Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA random baggage screening, not so random?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

In the last dozen flights I've traveled through the US, every single box I've checked has been opened and resealed by the TSA.

I mean every single one to the letter.

It doesn't matter if the box is for a computer, box of random things, a piece of artwork, they open every one of them.

I've had my stuff miss their flights due to the additional screening, and recently they cut open the box and the protective bubble wrap I used to secure my item causing it to be broken on arrival (airline blames the TSA).

They've never opened my other baggage once (*knock on wood*), but the boxes every time.

What's everyone else's experiences?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Never had it happen, but I've never brought anything back in a checked box. Perhaps you could try using a cheap piece of luggage instead of a box next time and see if it still gets searched.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Just stop using old liquor boxes or boxes labeled: iPad Air: 12 units. Fragile.

I suggest old boxes for Depends.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I use new boxes I buy from Staples. I don't a bunch of cheap suitcases piling up in home.

My other regular luggage never gets searched, but I guess you guys were too busy posting your smart Alec responses to notice I already said that.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by alphaod
I use new boxes I buy from Staples. I don't a bunch of cheap suitcases piling up in home.

My other regular luggage never gets searched, but I guess you guys were too busy posting your smart Alec responses to notice I already said that.
Well, although Ink did inject some tongue-in-cheek humor into his post, he really did suggest something practical - make every effort to make your checked items appear worthless in order to reduce the possibility of a dishonest TSO cutting them open in a search for stealable objects.

Chollie's response, on the other hand, had zero humor in it, completely acknowledged your OP, and offered a helpful suggestion.

Without getting snarky, I will offer another helpful suggestion (which I also expect you to dismiss out of hand with a scornful remark) - instead of checking these cardboard-boxed items, ship them via USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

I also agree with Chollie's suggestion. Your dismissal of it because "I don't a bunch of cheap suitcases piling up in home." is somewhat puzzling, since he didn't suggest buying more than ONE cheap bag and using it in all such situations. Likewise, there are more types of luggage than just suitcases; perhaps a collapsible duffel or a folding plastic storage box might work for you.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Oh, yes, my boxes always get searched, too. To the point where I have learned to instruct the ticket agent to put the luggage tags on so that they do not fall across the seam of the box, which will be cut open. I have wine carriers I have used a dozen times and the TSA re-sealing tape weighs more than the cardboard at this point.

I think that the vast majority of checked luggage I have done is liquids like wine, alcohol, beer, etc. At one point I checked a box with dishes and bubble wrap, but that was not cut open and re-sealed by the TSA

But I generally think anything liquid, dense, or electronics in a box is almost guaranteed to get opened and searched. I think TSA takes anything 'irreversibly' sealed/locked as a challenge.

If you do purchase items on your trips regularly, you could invest in a compact duffel that is checked-luggage sturdy, but will fold up small inside your outbound bag. In the long run, it would probably be cheaper than buying new boxes every time.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Tote.../dp/B004YZCZL4

Last edited by janetdoe; Jun 12, 2014 at 11:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.