Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs Officers Destroy New Zealand Cricketer's Bat to Look for Drugs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Customs Officers Destroy New Zealand Cricketer's Bat to Look for Drugs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bodapaty
I can't see any G&M logo. That piece of wood is too thin and flat to be a cricket bat. The edges of a cricket bat are usually at least an inch thick with a slightly rounded look. And usually the top surface is adorned (as are the edges sometimes) with brand names etc. I played cricket in school and I definitely know how a cricket bat looks like.
I agree too. The face seems too flat to me. Also, a G&M logo has a chevron, not a crescent at the bottom.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Lendl Simmons plays with an SS Ton as can be seen here a few weeks ago.

Compare to the pic tweeted by Jimmy Neesham and you can clearly see the black/Blue colour way with the top left of the, and bottom right of the 'T'.

The SMALLER sticker seems to be missing - maybe removed by customs as there is a drill hole there.

The turquoise tint looks like the bat was personalised for use in the CPL as it is the same colours as Guyana, or it could be a metallic strip shining off the kit.

As you may realise I am a big cricket geek and watch pretty much every match played on any given day

I will leave it up to you to agree or disagree with the evidence....

For those wondering about the non financial 'value' of the bat, Simmons scored 0 in his last match before the incident, and scored 97 with his new one

Sorry for the interruption, you may continue with the TSA bashing ^
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Lendl Simmons plays with an SS Ton as can be seen here a few weeks ago.

Compare to the pic tweeted by Jimmy Neesham and you can clearly see the black/Blue colour way with the top left of the, and bottom right of the 'T'.

The SMALLER sticker seems to be missing - maybe removed by customs as there is a drill hole there.

The turquoise tint looks like the bat was personalised for use in the CPL as it is the same colours as Guyana, or it could be a metallic strip shining off the kit.

As you may realise I am a big cricket geek and watch pretty much every match played on any given day

I will leave it up to you to agree or disagree with the evidence....

For those wondering about the non financial 'value' of the bat, Simmons scored 0 in his last match before the incident, and scored 97 with his new one

Sorry for the interruption, you may continue with the TSA bashing ^
CBP did in this cricket bat:

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Late last week, NZ cricket player Jimmy Neesham Tweeted this photo...

And it's a cricket bat.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:57 am

The Problem with gear like hockey sticks and cricket bats is they are made of wood and this means each piece of gear has its own sweet spot this is often the reason for some players to preferably one item over another because it simply suits their game better.

Last edited by moeve; Aug 12, 2014 at 12:58 am Reason: Drat autospell
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
If there is no reasonable belief that drilling in a piece of solid wood might uncover illicit drugs, would the agent be risking a claim of racial profiling as well?

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
So USCBP did him a favor.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Did the Indian team take the scenic SOU-DUB-JFK-MAN route between Tests last week? May explain a few things.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't find that hard to believe, even if it weren't the case in this situation.

I've seen customs shred US-company-factory-packaged diapers over the "you could stash stuff in there, let's just ____ it to make sure it's not there". I've seen their Danish equivalent waste an hour examining the same diapers with multiple x-ray scans and then trying to examine all sorts of unrelated junk until a supervisor told junior to give it up.
Diapers are used for transporting all sorts of stuff, sadly sometimes when they are still attached to a child.

Perhaps they now just randomly tear things apart, but I still doubt it. More often what appears completely random really isn't.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ONTRandy
Diapers are used for transporting all sorts of stuff, sadly sometimes when they are still attached to a child.

Perhaps they now just randomly tear things apart, but I still doubt it. More often what appears completely random really isn't.
Often it's just agent's (racist and/or sexist) prejudices that hits a random individual of the targeted background(s) and hits such person for no good reason.

I'm well aware of the excuses for customs agents' tearing up of children's diapers too. Apologists for customs (hitting the wrong targets) can bring up all sorts of things to try to rationalize property damage, and have brought that up before too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moeve
The Problem with gear like hockey sticks and cricket bats is they are made of wood and this means each piece of gear has its own sweet spot this is often the reason for some players to preferably one item over another because it simply suits their game better.
having played cricket both in England and India during my youngers years, I can tell you it that it takes quite a bit of time to season a bat, and even then finding a sweet spot that suits your style of hitting, means going thru probably at least 10 to 12 bats, in my time playing I had about 6 bats that I travelled with, depending on the condtion of the pitch, the weather, and of course the bowling team I was playing against were some of the reasons for selecting a particular bat...
shame, TSA couldnt just x-ray the bat, I am sure the cricket player was not in the least bit amused.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Often it's just agent's (racist and/or sexist) prejudices that hits a random individual of the targeted background(s) and hits such person for no good reason.

I'm well aware of the excuses for customs agents' tearing up of children's diapers too. Apologists for customs (hitting the wrong targets) can bring up all sorts of things to try to rationalize property damage, and have brought that up before too.
There are certainly a few "bad apples" out there. But they are a very, very small minority compared to the overall workforce. When discovered, those issues are addressed.

I can only speak from my personal experience, training received, etc. Based on that, we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
Aren't cricket bats solid wood (like baseball bats)? How could someone "hide" something - especially on x-ray - inside? Of course, there seem to be some here who feel "it" wasn't a cricket bat (I wouldn't know, having never been interested in that game ). I was stuck in Bosnia in the 1990s with a bunch of British soldiers who insisted on watching cricket matches on our one-and-only TV set for hours and hours on end, but I did manage to survive cricket season.
An X-ray didn't uncover a "corked bat . . . http://www.suntimes.com/sports/38621...f-the-bag.html
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's America. They have a country to protect. So if some Kiwi wants to transit through the most awesomely awesome country in the world then he should be appreciative of a few holes in his bat in return for being allowed to breath the fresh air of freedom.

Naturally Americans will defend this action in the name of their own security. Should however an American baseball player receive the same treatment at a New Zealand airport they'd be demanding an air assault on Wellington to let them know who's boss and not to mess with "Murika's game."
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by fotographer
having played cricket both in England and India during my youngers years, I can tell you it that it takes quite a bit of time to season a bat, and even then finding a sweet spot that suits your style of hitting, means going thru probably at least 10 to 12 bats, in my time playing I had about 6 bats that I travelled with, depending on the condtion of the pitch, the weather, and of course the bowling team I was playing against were some of the reasons for selecting a particular bat...
shame, TSA couldnt just x-ray the bat, I am sure the cricket player was not in the least bit amused.
I agree with you wholeheartedly....although I did not play competitive cricket as such, growing up our high school had very few bats and some of us preferred bat G over the A ! It " hit" better. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.