Wiki Posts
Search

WTMD being removed in "favor" of MMW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

WTMD being removed in "favor" of MMW?

I read this on the blog this morning:

Is it true that the TSA will be removing the walk through metal detectors from some or all of the precheck lines and installing millimeter wave scanners?

Is the plan to remove as many WTMD options for travelers as possible?
This wouldn't surprise me.

BTW, Ross, where is the response from the TSA to the public comment on AIT?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drugs and cash aren't metallic. The WTMD does nothing to advance the true mission of the TSA.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:38 pm

The current plan is to add the L3s to PreCheck lanes to afford passengers with implants the opportunity to use the L3.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by WhyNotKnow
The current plan is to add the L3s to PreCheck lanes to afford passengers with implants the opportunity to use the L3.
Except that the question in the OP was about replacing the WTMD with the MMW ("removing the walk through metal detectors"), not about adding a MMW.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
BTW, Ross, where is the response from the TSA to the public comment on AIT?
Ross who?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by WhyNotKnow
What a waste of time and money.
If someone with precheck needs to use the scanner, they can just open the gate in front of the WTMD and have that pax go through the scanner in the next line.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Except that the question in the OP was about replacing the WTMD with the MMW ("removing the walk through metal detectors"), not about adding a MMW...
They have done the opposite in AUS. At Checkpoint 2 this morning, three WTMD-only lanes are now available for PreCheck and "Managed Inclusion." The single lane available for everybody else is MMW only.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:53 am

So is the TSA replacing metal detectors in precheck lanes with body scanners, or is an additional option being added?

Also, what is the source of the blog post that the original poster cited? I cannot find it anywhere?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by guflyer
So is the TSA replacing metal detectors in precheck lanes with body scanners, or is an additional option being added?
Many of us have seen body scanners added to the PreCheck lanes at a number of airports in the last few months.

TSA Ross posted in another thread on FT that these body scanners are supposed to supplement the WTMDs currently in place. He was asked if going through the scanner will truly be optional, but he has not answered that question as of yet.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:59 pm

From what I've read on here and also from other second hand information,something like this is happening at PDX with people getting granted pre-check and getting sent through MMW. I'm not sure if they are just doing this during the slower times & shutting down the WTMD dedicated to pre-check, or if there is some sort of random selection that is always applicable now even with the lane in full operation.

Too bad this news came out just after I applied for GE, primarily for the benefit of Pre-Check. If I'm pre-check in the future and get sent through the MMW (and opt out), it begs the question how they'd do the waistband check and touching of the feet with belt and shoes on.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guflyer

Also, what is the source of the blog post that the original poster cited? I cannot find it anywhere?
Anonymous said...

Is it true that the TSA will be removing the walk through metal detectors from some or all of the precheck lines and installing millimeter wave scanners?

Is the plan to remove as many WTMD options for travelers as possible?

July 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...59601343373681
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBD
Many of us have seen body scanners added to the PreCheck lanes at a number of airports in the last few months.

TSA Ross posted in another thread on FT that these body scanners are supposed to supplement the WTMDs currently in place. He was asked if going through the scanner will truly be optional, but he has not answered that question as of yet.
Do you really expect an straight out honest answer?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Do you really expect an straight out honest answer?
I have seen nor heard anything about replacing the WTMD in Pre-check lines, I have however, seen that some AIT machines have been moved to the Pre lines in order to provide alternate screening methods to folks that cna't pass through the WTMD without alarming. So, nothing I have seen other than that one comment from an anonymous source (with no linkage to refer to I might add), indicates that this is happening. (that is about as striahgt an answer as I can give you!)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Whats up with this crap. Full body scanners at the JFK T8 precheck. Random alarm goes off on WTMD and instead of ETD swab you get radiated.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Whats up with this crap. Full body scanners at the JFK T8 precheck. Random alarm goes off on WTMD and instead of ETD swab you get radiated.
Well, you're no longer being radiated as with backscatter, but you've got a 50/50 chance of having some screener's hands on some part of your body due to the MMW false alarm rate. Maybe the screeners rebelled at doing full pat downs of anyone who alarmed the WTMD so the TSA in its infinite wisdom decided to send those alarms through MMW. Maybe TSA realized that the ETD swabs are essentially useless. (I can dream, can't I?)

Strange though. WTMD alarms so the victim gets sent through MMW, which may not alarm thus allowing someone with some disallowed item onto a plane.

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just bring back hand-held metal detectors to deal with WTMD alarms? Of course it would, but that's too easy for the TSA.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:21 am

It seems unlikely that they would be completely removed. WTMDs are the only screening method for pilots and flight attendants plus children, the elderly, and those with an inability to use the NOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.