Money smuggling at BOS

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Money smuggling at BOS

Airline employees charged in cash-smuggling sting:

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...0276#scpshrjmd

Not an atty but how is this 'defrauding the TSA'?
Old May 29, 2014, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by txrus
Airline employees charged in cash-smuggling sting:

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...0276#scpshrjmd

Not an atty but how is this 'defrauding the TSA'?
Misuse of work time?

I still don't understand why there should be a problem taking any amount of cash through a checkpoint. I know TSA will question it on the pretext that the passenger has to notify CBP if taking >$10K out of the country. But if someone is on a domestic itinerary, as far as the checkpoint is concerned, $ is just another form of paper. Screen it the same way you would a huge pile of play money (no 'artfully concealed' razor blades) and let it go.

Clearly, TSA still actively looks for and challenges sizable amounts of cash at the checkpoint. If LEs are summoned, I wonder what it takes to be allowed to pass? Documentation establishing ownership of the $$? Even then, since when do the police have the authority to challenge a citizen solely because he/she is walking around with >$10K on his/her person?

Interesting item in TSA's official response: TSA randomly inspects airport and airline workers as they enter or work within the secure area.

Really? What do you screen a restaurant worker or lounge employee for? Do they do residue tests? Gropes?

Does this ever really happen?
Old May 29, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...muggling_sting

I get the money laundering part but still don't get how TSA fits in-looks to me like the US Atty is giving the TSA way more authority than they actually have.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Misuse of work time?

I still don't understand why there should be a problem taking any amount of cash through a checkpoint. I know TSA will question it on the pretext that the passenger has to notify CBP if taking >$10K out of the country. But if someone is on a domestic itinerary, as far as the checkpoint is concerned, $ is just another form of paper. Screen it the same way you would a huge pile of play money (no 'artfully concealed' razor blades) and let it go.

Clearly, TSA still actively looks for and challenges sizable amounts of cash at the checkpoint. If LEs are summoned, I wonder what it takes to be allowed to pass? Documentation establishing ownership of the $$? Even then, since when do the police have the authority to challenge a citizen solely because he/she is walking around with >$10K on his/her person?

Interesting item in TSA's official response: TSA randomly inspects airport and airline workers as they enter or work within the secure area.

Really? What do you screen a restaurant worker or lounge employee for? Do they do residue tests? Gropes?

Does this ever really happen?
[QUOTE]The Transportation Security Administration screeners then found that the two men were carrying above the $10,000 maximum in US currency. Alkhanshli had $12,000 and Ali had $14,000, sources said.

Both were then questioned by US Customs and Border Protection personnel, causing them to miss their flight, sources said.

The men were able to explain why they had the money, and the feds then cleared them to catch another flight, sources said.[QUOTE]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/28...-mans-luggage/

(I am unable to open the OP's link.)
Old May 29, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...muggling_sting

I get the money laundering part but still don't get how TSA fits in-looks to me like the US Atty is giving the TSA way more authority than they actually have.
This is clearly a guess since I can't get the link to open but I would suspect the defrauding TSA would be alleged lies or misrepresentations made on the SIDA application. Such as statements on the application that you will not use access the SIDA badge grants for illegal purposes. It is really just an extra charge that is being thrown on if I had to guess.

I would be interested to see what the actual statute that was used to charge them.

FB

Last edited by Firebug4; May 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 6:13 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Firebug4
This is clearly a guess since I can't get the link to open but I would suspect the defrauding TSA would be alleged lies or misrepresentations made on the SIDA application. Such as statements on the application that you will not use access the SIDA badge grants for illegal purposes. It is really just an extra charge that is being thrown on if I had to guess.

I would be interested to see what the actual statute that was used to charge them.

FB
I Concur. It seems from various articles and reports it is how they used their SIDAs to bypass the main channels of entry to the sterile area.
edit: I mean just in relation to the TSA charges, not the rest.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; May 29, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Entrapment?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Entrapment?
There is not enough information to even begin to speculate concerning the topic of entrapment. There is much more to entrapment then the government merely soliciting someone to do a criminal act.

FB
Old May 30, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
While the TSA sets the requirements for issuance of a SIDA badge, the actual process of issuing the badge is done by the airport. The badge is the property of the airport and the airport is responsible for the administrative procedures if the badge is misused.
This is a link to Seatac's "rules"
http://www.portseattle.org/Employee-...tyhandbook.pdf

I think the original wire article that was copied for the many stories was poorly written as the TSA isn't being "defrauded" which is defined as illegally obtaining money from someone by deception. Since they didn’t get the money from the TSA they didn’t defraud them. At the worst they and the companies they work for could incur civil penalties from the TSA and other punitive action from the airport.

The money laundering charge is the one carrying the heavy penalties. I'm not a lawyer but this link details the US Civil code related to money laundering.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1956

It looks like they can be charged under section 3.

The problem I have is that this was done as a sting by the DHS which doesn't have jurisdiction over drug cases or money laundering. While they did make the argument that it's a violation of security, it really isn't as they have no proof of weapons or destructive devices being smuggled past the checkpoint nor can the prove that the defendants would have knowingly smuggled those types of items.

The worst thing here was the use of an "informant" who is a convicted felon and now will be getting "improved immigration status", meaning he's going to be free in the US while these guys are going to be jailed, possibly for 20 years.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here is the charging affidavit detailing the specific facts of the alleged criminal activity:

http://freepdfhosting.com/7eb2357fe4.pdf
Old May 30, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A DHS entrapment operation where the "cooperating witness" heading the DHS-led conspiracy is a felon facing potential deportation/removal who happens to be seeking favorable immigration status adjustment and/or other governmental waiver/favor?

If I were on the jury on a trial for such a case, the government would be anything but guaranteed to get a guilty verdict vote from me.

The government in this case seems to consider an unauthorized use of airside access privilege to be defrauding the government even when no money or material is being deprived of the government.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The fraud on the government charge does seem a bit weird. The money laundering charge looks a lot stronger.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
The fraud on the government charge does seem a bit weird. The money laundering charge looks a lot stronger.
Access fraud is something the government can use for even things like unauthorized computer access -- material damage need not take place as a result of unauthorized access for access fraud charges to be brought down on individuals or groups of individuals.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ronin308
While the TSA sets the requirements for issuance of a SIDA badge, the actual process of issuing the badge is done by the airport. The badge is the property of the airport and the airport is responsible for the administrative procedures if the badge is misused.
This is a link to Seatac's "rules"
http://www.portseattle.org/Employee-...tyhandbook.pdf

I think the original wire article that was copied for the many stories was poorly written as the TSA isn't being "defrauded" which is defined as illegally obtaining money from someone by deception. Since they didn’t get the money from the TSA they didn’t defraud them. At the worst they and the companies they work for could incur civil penalties from the TSA and other punitive action from the airport.

The money laundering charge is the one carrying the heavy penalties. I'm not a lawyer but this link details the US Civil code related to money laundering.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1956

It looks like they can be charged under section 3.

The problem I have is that this was done as a sting by the DHS which doesn't have jurisdiction over drug cases or money laundering. While they did make the argument that it's a violation of security, it really isn't as they have no proof of weapons or destructive devices being smuggled past the checkpoint nor can the prove that the defendants would have knowingly smuggled those types of items.

The worst thing here was the use of an "informant" who is a convicted felon and now will be getting "improved immigration status", meaning he's going to be free in the US while these guys are going to be jailed, possibly for 20 years.
DHS does have jurisdiction over drug cases and money laundering cases. This is because Homeland Security Investigations is under DHS. It is Homeland Security Investigations that participated in this enforcement action. DHS actually does very little enforcement. It is the agency that are in the DHS department that do the enforcement.

FB
Old May 30, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A DHS entrapment operation where the "cooperating witness" heading the DHS-led conspiracy is a felon facing potential deportation/removal who happens to be seeking favorable immigration status adjustment and/or other governmental waiver/favor?

If I were on the jury on a trial for such a case, the government would be anything but guaranteed to get a guilty verdict vote from me.

The government in this case seems to consider an unauthorized use of airside access privilege to be defrauding the government even when no money or material is being deprived of the government.
The situation you described above would not met the legal elements of an entrapment defense. There are two elements that need to be met. Just offering a person the opportunity to do a criminal act is not Entrapment.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/fo...9/crm00645.htm

Entrapment—Elements

Entrapment is a complete defense to a criminal charge, on the theory that "Government agents may not originate a criminal design, implant in an innocent person's mind the disposition to commit a criminal act, and then induce commission of the crime so that the Government may prosecute." Jacobson v. United States, 503 U.S. 540, 548 (1992). A valid entrapment defense has two related elements: (1) government inducement of the crime, and (2) the defendant's lack of predisposition to engage in the criminal conduct. Mathews v. United States, 485 U.S. 58, 63 (1988). Of the two elements, predisposition is by far the more important.

Inducement is the threshold issue in the entrapment defense. Mere solicitation to commit a crime is not inducement. Sorrells v. United States, 287 U.S. 435, 451 (1932). Nor does the government's use of artifice, stratagem, pretense, or deceit establish inducement. Id. at 441. Rather, inducement requires a showing of at least persuasion or mild coercion, United States v. Nations, 764 F.2d 1073, 1080 (5th Cir. 1985); pleas based on need, sympathy, or friendship, ibid.; or extraordinary promises of the sort "that would blind the ordinary person to his legal duties," United States v. Evans, 924 F.2d 714, 717 (7th Cir. 1991). See also United States v. Kelly, 748 F.2d 691, 698 (D.C. Cir. 1984) (inducement shown only if government's behavior was such that "a law-abiding citizen's will to obey the law could have been overborne"); United States v. Johnson, 872 F.2d 612, 620 (5th Cir. 1989) (inducement shown if government created "a substantial risk that an offense would be committed by a person other than one ready to commit it").

Even if inducement has been shown, a finding of predisposition is fatal to an entrapment defense. The predisposition inquiry focuses upon whether the defendant "was an unwary innocent or, instead, an unwary criminal who readily availed himself of the opportunity to perpetrate the crime." Mathews, 485 U.S. at 63. Thus, predisposition should not be confused with intent or mens rea: a person may have the requisite intent to commit the crime, yet be entrapped. Also, predisposition may exist even in the absence of prior criminal involvement: "the ready commission of the criminal act," such as where a defendant promptly accepts an undercover agent's offer of an opportunity to buy or sell drugs, may itself establish predisposition. Jacobson, 503 U.S. at 550.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.