Search

fishing tackle in carry-on

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
fishing tackle in carry-on

I am traveling to Florida tomorrow and planning to bring my travel rod for some fishing opportunities in the evenings while on my business trip. I'd like to bring a small tackle box in my carry-on, to save some money on buying lures. But, I don't want to have to check my bag.

TSA website says that "large fishing hooks" are not permitted in carryon bags, but "smaller flies" that do not pose a safety hazard are permitted. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...hing-equipment

Does anyone have any experience with what is and isn't permitted? These guidelines are arbitrary at best. Realistically I would like to bring saltwater hooks up to 3/0 in size, including plugs with larger treble hooks.

I typically do receive PRE when I travel, if that matters.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I had to check 8/0 Mustads once after they were rejected by the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.