Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Allowed to Board International Flight to US Without ID Check; Reason for Concern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allowed to Board International Flight to US Without ID Check; Reason for Concern?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I really find the gate checking of passports a pointless exercise.

You really dont think that if someone really wanted to, they couldnt sneak a fake passport by the GA? Its not like they have the equipment, or the training to detect fake passports.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I really find the gate checking of passports a pointless exercise.

You really dont think that if someone really wanted to, they couldnt sneak a fake passport by the GA? Its not like they have the equipment, or the training to detect fake passports.
The gate agents are not looking for false documents, but ensuring that every passenger boarding the plane has the documents upon landing. This can help alleviate any potential fines that come back to UA if a customer lands without documents.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by InterFlyer
.... So someone, say on the no-fly list, gets a hold of my reservation and boards in the plane as if it were myself. ....
..... The first time I pulled my passport out of my pocket was at the immigration booth when I arrived in the US. .....
so a problem individual would not not been successful.
..... There was no TSA agent checking boarding passes/IDs either.
TSA is only USA.

Seems you want to report this even while most don't see a major issue, what are you looking from this group?
Old May 31, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
What country?
Old May 31, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, is there some reason you don't want to tell us where this happened?
Old May 31, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
Grand Cayman

Interesting to know that boarding an international flight without showing anybody a single piece of ID is not a security problem.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Grand Cayman

Interesting to know that boarding an international flight without showing anybody a single piece of ID is not a security problem.
Can you explain why it's a real issue? And why it's specifically an issue with respect to international flights? Other than that the powers that control the security theatrics added it to the experience you usually have, so it must be good for security?
Old May 31, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Note that in the US, TSA will usually let you fly without ID on domestic flights, although you will generally be subject to some additional screening. See http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ype=blogs&_r=0

The no-fly list really isn't a crucial component of aviation security, domestically or internationally. Bad people on the no-fly list can find other individuals with a clean record to do bad things; what matters most security-wise is ensuring nobody boards a plane with something that could seriously harm the aircraft or the passengers. The only reliable way to do that is to effectively screen pax and their baggage - whether they're on some list or not.

As far as entering a port of the US is concerned, ICE/CBP will not let anyone enter who cannot substantiate their identity with sufficient documentation (generally a passport).
Old May 31, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm thinking about when my passport is generally checked, and I've found that it's always checked at check-in, but not for security. They're ensuring that I have the right to enter the country I'm traveling to (based on my passport, visa waiver, or visa). Security checking it - depends on the country.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
ID is a WOFTAM. It is not a criteria for domestic Australian flights. At least 2 people from MH370 were on false IDs and subsequently (AFAIU) not linked with the disappearance of the aircraft. IDs are easy to manufacture or purchase and serve no real purpose in aviation security. It is just an employment generator and a cause of delay for passengers.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
This is not a UA security issue.
+1

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or any kind of security issue.
+2

Really? So someone, say on the no-fly list, gets a hold of my reservation and boards in the plane as if it were myself. That has nothing to do with UA and nothing to do with security, right? The UA employee at the check-in counter never saw my ID (and never asked for any, not even to hand me the bag tags).
Yes. Don't confuse security with theater. The biggest problem with your scenario is for UA's revenue; they'll probably end up transporting you or the villain for free.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moving this to Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate with an enhanced thread title to clarify the topic.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Really? So someone, say on the no-fly list, gets a hold of my reservation and boards in the plane as if it were myself. That has nothing to do with UA and nothing to do with security, right? The UA employee at the check-in counter never saw my ID (and never asked for any, not even to hand me the bag tags).
The no-fly list has nothing to do with security and should be abolished.

As others have told you, this was not a security issue of any kind. Your identity has nothing to do with security, despite claims by some no-talent ___clowns in the US government to the contrary.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
The no-fly list has nothing to do with security and should be abolished.

As others have told you, this was not a security issue of any kind. Your identity has nothing to do with security, despite claims by some no-talent ___clowns in the US government to the contrary.
Why should the no-fly list be abolished? Not to say that it's perfect, but in essence, it's no different than any other venue who bans certain people because they represent a threat (whether security, safety, consistent rules violation, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.