you to provide tax numbers for (all) your fiscal residencies.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

The "might" has to do with you being an existing client where your bank might (or might not, up to them) use the $50k threshold to review their clients.

And as far as I know FATCA hasn't brought any new filing requirements for you as a US-person. The 1040/FBAR requirement was already there. Only now some people are beginning to notice.

So, you being complaint with US tax laws and your bank(s) being complaint with FATCA/IGA's are two different things.

But to get back on topic, you can always renounce your citizenship for a "small" fee and some additional account costs. And if you think that will bring relief, think again.... in a few years those banks in Scandinavia will also require you to provide tax numbers for (all) your fiscal residencies.
As I also stated in a previous post, I have been compliant with FBAR through my filing of FinCEN form 114 (filed separately from the 1040 form) when my accounts were $10,000 or more. FATCA impacts accounts with $50,000 or more (aggregate) and the proper paperwork in this case is filed with the 1040 form, and yes, this was a new requirement.

It's condescending comments like this that set me off, if you're wondering:

But their reporting has nothing to do with your obligation to file your return, just don't forget to include those accounts this year :-).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I wasn't wondering.... and you must have missed the smiley.
Better read up on the $50k threshold though. That's an (optional) threshold to be applied by banks, and just for reviewing/accepting clients. Nothing to do with what's reported and nothing to do with your filing requirements as an individual.

But enough said.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's simplifying things a bit..... Banks really don't have a choice, it's either their government that signs an IGA (in which some of the FATCA burdens are decreased) or it's complying with the full FATCA regulations. Nobody can afford to be non-compliant.

So take it up with the Treasury Dept, they are responsible for US tax laws and taxation based on citizenship. In the mean time just file your tax return, as painfull as that process can be.....(and how unjustified you might find having to go through it when there won't any tax to pay).
Banks don't have citizens or dual-citizens, they have customers. I was talking about governments:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When it comes to their own citizens (and dual-citizens are their own citizens), foreign governments shouldn't help the US to engage in national-origin-based discrimination against their own citizens. And yet the big 3 Scandinavian countries' governments have decided to be "more loyal to the king than the king" and do the US Government's business with essentially no real, material hesitation to surrender whatever the US wants on matters of information or even other more seedy things (like sending people to get tortured abroad or to set-up their own persons in US entrapment operations). People may not know or care what has gone on, but that doesn't change history.
These European governments have decided to be more dedicated to the US than to their own citizens or residents who also happen to be citizens of the US, and they are not prohibiting national origin-based discrimination which is the result of this kind of US pursuit. [US citizens abroad must be thinking if their country is (or, if a dual-citizen, their countries are) run by self-hating types and/or those who have an emotional, visceral hostility to their fellow citizens with a material foreign connection.]

Selling out the "small people" -- especially populations that are small minorities -- is easy for governments and companies; and they are doing it by not waging a pitched battle over US extraterritorial grabs via FATCA. Instead they want in on the game, and getting into (or staying in) sort of the same game is their long-hope.

Taking up the matter with Treasury is pointless. Congress in the US can repeal the law. The POTUS can refuse to act upon the law while claiming it abridges the constitutional, foreign powers of the Presidency. European governments can create a coalition of opponents to these kind of extraterritorial efforts by the US and prohibit cooperation that relies upon or fosters a climate of discrimination based on perceived national origin. The problem is that countries and financial institutions are in the main willing surrender monkeys in the face of the US because their material interests trump any sense of moral fiber on these matters.

People outside of the US pursuing renunciation of US citizenship are generally in compliance with US laws/regulations as much or more than their fellow citizens in the US.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't know the circumstances of the FTers in this thread to know for sure that your claim is correct or incorrect.

I know for sure that there isn't always a requirement for US citizens to file with the IRS. Lots of US citizens -- mostly younger minors but even some adults -- don't need to file and don't need to be included on a US tax filing; this is in large part because such US citizens have such low (or no) earned income and such very, very little or no unearned income that the tax filing requirement doesn't get triggered. This paragraph is as applicable to US citizens in the US as to US citizens outside of the US.

Whether or not a US person owes tax or not, the tax filing and other reporting requirements remain what they are and is due from or on behalf of most adult US citizens.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 31, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:23 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I find this increase in fees to renounce US citizenship outrageous! They say the reason is because of the increase in the number of people renouncing citizenship. The increase in the number of people renouncing citizenship is because of FATCA and people with dual citizenship, mainly by birth, or non-US citizens who have married US citizens but still live outside the US were caught up in this onerous reporting. This increase in fees significantly impacts the little guy (I am one) but is just a drop in the bucket to ska-billionaires.

Note to FredAnderssen: You may be asked by your bank to provide your SS# the next time you pop into your bank to make a transaction. That is what happened to me last week when I went to get a new ATM card.

And, BTW, like FredAnderssen, I have complied and continue to comply with all IRS reporting requirements, FBAR and FATCA since I have been an expat.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This thread reminds me of a remark made by a friend of mine who was liberated from an unhappy marriage.

"Do you know why divorce is expensive? Because it is worth it!"
lol
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:07 pm

Some banks and other financial institutions in the UK are closing accounts of US citizens as it's too expensive to be compliant with US law - especially when UK & EU law may contradict the requirements.

It's the financial version of the TSA - non-US folk avoiding contact with the US if they can avoid it.

There are also reports of people who didn't know they were US citizens - either born in the US to non-US parents or outside the US with one US parent - being affected by this.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Yes. in general, FATCA creates a significant administrative burden on banks all over the world and has also resulted in many banks deciding no new US-person accounts and they will deal with the existing client base reducing over time.

Now the US has increased the fee from $1XX to $450 in 2008 and now $2.400! I have a feeling though that it will be struck down as being a financial burden that now discriminates against low-income. Can you imagine an educators family of 4 deciding to give up their nationality after 20 years abroad? To the tune of $9.600!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The Canadian government knuckled under to the Americans and are ratting out Canadians who unfortunately also have U.S. citizenship.

I am grateful my grandparents settled a mile north of the St. Mary's river than a mile south.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:40 pm
YKF

What a scam. There is no excuse for racing the price this much other then greed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.