Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Laser tech could scan liquids to end the 3-1-1 stupidity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Aside from the fact that it's written by a person who buys into the legitimacy of the liquid lunacy, it's an interesting article about laser scanning liquids to look for "bad" liquids.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/05/...el-3-1-1-rule/

Made by Cobalt Light Systems in the U.K., the Insight100 can identify the chemical composition of liquids sealed in non-metallic packaging. It employs technology that currently enables the pharmaceutical industry to scan and verify medicines.

The Insight100 shines a laser beam at a container of liquid. A spectrum of light returns, and the machine crosschecks it against a library of liquids that are known to be threats.

“The technology works using the technique of Raman spectroscopy,” says Professor Pavel Matousek of the U.K.’s Science and Technology Facilities Council. “When combined with advanced algorithms to distinguish between the container and its contents, the technology is able to identify the chemical composition in seconds, and with greater reliability than any other existing system.”

Insight100 has been successfully deployed in 65 airports across Europe – including Heathrow and Gatwick in the U.K. – to screen for liquid explosives since January.

Liquid explosives don't look any different from regular liquids on X-ray monitors, but the Insight100 system can analyze the contents of bottles up to three liters without having to open them.
Of course, it probably won't be used here because it's made by a furrin' company.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:06 pm

When the 3-1-1 stupidity was first brought in (and one needs to remember that, for once, we - the UK - were the ones who started it) we were told that it was a temporary measure and that new equipment was being developed that would make the liquid ban unnecessary.

We were even given a date on which the liquid ban would be abolished - 29 April 2013. That day came and went, but the liquid ban is still there.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
When the 3-1-1 stupidity was first brought in (and one needs to remember that, for once, we - the UK - were the ones who started it) we were told that it was a temporary measure and that new equipment was being developed that would make the liquid ban unnecessary.

We were even given a date on which the liquid ban would be abolished - 29 April 2013. That day came and went, but the liquid ban is still there.
I think it comes back to the Washington addage of never letting a crisis go to waste. Once a government is able to seize some sort of power over people, it's very reluctant to let it go.

Or admit that it was wrong in the first place. That's when they usually double down on the stupidity.

I've heard "temporary" from both the gov't and airlines about cutting amenities. When some amenities were cut shortly after 911, they claimed that they had to pay for the extra security at the moment and they'd eventually be back. Yeah, right ...
Old May 2, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Hey great! Something else to throw money at which eventually ends up in the storage facility.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what will happen when they counter containers of medical liquid that need to remain sealed until use?
Old May 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And what will happen when they counter containers of medical liquid that need to remain sealed until use?
The article says the containers don't have to be opened.

I'll reserve judgement on this tech until it sees some action with TSA and we see if TSAs crappy training and congenital incompetence can operate the durn thing well enough to make it workable.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll bet the gadget is also very good at detecting drugs.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The article says the containers don't have to be opened.

I'll reserve judgement on this tech until it sees some action with TSA and we see if TSAs crappy training and congenital incompetence can operate the durn thing well enough to make it workable.
I'm just questioning what will happen in practice. The TSA has previously shown considerable disregard for things that need to remain sterile or otherwise can't be opened until use. (Things which are intended to be wholly used at once and thus no mechanism is provided to reseal the container.)
Old May 3, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I see a problem:

It employs technology that currently enables the pharmaceutical industry to scan and verify medicines.
I work in the printing and packaging industry. Pharmaceutical is highly regulated and requires very specific packaging to meet regulations. The type of plastic is critical.

Transpose this to people bringing liquids through in everything from unopened bottles to bottles with flavor added. There are soft drinks, medications and possibly a cold beer for the wait. A lot of these have labels, either paper or printed. Some labels have foil (metal) substrates.

This has gigantic "FAIL" written all over it. Yes you can bring liquids, but only certain liquids in certain containers. Sure, that will work.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tkey75
Hey great! Something else to throw money at which eventually ends up in the storage facility.
If someone could find a good productive use for the Naked-o-vision machines they are mothballing he/she would be rich beyond the dreams of avarice!
Old May 5, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'll bet the gadget is also very good at detecting drugs.
Hey now! You know as well as I do that TSA does NOT look for drugs. They'll gladly let a drug Big Catch® go to focus on their mission.

Old May 6, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Each time I have passed through NRT, there is a sign to put your liquids in some machine; this has been for several years. I never carry liquids, so never used it. Do I assume this is something like what is being talked about by TSA?
Old May 6, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by relangford
Each time I have passed through NRT, there is a sign to put your liquids in some machine; this has been for several years. I never carry liquids, so never used it. Do I assume this is something like what is being talked about by TSA?
I had a 100 mL* refillable spray bottle scanned at NRT in 2010. They took it to another room** for about 30 seconds and came back saying "okay". So I didn't see it but my understanding is that it's the same as discussed here.

*With the manufacturer's barcode label saying "100 mL" plus my home-printed label saying "Febreze: 100 mL". But the spray mechanism takes up a lot of extra volume so it often gets an extra look.

*Yeah, I know, I let it out of my sight. But it's fabric spray, not food or medicine, and hey, it's Japan. So I didn't worry about it being contaminated.

Originally Posted by Aviatrix

Speaking of 2010, here's what I wrote almost exactly four years ago:
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
IdiotBoy Hawley: "Liquid limits to be eliminated soon, no, wait, uhh 2009, actually, I'm outta here."

TSA Spokes-idiot Sterling Payne in Sept 2009: "Liquid limits for at least another year."

Blogdad Bob in Oct 2009: "We haven't really figured out how to screen medically necessary liquids much less shampoo and water. Don't hold your breath."

Tagesschau.de: "Liquid limits to be eliminated in 2012."

RadioGirl's prediction: It will always be "2 or 3 years from now".
I stand by my last line. Go ahead, TSA, prove me wrong.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by relangford
No, the instruments used in Japan at the checkpoint use some sort of magnetic field measurement. I don't quite understand how it works, but it's not the same as the Cobalt Light system, which uses laser-based Raman spectroscopy. I'm not sure how reliable the two are in comparison.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brenc3
No, the instruments used in Japan at the checkpoint use some sort of magnetic field measurement. I don't quite understand how it works, but it's not the same as the Cobalt Light system, which uses laser-based Raman spectroscopy. I'm not sure how reliable the two are in comparison.
Don't be talkin' all tech like that at the CP, you might get to visit the little room, and not the one with porcelain seating. Big words could be bomb words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.