Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Border Patrol points gun and detains scout troop at Canadian Border

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Border Patrol points gun and detains scout troop at Canadian Border

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
"I am not photographing the crossing, I am photographing that mountain. I can't help it if your border crossing is the the frame."
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
It's difficult to see how signs prohibiting photography are compatible with court decisions confirming the right to photography.

The TSA tried to use 'SSI' as a reason, but the courts accepted that argument that there was obviously no valid security interest. The images a camera would capture is exactly what someone visiting the area would see. It's not a secret if it's seen by millions of people a year. Even a process that is imposed on only a few thousand is revealed to exactly the people that shouldn't know the putative secret.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Was searching for legal president regarding photography at the US Border checkpoint and went to DHS's own website and clicked on "DHS Civil Rights and Civil Liberties" and got this:
Page not found
The requested page was not found

"Sorry! The page you are looking for may not exist, may have been removed or had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

To help you find what you are looking for, try one or more of the following:

Check the URL (Web address) for proper spelling and completeness.
Use the site map.
Type in what you are looking for in the search box in the upper right.

To report a broken link, please use our Web site issues form.
Last Published Date: February 6, 2014"
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If by faster you mean training a carload of people to be sheep sure. But stopping the van, telling the people photographs aren't allowed and having the scout delete would accomplish the same legitimate goal while not being a male mid-body appendage.
What I mean is that the Border Patrol officer could have taken the opportunity to talk to the children, explain a little bit about his job and the function of the Border Patrol, and explain why the no photography rule exists. That would have been the right way.

The wrong way would have the Border Patrol officer bound on to the bus and bark at the children until the Scout in question was shamed into admitting he took the photo, then was barked at some more until the photo was deleted. This would have been followed by a lecture about how Border Patrol is keeping our nation safe from turrists.

The Max Power way would involve the Border Patrol agent and a loaded gun pointed at the head of an underage US citizen.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CBP claims they viewed the video and can't find that any weapon was unholstered, but they are investigating further. Everyone seems to be focused on the gun aspect, but I'm more interested in the claim that it took them 4 hours to clear the checkpoint. That smacks of retaliation and had to involve more than one officer's discretion. It seems like an abuse of discretion to extend a routine border crossing into a 4-hour ordeal even though CBP certainly has the authority to open every nook and cranny. CBP hasn't made any claim that there was reason to suspect the group of any immigration or customs violations. It sounds like they did it to harass and intimidate.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sadly, yet logically, I am more prone to believe the statements of a Boy Scout/Scout Master than a statement without proof about evidence claiming to clear the CBP.
The search was definitely retaliatory and punitive. I have spent 2 hours at the US-Canada border at Niagara Falls before but that was during a Sunday night, during the summer and some threat level had been raised. CBP did have all lanes open though and some CBP employees went around with bottles of water and gave access to bathrooms to people with kids/infants. 4 hours is punitive and respect my authority behavior.

Originally Posted by Ari
CBP claims they viewed the video and can't find that any weapon was unholstered, but they are investigating further. Everyone seems to be focused on the gun aspect, but I'm more interested in the claim that it took them 4 hours to clear the checkpoint. That smacks of retaliation and had to involve more than one officer's discretion. It seems like an abuse of discretion to extend a routine border crossing into a 4-hour ordeal even though CBP certainly has the authority to open every nook and cranny. CBP hasn't made any claim that there was reason to suspect the group of any immigration or customs violations. It sounds like they did it to harass and intimidate.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
What I mean is that the Border Patrol officer could have taken the opportunity to talk to the children, explain a little bit about his job and the function of the Border Patrol, and explain why the no photography rule exists. That would have been the right way.

It most certainly would not. There are simply no legal restrictions on photography in public places.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
CBP claims they viewed the video and can't find that any weapon was unholstered
I'm guessing that the video showing the firearm brandishing will be harder to locate than an intact Lois Lerner hard drive.

I'm going with the statement of the kid and his scout leader. Has the ring of truth from folks not badly disposed toward CBP, at least not *before* this incident.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by shenxing
If photographs really aren't allowed by some law that miraculously avoids contradicting the first amendment
There is no law (and no constitution) while you are not yet admitted to the country.

Maybe we should consider officer boredom. The Canada/Alaska border is probably not the most exciting assignment. Plenty of time to get paranoid over boy scouts !
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The young man has learned that is very risky to take photos of military or quasi-military installations when in a totalitarian country and America most certainly qualifies.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:42 am

Those are fighting words from a Canadian Don't make us think about "liberating" you guys, you do have oil.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The young man has learned that is very risky to take photos of military or quasi-military installations when in a totalitarian country and America most certainly qualifies.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by MtlChris
There is no law (and no constitution) while you are not yet admitted to the country.

Maybe we should consider officer boredom. The Canada/Alaska border is probably not the most exciting assignment. Plenty of time to get paranoid over boy scouts !
'Cept this occurred while the scouts were entering Alaska, which, as hopefully you are aware, is one of the 50 states.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:01 am

I think OP means that the actual immigration checkpoint is a holding area where your rights are kind of not in full effect (Supreme Court has ruled CBP can do certain kinds of searches without any reasonable suspicion). And only once you are admitted to the country does the Constitution kick in fully.

This is part of the conundrum about preclearence, you present yourself at say DUB or AUH as an American Citizen with appropriate valid documentation. Once that is done you should be waved through and then technically "in America" but there are rumors and stories of hassles & suspect of being able to deny access to an American Citizen before they can enter "America".

Originally Posted by petaluma1
'Cept this occurred while the scouts were entering Alaska, which, as hopefully you are aware, is one of the 50 states.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:57 am

At a US border checkpoint, the police are given an exception to the fourth amendment to conduct an administrative search for contraband. That's it, all other laws are in effect. The idea that the constitution is suspended is ludicrous, as the government then wouldn't have the authority to do anything at all.

If the boy was actually in Canada when he took the picture, then his right to photograph the policeman was protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by shenxing
At a US border checkpoint, the police are given an exception to the fourth amendment to conduct an administrative search for contraband. That's it, all other laws are in effect. The idea that the constitution is suspended is ludicrous, as the government then wouldn't have the authority to do anything at all.
I'll let you go ahead with exercising your freedom of speech with a CBP officer !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.