Wiki Posts
Search

CBSA doing exit customs checks at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
CBSA doing exit customs checks at YVR

Has anyone else encountered this? I was boarding YVR-SYD about a week ago. It was a late night (~23:40) departure. 2 big burly CBSA agents stood in the jet bridge. They were letting everyone in front of us board w/o issues, but suddenly stuck their arms out when my companion and I were passing them and asked to see our passports.

They each questioned one of us. Where do I live? Why was I going to Australia? How much money do I have on me? What are my plans there? Where else am I going on this trip? How did I book my trip? How long ago did I book it? He looked puzzled and didn't know what make of the fact that the trip was booked via United, and was paid for with miles.

Seemingly not convinced by my answers, they led both of us out of the jetbridge and to the side of our gate and went through our hand bags. They scoured everything - toiletries, wallets, even my travel companion's feminine hygiene products. I was even asked why do I have XYZ prescription medication (it was in my own name), as if questioning whether I had a medical purpose for having it. When they were satisfied we weren't carrying contraband they let us board. Not before logging our passports info and apparently recording some notes on the encounter in little notebooks. I imagine they may enter this into a computer later.

It was an uncomfortable and awkward experience getting pulled over in full view of everyone else. Never got this treatment before while exiting the US or Canada. Is it something that happens often?

Last edited by AwardBee; Jun 1, 2014 at 8:52 am Reason: added info
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CBP does it to in the US. Just because neither country has a formal exit checkpoint does not mean that they do not do random and targeted checks.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
CBP does it to in the US. Just because neither country has a formal exit checkpoint does not mean that they do not do random and targeted checks.
The US has a formal electronic exit check -- an electronic checkpoint some would say -- but indeed the US CBP does this. When it appears "random" -- as in they aren't looking for just specifically pre-identified as flagged -- it's routinely a hunt for undeclared currency above a certain amount being transported out of the country without a proper declaration form filed in advance of attempting to board.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:06 pm

CBSA is the worst -- anywhere. This is how I would have answered:

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Has anyone else encountered this? I was boarding YVR-SYD about a week ago. It was a late night (~23:40) departure. 2 big burly CBSA agents stood in the jet bridge. They were letting everyone in front of us board w/o issues, but suddenly stuck their arms out when my companion and I were passing them and asked to see our passports.

They each questioned one of us. Where do I live?
Not in your crappy country
Why was I going to Australia?
I can't think of anywhere else that's further away from your crappy country
How much money do I have on me?
How high have you learned to count?
What are my plans there?
To give daily thanks for the fact that I am not in Canada
Where else am I going on this trip?
To visit the "Blame Canada" museum
How did I book my trip?
I rang up my travel agent in Ottawa and said 'I want to go somewhere with intelligent people'; she said, 'hold on, let me connect you with international bookings'
How long ago did I book it?
Not soon enough, apparently.
He looked puzzled and didn't know what make of the fact that the trip was booked via United, and was paid for with miles.

Seemingly not convinced by my answers, they led both of us out of the jetbridge and to the side of our gate and went through our hand bags. They scoured everything - toiletries, wallets, even my travel companion's feminine hygiene products. I was even asked why do I have XYZ prescription medication (it was in my own name), as if questioning whether I had a medical purpose for having it.
It's commonly prescribed to treat the depression caused by being in Canada
When they were satisfied we weren't carrying contraband they let us board. Not before logging our passports info and apparently recording some notes on the encounter in little notebooks. I imagine they may enter this into a computer later.

It was an uncomfortable and awkward experience getting pulled over in full view of everyone else. Never got this treatment before while exiting the US or Canada. Is it something that happens often?
CBSA is the worst
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:31 am
Suspended

That may be sort of an amusing exchange to see, but provoking government workers in roles that tend to attract people who consider themselves "nationalists" is sort of an invitation for problems and a lesson in how the right to freedom of speech being exercised can have unwelcome consequences for some who exercise such rights.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:17 am

But you are leaving the country ... Why check?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldjonesy
But you are leaving the country ... Why check?
The non-winnable "wars" .... on drugs, money, etc. empower the governments to exercise authority over the public in the name of the public, so it is done to try to catch people while leaving. Operating dragnets at the border seems to be not that unpopular, so it is done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.