Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Secondary BP Check

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
IAD Secondary BP Check

TSA at IAD is "testing" an additional look at boarding passes right before passing through the x-ray and scanners (right after the ID check). What's the point of this additional check? Is the TSA afraid passengers are sneaking around the ID checks?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane
TSA at IAD is "testing" an additional look at boarding passes right before passing through the x-ray and scanners (right after the ID check). What's the point of this additional check? Is the TSA afraid passengers are sneaking around the ID checks?
From time to time, I've seen supervisory clerks right behind the ID checkers doing a second ID check 5' from the first checkers. A while back, when I asked one of them why he needed to look at the same BP less than 10 feet away from the previous check, he got quite annoyed with me.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Completely inane, but better than Heathrow. Last time through there I had the BP & ID checked five times in the space of 20 feet. They get reeeeally snotty with you when you laugh at their stupid games.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They used to do it all the time a few years ago. They have probably reinstated it because they need to keep their staff busy.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:34 pm

We've seen plenty of reports here of passengers who pass through the TDC station with the wrong ID, a boarding pass that doesn't match the ID, a boarding pass for the wrong day ... heck, we've seen people get through without showing any ID or boarding pass at all. I suspect that the second check is mostly to verify that the first check was performed correctly.

Whether or not that is a useful expenditure of funds is ... well, a matter of some debate. (Lemme get my popcorn ...)
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
They have probably reinstated it because they need to keep their staff busy.
They probably couldn't get a shift at McDonalds that day, so they gave them something stupid to do.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
We've seen plenty of reports here of passengers who pass through the TDC station with the wrong ID, a boarding pass that doesn't match the ID, a boarding pass for the wrong day ... heck, we've seen people get through without showing any ID or boarding pass at all. I suspect that the second check is mostly to verify that the first check was performed correctly.

Whether or not that is a useful expenditure of funds is ... well, a matter of some debate. (Lemme get my popcorn ...)
Whether or not they manage to pass through the security checkpoint without proper ID really doesn't matter to me, as long as they don't get through with an explosive.

Have you ever seen pictures of assembly lines at Foxconn where they assemble iPhones and iPads or an assembly line at a car factory? These people have one job to do and they seem to manage to do it right. How hard could it be to check an ID at security and get it right without having a second or third check in place? Could you imagine Ford having three checkers for every nut and bolt being put into an automobile?

Considering the failure rate of the x-ray people, it would seem to me that if they really cared about security and not justifying keeping the extra manpower on hand, the TSA would run all carry-on luggage through the x-ray machines twice, with a different security person in charge of the second scan.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
While this may be new @ IAD, this is nothing new for the TSA. I had to fly out of EWR monthly for 18 mos & it happened every time.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:11 am

This is the price passengers are paying because screeners at SFO let a woman get through without a ticket/BP/ID.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is the price passengers are paying because screeners at SFO let a woman get through without a ticket/BP/ID.
No, it's the price we pay for being sheep and allowing the travesty of TSA and DHS forced upon us when neither were needed.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:25 pm

No, it's the price we pay for being sheep and allowing the travesty of TSA and DHS forced upon us when neither were needed.
Completely agree.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Considering the failure rate of the x-ray people, it would seem to me that if they really cared about security and not justifying keeping the extra manpower on hand, the TSA would run all carry-on luggage through the x-ray machines twice, with a different security person in charge of the second scan.
If they really cared about security they would have an entirely different screening system.

For xray you want remote viewing of contents where the screeners see multiple, randomized screen shots from multiple belts, and can pick out bags/items for follow up. Nice, quiet room away from the screening area itself where they can concentrate, have no idea what bag they're screening in terms of the pax in the screening area or if another screener has already passed it, where they work no more than 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. The vast majority of screening should be done by automated object recognition systems where human screeners only view stuff the automated system flags along with a random number of live bags and some system input target object bags to "keep them awake" and check performance.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
They used to do it all the time a few years ago. They have probably reinstated it because they need to keep their staff busy.
This. Once you stop viewing TSA as security and start understanding it as a jobs program for the otherwise unemployable, a lot of this makes more sense.
We've seen plenty of reports here of passengers who pass through the TDC station with the wrong ID, a boarding pass that doesn't match the ID, a boarding pass for the wrong day ... heck, we've seen people get through without showing any ID or boarding pass at all.
And how many of those people with the wrong ID, the non-matching ID, the wrong-day BP or the lack of ID turned out to be a danger to the aircraft? Do you know how hard it is to use "the wrong ID" to blow up a plane?
I suspect that the second check is mostly to verify that the first check was performed correctly.
If it's that important, two checks is not enough. We need a panel of TDCs to vote on the validity of each ID:

Last edited by RadioGirl; Aug 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
And how many of those people with the wrong ID, the non-matching ID, the wrong-day BP or the lack of ID turned out to be a danger to the aircraft? Do you know how hard it is to use "the wrong ID" to blow up a plane?
Don't get me wrong ... I agree with you on the general futility of ID checking as a security measure. I'm just trying to offer a reason why TSA would decide to check IDs/BPs twice, given that they've already decided that they need to check them at all.

Yes, I enjoy trying to explain the unexplainable ... why do you ask?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
This. Once you stop viewing TSA as security and start understanding it as a jobs program for the otherwise unemployable, a lot of this makes more sense.

If it's that important, two checks is not enough. We need a panel of TDCs to vote on the validity of each ID:
More like this panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db9Y7i-zTJY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.