Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs Officers Destroy New Zealand Cricketer's Bat to Look for Drugs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Customs Officers Destroy New Zealand Cricketer's Bat to Look for Drugs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTcadence
I did a little bit more reading. A good number of news articles have pointed the finger at the TSA, while others have named U.S. Customs as being at fault.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/28711774

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-9657965.html

EDIT

It wasn't the TSA.

Our new buddy, Ross, was johnny-on-the-spot defending the TSA. Guess that's a whole lot easier than actually answering questions truthfully and unambiguously.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Spiff
X-ray.

The TSA employees who destroyed his bat should be forced to pay for a replacement and all damages incurred by the player and team. Criminal charges for destruction of property should also be levied against the TSA employees.
$Aside, a cricketeer's bat is like a concert players instrument. Takes more than money !
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTcadence
I did a little bit more reading. A good number of news articles have pointed the finger at the TSA, while others have named U.S. Customs as being at fault.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/28711774

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-9657965.html

EDIT

It wasn't the TSA.

Why in the world would TSA drill a bat or even have the capability to do so?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
As far as I can see, we do not know if the bat (or "piece of gear" as it was identified) failed an x-ray before the drilling.

My personal opinion is that for any search that turns up nothing needs to be compensated fully for any damage. Sadly that is not the law (anywhere that I know of).

DanishFlyer
Yeah, that's how it should work.

I wonder why in the world they suspected it, though? I don't think we are getting the whole story--why did they suspect drugs? Could perhaps a drug dog have reacted to the bat? (Say, it was handled by someone who was doing drugs?)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Why in the world would TSA drill a bat or even have the capability to do so?
Oh, I don't know ... but this forum is filled with reports of the utterly ridiculous things that TSA employees have done to passengers or their belongings ...

After awhile, it's hard to tell the difference between the stuff people make up and the real stories ...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
DUMB idiots WHO WORKS THERE
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by HMPS
$Aside, a cricketeer's bat is like a concert players instrument. Takes more than money !
not quite, they are replaced fairly often!

often a musical instrument is for life (and the passed onto someone else)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, that's how it should work.

I wonder why in the world they suspected it, though? I don't think we are getting the whole story--why did they suspect drugs? Could perhaps a drug dog have reacted to the bat? (Say, it was handled by someone who was doing drugs?)
CBP has been drilling into imported/transiting wooden products even when the drug-sniffing dogs don't alert and the x-ray image is consistent with what an ordinary wooden object looks like on an x-ray.

And if you are of non-European ethnicity as well and from the West Indies rather than of just European ethnicities and from Australia, CBP tends to make more of a stink. What is the ethnic background of the West Indian player whose cricket bat was subject to this CBP drilling? Unsurprisingly, the DHS/CBP-targeted individual has non-European ethnic background as well.

At which airport did this happen? Miami? If so, this is even less surprising.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:48 am
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I am constantly surprised and dismayed by the ever-increasing depths of stupidity reached by my government and its ignorant, uneducated, paranoid employees.

My guess is that this was probably CBP. There must have been an agent trying to get his mug on Border Wars for finding that Big Catch (or Big Cache, as it were). I have watched them disassemble entire vehicles on that show, but they only air the successes. I often wonder how often they disassemble a vehicle and find nothing at all? I'm sure they are immune from any kind of action for their wonton destruction of private property, and I'll bet that their victim, er, suspect, has to foot the bill for reassembling the vehicle out of pocket.

It's nice when they stop the big drug and cash shipments and catch human smugglers, but the damage they do to innocent people is becoming more trouble than the results are worth.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bruceba
They cut lots of holes in boats as well.
When they do, they are supposed to pay for all damages. When the CG drills into a boat and finds no drugs, their boarding teams are supposed to leave behind a claims form. And when they are submitted, the CG pays the claim without question.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:27 am

Maybe the agent in question was English? (cricket joke there)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
Maybe the agent in question was English? (cricket joke there)
If so, then that (bat destruction) is not cricket.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
Ah, yes, I agree, at least with the customs part. One cam always discuss if the security of foreign airport is to be trusted (my personal opinion is set some minimum standards for security on flights into your country and that should be enough too).

DanishFlyer
But who can trust foreign security to keep an aircraft safe?? It's much better for us to keep all those dangerous foreign flyers out of our airspace and away from our biggest and most targeted cities! 'Murika!

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:15 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by relangford
Customs agents have drills?
Of course, why do you seem vexed by that?
They have all sorts of tools to dismantle, x-ray, remove, destroy, and test various objects.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
I was in law enforcement for 11 years, part of that interdiction. When we kicked your door, inspected the inside of car seats, or otherwise damaged stuff and didn't find anything, we were on the hook for replacement. Everyone was aware of that and nobody wanted their name associated with lots of damaged stuff and little found stuff.

When we did find what we were looking for, it was seized (usually for a long time) and someone else dealt with any claims that may have arisen from the search, so I can't speak to that. Though in my opinion, if things were found it ought to be a considered a cost of doing business as a criminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.